Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 17 Annual Great Lakes Kung Fu Championships

17 Annual Great Lakes Kung Fu Championships

17TH ANNUAL GREAT LAKES KUNG FU CHAMPIONSHIPS & SHUAI-CHIAO / SAN SHOU NATIONALS

SATURDAY APRIL 19, 2008

CLEVELAND, OHIO

Presented by John H. Ervin Jr. and the SHAOLIN KUNG FU INSTITUTE

Traditional Northern and Southern Kung Fu Forms / Weapons

Continuous Light Contact Sparring

Shuai-Chiao (Chinese Grappling)

San Shou (Chinese Full Contact Fighting)

For registration and Hotel info

Contact John Ervin Jr.

216 587-KICK(3478)

Email: ginosifu@shaolininstitute.com

Web: http://www.shaolininstitute.com

Call Sifu Gino

Local Phone: 216 - 732 - 7757

We are open:

9AM -9PM Monday - Friday

9AM - 3PM Saturday

Eastern Standard Time Zone
    Last edited by ginosifu; 01-30-2008 at 07:58 AM.

I assume this is supposed to be April 19, 2008 (not 2007) right?

Opppps

2008 is the correct year

thanks

ginosifu

Any big names coming in for seminars?
    Thanks
    Jake

BTW you have the wrong date all over the web! May want to change it to avoid confusion
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Big Names

GM David Chang (Grandson of Great Grand Matser Chang Tung Sheng) will be giving a SC Seminar on Sunday.

I will post any new updates on my website...

Ginosifu

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    can you fill us in on the change back to the inclusion of forms?

Jake, you thinking about going? We'll be there...as if that's any sort of draw....

oh, Gino, you can edit your post if you want to change the date
    Last edited by Oso; 01-29-2008 at 07:54 PM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Forms / Weapons / Sparring etc..

Well, the reason we are going back to forms is that Sifu Tony Yang (host of the Wutang Tournament) is holding his tournament in Las Vegas. The tournament was held every October in Akron, Ohio, but since we are close in Cleveland, alot of form competitors called my Sifu and asked were they can find a Kung Fu Tournament here in the Great Lakes region.

Back in early 90's we had most all competitors from Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Kentucky etc etc. As tournaments became more common and everybody was holding there own, competitors started going to tournaments in their own neighborhood and traveled less. So we kinda narrowed things down to what we do best - Shuai Chiao and San Shou.

So for anyone who thinks they can beat my students in Forms, Weapons, 2 person sets, continuous sparring, SC, San Shou.... I dare you come on down.

Thanks Oso

Ginosifu

thanks for the info. ftr, I think it's cool to add it back in. when I was there in 2000 I was totally amazed at how effing huge an event it was.

I'm going to be doing my part whenever I talk to anyone to get more women out for the san shou. I've got one returning and one I hope to convince she could do ok in the beginner's bracket but we have to get more women involved in the fighting side.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Seminar with David Chang

* GM David Chang *

Grandson of the great

Chang Tung Sheng

Will give a Shuai Chiao seminar

Sunday April 20, 2008

After the Tournament

Please call or email for reservations:

Call = John H. Ervin Jr. - 216 587-3478

Call = Gino Belfiore - 216 732-7757

Email: ginosifu@shaolininstitute.com

Attachment 4384

What are rules for San Shou? Boxing gloves or open finger? Ring, mat or lei tai? Knees?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

as best I remember:

boxing gloves, headgear, chest gear, shin pads, mat, no knees in beginner division, not sure about open.

it was ran tournament style last year...best of 3, 2 minute rounds I think.

ring out rule: 2 ring out's in a round loses you the round.

San Shou Rules

INTERNATIONAL SAN SHOU RULES
    Edited in Nov. 97-2000 by Mark Wong

CHAPTER 3:COMPETITION AND OFFICIATING METHOD

Article 14 Methods of Attack and Defense
    Apply any school of wushu’s attack and defend methods.

Article 15 Valid parts
    The valid parts include the head, the trunk and the legs.

Article 16 Faults
    1 Attack the opponents back of head, the neck, the throat, or the crotch.
    2 Attack the opponent by using the head, the elbow, and the knee.
    3 Continuous hits to the opponent’s head.
    4 Use jointlock controls.
    5 Make the opponent fall with the head over heels on the platform or deliberately smash or weigh down his opponent.
    6 Attack the fallen down opponent (except the opponent who did so as a means of combat).
    7 Take an initiative hold of the opponent (except for the defensive hold of the legs and counter-make-fall such as a single or double leg takedown.)

Article 17 Absolute Victory

1 In an event of wide disparity in technique between two sides and one side has obviously lost the defending ability, the judge (referee) on the platform may, with the approval of the head judge, proclaim the stronger side to be the winner of the bout. Dominance
    2 A competitor will win the bout if his opponent is knocked down by a blow on a valid part and remains down for 10 seconds, or he can stand up but with abnormal consciousness.
    3 Approved by the head judge, a competitor will win a bout if he injured by his opponent’s foul attack and has been certified by a doctor that he is unable to compete again.
    4 In a round, if a competitor is twice off the platform (any part of the body has touched the ground), the other side will be the winner of the round.
    5 In a round, a competitor is hit at the valid part and given an 8 seconds count twice, his opponent wins the round.
    6 In a round, if a competitor applies the methods from the 2), 3), 4), 5) of article 18 and gains three points three times, he will win the round. Back sweep or throw

Article 18 Scoring Methods

1. Winning three (3) points
    A competitor will win three (3) points if:
    1 Punches, kicks, pushes or throws his opponent off the platform in a round.
    If it is done twice in one round, you win the round.
    2 Hit the opponent’s valid part (or down) by a spinning kick to the head or chest while remain standing.
    3 Make the opponent fall down (any part of the body, except the feet, has touched the ground) by a forward sweep or a backward sweep, while remain standing.
    4 Knock the opponent down by a leg kick, while remain standing.
    5 Make the opponent fall by a instinctive counter technique (including a sacrifice throw) while dodging defensively.

2 Winning Two Points
    A competitor will win two (2) points if:
    1 His opponent has fallen/thrown down while he himself remains standing.
    2 Kick the opponent in the trunk once by the legs.
    3 The opponent has been given a warning once. Three (3)warnings you are disqualified.
    4 All throws with thrower standing is two (2) points unless a high altitude (3pts) or if you fall
    on opponent or lose balance (1pts)
    3. Winning One Point
    A competitor will win one (1) point if:
    1 Hit the opponent on a valid part once by a hand techniques.
    2 Hit the opponent on the head or the legs once by a leg technique.
    3 When two sides show passivity in a fight for 8 seconds, the judge on the platform orders his the opponents to attack, but the opponent still remains passive for another 8 seconds after the order.
    (After 2 admonish-cautions you are warned)
    4 The opponent has been admonished (cautioned-warning) once.
    5 When both sides apply methods to force the opponent down, the later falls down will gain one point.

4 No Point Awarded
    No point will be awarded to either side when:
    1 Two sides hit each other on valid parts at the same time or successively. (Best to step back & punch)
    2 Both sides fall down or off the platform at the same time or successively.
    3 Throw the opponent to the ground or off the platform after holding him for five seconds or more.
    4 The opponent falls on the ground as a means of combat.
    5 The opponent falls on the ground after a flying movement.
    6 Two sides hit each other in a locked fight (clinch).
    7 Hit the lower leg when the opponent defends by raising his knee.
    8 Hit the valid part by a forward sweep or a backward sweep while being pressed down by the opponent.
    9 No clear technique and no obvious hit at the valid parts.

Article 19 Fouls and Penalties
    1. Technical Fouls
    1 After the judge on the platform (referee) signals the start, a competitor deliberately slows his march onto the platform or starts his fight after 5 seconds. (2 calls is the limit)
    2 Request for a time out when the competitor is at a disadvantage.
    3 Ungentlemanlike behavior to the judge or disobedience to his decision.
    4 Persistently shouting out loudly or impolitely during a fight to frighten or disturb ones opponent despite previous warnings by the judge.
    5 Spit out the gum shield or loosen the protective gear on purpose in a fight.
    6 Violate Article 9.

2. Personal fouls
    1 Attack the opponent before the judge on the platform (referee) gives the start signal or after he gives the stop signal.
    2 Use prohibited methods to attack.

3. Penalties (2pt deduct)
    1 An admonition will be given for a technical or a minor personal foul; but a warning will be given for an obvious personal foul.
    2 A competitor who has been penalized up to six (6) points in a match will be disqualified and his opponent will be the winner of the bout.
    3 A competitor who intentionally hurts his opponent or commits a serious foul will be disqualified from the bout or the whole competition accordingly.
    4 A competitor who is found guilty if doping and inhaling oxygen during a break , or employing trickery will be disqualified from the whole competition.

Article 20 Suspension of Fight
    The judge on the platform will suspend the fight in any of the following cases:
    1 A competitor has fallen down or off the platform.
    2 A competitor is injured.
    3 The competitors are locked in a confused fight (clinch) for more than two (or four) seconds.
    4 Both competitors refrain from attacking, and one of them shows passivity for a duration of eight seconds.
    5 The head judge comes up to the platform to solve problems. Or the coach throws in a towel.
    6 The head judge or other judges have spotted danger in a fight.
    7 The fight is interrupted by objective factors such as problems of lighting and arena.

Anyone can email me if you have questions about the San shou or Shuai Chiao Rules.

will there be divisions for internal styles (namely xing yi and tai ji)? if so, how will they be divided?

thanks

Internal Divisions

The Divisions will be as follows:

Tai Chi beginners

Tai Chi Intermediate

Yang/Wu Advanced

Chen Advanced

Ch'ang tai Chi

Tai Chi Other Beg.

Tai Chi Other Inter.

Tai Chi Other Adv.

If there are enough Judges and enough people that want to do Other internal Divisions, like Bagua, Xingyi, etc etc. we will see the day of the tournament.

Ginosifu

roll call

who's going?

I've got three of my students and myself, we'll be on the road tomorrow.

see ya there!