Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Wing Chun stance

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.O View Post
    i use my legs equal, but feet forward (maybe slightly inward)

the problems i have with the training stance are moving forward and getting "torque power" when my foot is allready turned....

but keep in mind that i'm only on SLT btw.... LOL
    I did the first form for a few years, so that doesn't mean anything. Someone can learn all three forms the first few months or just the first form. Its all about how the Sifu teaches the whole system. I learned elements of all the forms and many stages. Don't look at the forms as stages, like beginner, middle , master ect.. Thats complete BS that people create. Many people learn all the forms.. and still suck. Learn 1 form and know every little detail. Understand why on every single move. Understand how to apply everything.. its about quality not quantity.

The torque comes from the turning of the whole body. one connected mass, once you disconnect one part of the body from the other you loose the force. If you start with you foot turned in ( I do for the form, but not in drills) you still have all the torque. How does your sifu say to move forward? Does it feel very odd? If so probably somethings wrong.
    Last edited by monji112000; 01-30-2008 at 11:41 AM.

I did the first form for a few years, so that doesn't mean anything. Someone can learn all three forms the first few months or just the first form. Its all about how the Sifu teaches the whole system. I learned elements of all the forms and many stages. Don't look at the forms as stages, like beginner, middle , master ect.. Thats complete BS that people create. Many people learn all the forms.. and still suck. Learn 1 form and know every little detail. Understand why on every single move. Understand how to apply everything.. its about quality not quantity.
    totaly agree.... it's been about a year and a half, still on the first section due to me not wanting to do an assessment LOL so it's really down to me

i'll answer the rest when i get a bit of time

totaly agree.... it's been about a year and a half, still on the first section due to me not wanting to do an assessment LOL so it's really down to me

i'll answer the rest when i get a bit of time

A year and a half...first section...assessment? What do mean about assessment?
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

test /assesment = $ ? otherwise known as grades / belts/ carrots pursuit of almightyness because the paper says so

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    test /assesment = $ ? otherwise known as grades / belts/ carrots pursuit of almightyness because the paper says so
    ...this is what I'm afraid of...

a know.... but there's no escaping it tried it

there's no other wing chun teacher in my area... not one with the skill's of my sifu's

but what ye gonna do!

How does your sifu say to move forward? Does it feel very odd? If so probably somethings wrong.
    arc to the center line and forward going back slightly (left foot would be slightly off center to the left) so it would nearly be a half circle

but it's the back foot that's the problem rather than turning 45 degrees you have to turn 90 and also i end up on the ball of my foot, but i guess more practice would get rid of that

equal feet is less of a movement to get a solid stance, from the way i stand all i have to do is put my hip forward.... and i'm ready to go!

arc to the center line and forward going back slightly (left foot would be slightly off center to the left) so it would nearly be a half circle

but it's the back foot that's the problem rather than turning 45 degrees you have to turn 90 and also i end up on the ball of my foot, but i guess more practice would get rid of that

equal feet is less of a movement to get a solid stance, from the way i stand all i have to do is put my hip forward.... and i'm ready to go!
    OK our footwork is completely diff. good luck !

what style of wing chun do you do and how would you step?

what style of wing chun do you do and how would you step?
    Its hard to explain via words, and we have many ways of stepping but all are based on the basic turning of the horse. Even when you are not square, you still apply the basic ideas the same. If I am reacting to a hook or a round kick I would step one way vrs. using a low shin kick against a straight punch (stepping forward) to setup for a jam (arrow punch) and a cross or a push kick or something else.

If I'm stepping into a hook, I turn my horse to a 45 angle, in the this manner I am walking directly into the power. You can step slightly forward if you want, I have seen people just turn the horse.. I step forward.

If we are talking about stepping forward for a shin kick, its more about timing then footwork but footwork is important. stepping forward with your back foot, using your hips, leaning back.

I never mentioned covering, so you must also combine them with covering using the hands. You can move in any of the 8 basic directions, depending on the situation, and your need.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    If I'm stepping into a hook, I turn my horse to a 45 angle, in the this manner I am walking directly into the power. You can step slightly forward if you want, I have seen people just turn the horse.. I step forward.
    Stepping forward shuts off the power of the attack before it gets up to speed. This is defending through the front door and closing that gap is paramount IMO. But if your Kevin Gledhill, you wouldn't do this cause you might get wet. Just kidding, Kev!

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    Stepping forward shuts off the power of the attack before it gets up to speed. This is defending through the front door and closing that gap is paramount IMO. But if your Kevin Gledhill, you wouldn't do this cause you might get wet. Just kidding, Kev!
    Sorry my name isn't Kev its Brian just ask Dave.
    I don't believe stepping forward shuts the power off. You are catching it early, but more than enough power to knock you out exists still. If you attempt to just run in directly straight, if you are close enough (prob. not becouse he would not kick if you were), and if you are fast enough to beat him to the punch (I will never bet on that one unless I know for sure) then YES you can just jam in and punch. Don't try it in a real fight becouse the Ifs are not going to be yes. Don't assume you are fighting a moron, who kicks slower than my grandmother. You must always assume your enemy is better , stronger and faster.

turning your horse and stepping forward, allows you to use your structure, when combined with covering. Instead of trying to be faster than the person, you instead use technique. JMO and many others. anyway many answers exist.. I prefer this method but I know many people that prefer other methods. This method is the most basic, and fundamental.
    Last edited by monji112000; 01-31-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    Its hard to explain via words, and we have many ways of stepping but all are based on the basic turning of the horse. Even when you are not square, you still apply the basic ideas the same. If I am reacting to a hook or a round kick I would step one way vrs. using a low shin kick against a straight punch (stepping forward) to setup for a jam (arrow punch) and a cross or a push kick or something else.

If we are talking about stepping forward for a shin kick, its more about timing then footwork but footwork is important. stepping forward with your back foot, using your hips, leaning back.

I never mentioned covering, so you must also combine them with covering using the hands. You can move in any of the 8 basic directions, depending on the situation, and your need.
    cheers mate.... had to read it few times but i think i get the jist of it

so does your foot go straight from under your shoulder to the center, taking you from your op's center (@ a 45 degree angle)?

cheers mate.... had to read it few times but i think i get the jist of it

so does your foot go straight from under your shoulder to the center, taking you from your op's center (@ a 45 degree angle)?
    not sure what you mean. If we are talking about dealing with a hooking attack (hook, round kick), then your would step directly at a 45 degree angle with the foot nearer to the attacking limb. you would turn completely square into the coming force. You are off his center 100%, and you must turn back in (generating more power and covering). This is again only one answer, and only one type of footwork. I may find a picture or a old clip someone has online. The main idea is again to meet the force dead on, and use your structure to create a preferred impact point. If we are talking about a qwan sao, then its your elbow meeting his shin. This is a very "direct" but basic method. If you don't have a good structure or you don't cover correctly you will be knocked out.
    here is a very very old clip of my teacher's fellow classmate doing the circle drill using mostly this footwork. he is using a qwan sao for covering and then following with a tan sao and a punch.http://www.geocities.com/sifuleungmovies/102599a.mpg
    again its not sparring so don't take it as a real fight its just a drill
    Last edited by monji112000; 02-01-2008 at 10:34 AM.

a picture or a clip is needed i think LOL

but cheers for the help