Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about a ranking system

Question about a ranking system

im wondering wat is the system call when the begginer starts with a black belt

Never heard of any system that starts you at a Black Belt. Well maybe if it was bought.

the belt is made out of silk if it helps lol?

It's just a ranking system someone made up. Probably doesn't have a name. Some kungfu schools set up their own ranking system but use silk sashes rather than karate belts. In Chinese martial arts there's not traditional ranking system.

99% of the CMA schools I've seen have ranking systems (only ones that don't are private-lesson-type schools with few students, like the longfist teacher I had).

The "traditional" tag is misleading. I think we ought to rather say "standardized".

There is no "standardized" system of ranking between any two schools. It's all based on the teacher.

Green Dragon Society in Chicago starts with a Black sash.

They probably mean that once you get your black you are now a master of the basics and you can now start learning the true system (?)

Quote Originally Posted by PKN View Post
    im wondering wat is the system call when the begginer starts with a black belt
    ying jow pai eagle claw system here in atlanta has a ranking system that starts with a black sash/belt and goes up to a white sash/belt. the master instructor wears a white one and the beginners wear black ... i dont think it matters
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

It is not uncommon for a school to start you off at black. Ranking in one MA doesn't have mean the same or follow the same rules as TaekwonDo and Karate etc.. . Southern Blue Dragon for example starts with no sash, then moonlight silver(which has nothing to do with fighting skills but is based soely on ones behavior over a year or more), blood red, royal purple for instructors and ends on masters gold.
    "Don't think,
    just train"

When i studied Northern Lohan years ago black sash was the second ranking a student got. After that the next was red sash and thats as far as I got.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!There Is only 1 STUDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the black sash is meant to hold up your pants and keep your stomach in. doesnt mean anything :dontknow:
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Some Tibetan White Crane schools, including mine, start with a black sash. This has been in use for a few generations. Black symbolizes humility and in Tibetan Buddhism, the lowest level of sentient beings. There are six colors in all, representing six levels of being, six emotions to be overcome, the six-syllable mantra (om-ma-ni-pe-me-hum) and six progressive stages of awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
    In Chinese martial arts there's not traditional ranking system.
    Yes, belt ranking systems are Japanese. It was adopted in the U.S. by CMA schools because of the familiarity Americans had with Karate.

CMA mostly had a familial hierarchy. To-dai, si-dai, si hing, tai si hing, si-fu, sigung. etc etc. Respectively, youngest brother, younger brother, older brother, oldest brother, father-teacher, teacher's teacher-Grandfather.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Some Tibetan White Crane schools, including mine, start with a black sash. This has been in use for a few generations. Black symbolizes humility and in Tibetan Buddhism, the lowest level of sentient beings. There are six colors in all, representing six levels of being, six emotions to be overcome, the six-syllable mantra (om-ma-ni-pe-me-hum) and six progressive stages of awareness.
    that's pretty cool.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

our society doesn't give it a name.
    we start off with nothing, and first sash is black.
    the ranking is strictly in house allowing other sifu to gauge each practioner's level of knowledge and/or exp.
    and at some point we come full circle back to black sash, signifying new beginnings.
    Just a Disciple, No One Special