Thread: Jay Chou's Kung Fu Dunk

Hybrid View

Jay Chou's Kung Fu Dunk

This article is in Chinese (follow the link for pics0. For all you non-Chinese-readers, here's the babelfish version:
    Leaps the news entertainment news: In 2008 "English emperor movie" prosperous times current, the good play is innumerable, now to global audience 寮哄娍recommendation peerless fierce piece — — "Greatly Fills Basket" (Kung Fu Dunk), has locked in 08 years on February 6 the bumper year 30, greatly offers at the entire Asian synchronization public New Year's greeting. Since ten several years human spirits have continued to explode the lamp Slam Dunk to be frantic, in addition surely the box office guaranteed Zhou Jielun (Zhou Dong) the incarnation fills the blue master, (Arab League Sa) this position "the ball has liked with human spirit extremely high Cai Zhuoyan being possible the person" to talk love, makes this piece since to begin shooting is continuously received pays attention, the imposing manner does not have the pairs for a while.

Zhou Dong in "Greatly Fills Basket" center to have on one's person in every possible way the unique skill, the perfect score 灏勭 is easy, could not think the company holds the fist in the other hand goes forth to battle also to be ever-victorious. In the play the most important host hits one of scenes, narrates him in order to promote the just rescue the friend which holds under duress, independent "the red flower show" in wickedly to fight with 80 good chaps, Zhou Dong not only takes off the foot to leave 閾佹嫵, but also causes the Bruce Lee classical unique skill double festival stick, no wonder the audience exclaimed in surprise for it, "Kills Makes Austria Masurium Huaman Sign" also to have to be more ruthless than.

According to the movement directs Cheng Xiaodong to indicate, when Zhou Dong Chujie this piece of script, has learned about has this dangerous play 鎴忎唤, he not only does not have the least bit to hesitate, even by oneself goes forth to battle, to make him without demur to deeply moved or touched. Cheng Xiaodong stated, because this play long amounts to more than 10 minutes, all is the cartoon type fights, therefore very many times need take lens, the command have photographed the difficulty to multiply.Zhou Dong needs to fly high after the glass table flies the leg, attractively falls to the ground immediately, comes a move of golden rooster to stand erect on tiptoes, by Cheng Xiaodong was described is "also must be higher than the Olympic Games soft gymnastics difficulty", is really inconceivable.

Treats when truly treats the position photography, Cheng Xiaodong first to Zhou Dong Yong speaks explained each move of movement and each walk the position details, after that abundantly said — again to the crew; — Cheng Xiaodong appears such anxiously, is because he did not allow this photography has the little piece mistake, otherwise is injured Zhou Dong, or makes in the broken field any priceless establishment and the stage prop, can be inconceivable. Finally is extremely lucky, everybody extremely is in harmony, from beginning to end only NG three then great work accomplished, Cheng Xiaodong has highly praised Zhou Dong's Wugong background first-class, possibly usually in the stage dances movement very many reasons, exercises the such nimble skill.

Actually this important 鎴忎唤 occurs background — — "The red flower show" also can not but raise. "The red flower show" is the bad individual contribution gathers, for suddenly reveals its empty boasting and the stance, the supervised manufacture and the director specially looks for 鍗犲湴 ten thousand foot spacious places, again contributes 2000000 to build, absolutely is scrupulous about every detail; Especially this 2 million "the bold attire", only is uses for to give the Zhou Dong's to do in play more than 10 minute hard war moves the background, after finished up namely is destroyed, appears heroic spirit 11000, does not hesitate the merit this.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Jay Chou coming up

Now I'm confused - is it called Kung Fu Dunk, Slam Dunk or Greatly Fills Basket? Or maybe it's Shamelessly-rips-off-Stephan-Chow?

Jay Chou to sing the Olympic theme
    Source: CCTV.com
    01-28-2008 08:36

Singer Jay Chou says he has ambitious plans for the first half of this year. He announced on Wednesday he's going to hold a solo concert on May 1st in Beijing, to mark the 100-day countdown to the Olympic Games.

From the mid-April to July, Jay Chou will give concerts in the cities of Hangzhou, Chongqing, Tianjin and Zhengzhou as stops on his world concert tour. The Beijing performance will be the seventh stop, and where he'll play at the Worker's Stadium. The Stadium is an Olympic football venue.

What will set the Beijing show apart from all the other stops on the tour is that Chou will offer his Beijing fans a song written especially for the upcoming Olympics. The BOCOG put out a call for Olympic songs from composers world-wide, and Chou will sing their musical creation.

Jay Chou, singer, said, "The Olympic song is going to be sung only during the Beijing concert. The melody is ready, and I'm waiting contributions from writers around the world to match the melody with appropriate lyrics."

Last year was a whirlwind for Jay Chou, who also caused a ripple in the movie world. He starred in "Slam Dunk" and presented his directorial debut "Secret", in which he also starred in. He was back to the sound studio later last year, releasing his eighth album "Jay Chou on the Run". He also kicked off his World Concert Tour at the end of the year, and so far he's been to Taipei, Shanghai and Guangzhou. Despite his many projects, he says he's maintaining focus.

Jay Chou, singer, said, "I think a person can't cope with too many things during one period. That probably results in unsatisfaction for everything. I'll put most of my energy in music and movie in 2008."

As Spring Festival approaches, Jay Chou revealed that he would be taken to the stage for the second time at CCTV's Spring Festival Gala. But he hasn't yet decided which song he'll perform. Chou also said that he would go home and see his mother right after his performance.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jay Chou

I had seen Jay Chou in the Initial D Movie. Regardless of what critics or people said, I liked it. His tracks for the soundtrack ( from what I heard throughout the movie) were pretty good. I was thinking of trying to get a copy of his album. He seems to be doing well.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

The trailer

This looks sooooo Shaolin Soccer to me - check it out.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

use kung fu to play basket ball.

Jay already has such a star power from singing.

it certainly would attract the same crowd/audience to the movie theater.

interesting to note that some of the other characters in the movie may start to have a career after this movie.

Nicholas Tse was a pop star who made a successful transition from singing to movies. Maybe Jay could do the same.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

I had this in my hands...

...but is was a region 9 from Korea. I don't think my current DVD player can handle region 9's. I got to get me another one of those cheap Chinatown universal DVD players. My last one crapped out.

"Kung Fu Dunk" Sequel on Director's Agenda
    2008-02-20 21:23:21 CRIENGLISH.com

Pop prince-turned actor Jay Chou's fourth movie, "Kung Fu Dunk," is leading the February box office. And it is not going to be just one blockbuster. It will be part of a duology, says its director.

Chu Yin-Ping on Monday told the Modern Express newspaper that work has begun on "Kung Fu Dunk II," which will explain all the unanswered questions in the current film.

"Kung Fu Dunk," starring Jay Chou as a kung-fu master and basketball player, opened in theaters on February 7. "There is much uncertainty deliberately left in the story, making space for further exploration," Chu says.

The director says a solid plot for the sequel is yet to be shaped, but he hopes to have onboard some basketball stars this time. NBA players Yao Ming and Yi Jianlian are on his list.

Chu had invited Yao Ming for the first installment, but Yao failed to make it due to a tight schedule.

"Kung Fu Dunk" crept over the 100 million yuan (US$14 million) box-office benchmark over the weekend.

The film has also generated a byproduct video game, featuring some of the characters, for mobile phone users.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I watched a version that had no sound of subtitles, but it didn't matter much.

A martial arts prodigy uses his kung fu to excel in basketball. This is exactly what it sounds like, a rip-off of Shaolin Soccer. Jay Chou is the lead but fails to live up to the promise he showed in Curse of the Golden Flower. He wanders through the film's CGI wire fu, attempted a dull Bruce Lee impersonation. There's some great actors in supporting roles around him like Eric Tsang (Infernal Affairs, Hitman) and Man Tat Ng (the coach from Shaolin Soccer :shock: ). There's some excellent CGI fu. There's also some funny/unique scenes and some interesting cinematography. There's even a few characters that remind me of people I know or knew - that's a little disturbing, truth be told. However the idea is so derivative and never gets past that. The ending is very Prisoner of Azkaban.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Variety review

Film is unlikely to triumph elsewhere

Kung Fu Dunk
    Gongfu guan lan (Taiwan-China-Hong Kong)
    By RUSSELL EDWARDS
    A Chang Hong Channel Film & Video (Taiwan), Shanghai Film Group Corp. (China), Emperor Motion Picture Intl. (Hong Kong) presentation of a Chang Hong Channel (Taiwan)/Shanghai Film Group (China) production. (International sales: Emperor, Hong Kong.) Produced by Xu Pengle, Fargo Pi. Executive producers, Wu Tun, Ren Zhonglun, Albert Yeung. Directed by Kevin Chu. Screenplay, Chu, Anne Wang, Lam Chiu-wing, inspired by the Japanese manga "SlamDunk!" by Takehiko Inoue.

With: Jay Chou, Charlene Choi, Eric Tsang, Chen Bo-lin, Baron Chen.

Basketball and Chinese martial arts combine to mildly amusing effect in pan-Chinese co-production "Kung Fu Dunk," headlined by Taiwanese singer-actor hearthrob Jay Chou ("Curse of the Golden Flower," "Secret"). Manga-inspired pic is armed with impressive (Mainland) visual effects and a story not too goofy to interfere with audience enjoyment. However, despite Chou's presence, result scored only solid B.O. in February, bested by Stephen Chow's "CJ7" in all Chinese-language territories. Film is unlikely to triumph elsewhere.

Abandoned by his parents next to a Shanghai kung-fu school, Fang Shijie (Chou) grows up to become its star student. A chance meeting with bankrupt entrepreneur Uncle Li (Eric Tsang, in cuddly mode) leads to the youth being placed on a university basketball team, with the PR angle that the orphan is searching for his real parents as he plays. In fact, Fang is more interested in wooing comely student Lily (Charlene Choi). Helming by prolific Taiwanese journeyman Kevin Chu (aka Chu Yen-ping) is functional, but pic comes to life in the sequences staged by Hong Kong action maestro Ching Siu-tung. Cast hits the right tone, with Chou maintaining his trademark bemused naivete.

Camera (color), Zhao Xiaoding; editor, Chen Po-Wen; music, Jay Chou; production designer, Yee Chung-man. Reviewed at Hong Kong FilMart, March 19, 2008. Mandarin, Cantonese dialogue. Running time: 95 MIN.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It triumphed enough for a sequel

Andy Lau - that ratchets it up a notch.

Andy to join the cast of Kung Fu Dunk 2
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 | | |

Jay Chou's Kung Fu Dunk has a good box office taking during the Chinese New Year festive period, its cast and relax story had won good reviews. It is understand that Kung Fu Dunk 2 will start shooting soon, this time round Jay will be the co-director with Andrew Lau. Andy Lau will join the cast for the sequel but character had yet being decided.

Despite Kung Fu Dunk is marketed to young audience, but evergreen heavenly king Andy Lau also want a piece of this market. The reporter understand that the cast of the sequel will be larger than the first film as other than the middle-man Eric Tsang, Jay Chou would not be the only main male lead as Andy will be joining the cast and will take up an important character.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Amazing

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

and now a word from gary oldman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIaWo-BlBjs&sns=fb

Too awesome for mere words !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Kung Fu Dunk is real

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips