Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: International Health Qigong Association

Hybrid View

International Health Qigong Association

Anyone here associated with the CHQA?
    Qigong getting popular as China goes global

"Going abroad" has become a popular phrase in China as its fast growing enterprises are doing more business outside. Traditional Chinese culture is also following this trend. Qigong, one of the cultural symbols, is going abroad to show off the skills which have taken thousands of years to develop.

When Chinese around the world celebrate their Lunar New Year next month, six delegations, organized by the Chinese Health Qigong Association (CHQA), will visit seven countries - Canada, Britain, France, Belgium, Germany, Australia and the United States, all places they have never been before.

During the visits, 40 plus trainers of qigong, a system of deep breathing exercises, will demonstrate their skills in squares of big cities, and hold news conferences to introduce this Chinese traditional art of fitness.

According to Zou Jijun, vice president and secretary general of the CHQA, these qigong trainers are professors in sports universities, and state-level trainers from China's provincial areas. In order to better promote Health Qigong, they will also train local trainers so that the trainers can spread the concept abroad.

"Health Qigong is a gem of Chinese traditional culture. Its Chinese characteristics and healthy lifestyle may attract foreigners who are interested in Chinese culture and health," said Zou.

As the double-digit growth of China's economy continues, Chinese traditional culture has become a focus for the outside world. Some typical Chinese symbols, like martial arts, acupuncture and tai chi have spread around the globe.

Qigong (also written as Chi Kung) refers to the type of exercise that manages the health of mind, body and breath. The word consists of two Chinese characters: qi and gong. Qi, as used in the context of the phrase qigong, refers to both the signal that controls the functioning of the body and the actual functions of the body. The word gong is the short form for gong fu (kung fu), which means training with time and effort.

In its 5,000-year history, qigong has absorbed different traditional Chinese cultural schools. The CHQA said that Confucians practise qigong to cultivate mind and body; Taoists and Buddhists do it to transcend worldliness; Chinese doctors use it to cure illness and maintain health; and martial arts practitioners do it to defend and fight attacks.

Nowadays, qigong has been classified into two categories: one is Medical Qigong, which is used in some Chinese traditional medical treatment, and the other is Health Qigong, which people use to stay healthy.

Zou said that based on traditional qigong practices and the needs of modern society, the CHQA has released four sets of practice forms, the oldest one of which, Wu Qin Xi (Frolics of Five Animals) dates back some 2,000 years ago. They have been widely practiced in China. Chinese people practiced it to prevent minor diseases, improve their immune system and prolong life.

"Body activity can decrease fat, while strength practice can prevent calcium depletion, which is the major cause of osteoporosis. It also can help improve heart-lung function. Adjusting the breath can improve the functions of internal organs," said Professor Hu Xiaofei of Beijing Sports University. Hu is a professor with and an expert in sports health preservation. As a member of a delegation, Hu will visit the United States next month as a trainer.

Because of its effectiveness, Health Qigong is popular. Every morning, senior citizens gather in parks and on riverbanks to practise qigong, making it a typical scene of Chinese city life. Zou with the CHQA said that more than 80 million people practise qigong throughout China.

At the same time, foreign people have been attracted to qigong. Etsuko Kunisada, aged 31, is an example. She gave up her well-paid job in a bank in Japan's Osaka March last year when she decided to go to Beijing. Later, she became a fan of Chinese culture and began to practise tai chi. After a year of practice, she found it was still interesting, but had become more and more difficult.

"When I practise tai chi, I need to practise how to breathe. I find that tai chi and qigong are interrelated, and qigong can help me breathe more smoothly," said Etsuko. So she began to practise qigong three times a week at Beijing Sports University (BSU). According to the BSU, hundreds of foreigners like Etsuko come to the university to study qigong every year.

In order to attract more foreign practitioners, Zou said the CHQA has held three rounds of overseas promotion activities since 2006. They have visited nearly 30 countries, in which more than 50,000 foreign people watched their demonstrations, while 10,000 plus began to practise the exercise. Now the CHQA has more than 50organizations overseas, and deployed trainers in 29 countries. A total of 36 promotion activities have been planned for this year.

"Qigong is a kind of vehicle, through which foreign practitioners can better understand China and its traditional culture," said Zou. When people enjoy their Chinese-style fitness, they experience the unique Chinese concept of life and humanity at the same time.

As the number of practitioners of tai chi and qigong is increasing in Japan, Etsuko hoped she could open a Chinese fitness center after returning home. With this promotion method of training the trainers, Zou Jijun of the CHQA believes that more and more foreigners will be interested in Health Qigong.

"We are trying to introduce to the outside world a healthy lifestyle," said Professor Hu Xiaofei, adding excessive nutrition and insufficient body exercise cause a lot of modern diseases, while the ancient Chinese noted some 2,000 years ago that being moderate in eating was a healthy habit.

"Most of China's senior citizens enjoy healthy lives. They practise tai chi and qigong in the parks every morning, instead of laying on a bed with their lives being maintained by medical equipment," said Hu.

"The concept of integration in China's health philosophy is different from western medicine. By adjusting body, breath, and mind, qigong makes the practitioners healthy and strong. Foreigners may be interested in this integrated method," said Zou.

Besides the attitude to health, qigong embraces far more Chinese life philosophy, said Hu. Qigong practitioners have to concentrate their minds when practicing. They have to be peaceful and quiet during their practicing. Qigong needs a moderate attitude, instead of being emulative in competitive sports. All these requirements will help build a moderate, peaceful and amiable character, a typical Chinese person's character created mostly by Confucian philosophy.

"In the Chinese concept of health, the body, mind, moral character and self-cultivation are all interrelated, thus practicing qigong is learning the Chinese way to conduct oneself in society at the same time," said Hu.

However, Hu believes what's more important is that the philosophy qigong embraces promotes not only the integration of body and mind, but also the environment and mankind, society and individuals. In the rapidly growing modern international society challenged by environmental pollution and social conflicts, this philosophy seems critical for building a harmonious world.

"When people have fewer diseases and material desires, they can live in harmony and peace," said Hu. "However, a result-oriented attitude may lead to problems and failure. Instead, we should enjoy the process and practise the lifestyle."

(Xinhua News Agency January 26, 2008)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

public Qigong ---- a misleading training.

We're involved with the CHQA

I updated this thread once before but it must have got lost in a forum blip. Such is the web sometimes....

The Tiger Claw Foundation supported a Qigong Symposium and Training Workshop with the CHQA in October 2008 at Ohlone College. I covered that personally in Chinese Health Qigong Association Holds Symposium at Ohlone College in our January February 2009 issue. As a result, we've run some more articles on the CHQA, including Health Qigong Association USA Launches by Sue Woo and a complete version of 5 Animal Frolics demonstrated by Zhang Yunya, an official of CHQA, and written by Annie Rose. Both of those articles appeared in our 2009 March/April issue. There was a folllow-up article in our 2009 May/June issue: Chinese Health Qigong Association hosted by UEWM and HQAUSA By Sue Woo.

We shot the sequences for all four official forms. They will be released in upcoming issues, although we're tentative on the six healing sounds since it might not communicate well in print.

Our forum sponsors, MartialArtsMart.com, also now carries the complete DVD, book and music series for CHQA.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Check out our new issue

In the 2009 November/December issue, hitting the stands now, The 8 Section Brocade By Annie Rose is the complete 8 Section Brocade (Baduanjin) of the CHQA as demonstrated by Dr. Yang Yubin.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Health Qigong exhibition event

We'll be holding a Health Qigong exhibition division for Tiger Claw's KungFuMagazine.com Championship III. The rules, based loosely on the IHQA model, are now posted.

This exhibition division is a benefit for the Tiger Claw Foundation.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

CHQA Qigong Workshops

The Tiger Claw Foundation is supporting CHQA Qigong Workshops on April 6, 2012 in Irvine CA and April 7, 2012 in El Monte, CA.

THE TIGER CLAW FOUNDATION IS GIVING AWAY TICKETS TO THESE WORKSHOPS. We will be giving away 8 tickets to each event. For your chance to win, email ninjastar@KungFuMagazine.com with the heading ‘Irvine’ or ‘El Monte’. Limited to one entry for each event per person. All entries must be received by 3:00 PM PST on Wednesday April 4th, 2012. Winners will be notified by email. General online sweepstakes rules apply. PLEASE DO NOT ENTER IF YOU CANNOT ATTEND.

In cooperation with Joyofwushu.com and KungFuMagazine.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sport qigong

I was just about to change the title of this thread from Chinese Health Qigong Association to International Health Qigong Association, and then I read in this article "International Health Qigong Federation (IHQF)". WTF? (what the federation?)
    Qigong becoming popular sport in modern life
    English.news.cn 2013-08-21 06:07:55

PARSIPPANY, New Jersey, Aug. 20 (Xinhua) -- When it rains, it pours. This sounds particularly true for Laurent Chabres. Sixteen years ago, the year before Laurent Chabres was diagnosed with cancer, his wife separated with him, and he lost job due to the bankruptcy of his company. All of a sudden, he was left in a condition of absolute desperation.

"Thanks to Qigong, it allows me to change," said Laurent, 53. " I started to change my habit by doing exercise, and calming my mind. After many years of practice, I feel very healthy now."

Laurent, who came from Mexico and now leads a Mexican foundation in health, told Xinhua at the 5th International Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange held here Tuesday, "Qigong reflected physically what internally I was feeling. You know when you were feeling peace inside, then you can overcome any sickness. "

"Therefore, the practice of Qigong just matched very close to my need as a sick person to be in peace," he said.

Laurent is one of the 257 athletes representing 26 countries to participate in the team contests of Health Qigong aiming to increase skills and enhance international friendship.

According to him, the foundation in Mexico has offered more than 350 sick people the practice of Qigong for overcoming cancer and has treated 2,500 patients so far.

"I want to be part of the effort to convince people that they should practice Qigong for finding health inside, not outside. Qigong is not injection or pill, Qigong is like a special sport beneficial to one's health from inside to outside," he added.

The week-long International Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange, sponsored by the International Health Qigong Federation (IHQF), is held for the first time in New York City and New Jersey in the United States. It becomes the largest event ever hosted by the IHQF.

The event provides multiple activities including forum, tournament, training and examination. The traditional Chinese culture is presented by rigorous scientific presentation, colorful demonstration and performance, and high standard technical training.

According to IHQF, the total number of Health Qigong trainees worldwide is about 1.7 million. It is expected that Health Qigong will be introduced to 60 countries and regions by 2018.

Cynthia Simmons, an American working for NASA as an engineer, also told Xinhua that a miracle happened to her after she practiced Qigong for one year. Medical exam showed her bone density was higher and blood pressure was better, while, according to her, practicing Qigong is the only thing she changed in her life.

"I did not do any other exercise, and did not change my diet. The first thing I do after I wake up is practicing Qigong and then I will go and eat. It's amazing that practicing Qigong can improve my health," she said.

Cynthia has been practicing Qigong for eight years. "Everybody in the U.S. is interested in heath, I believe Qigong can help you relieve stress and calm you down. Now I feel I have energy inside. "

Olga Luckyanenko, also an American representing another team in the tournament, is a lover of Chinese culture and Chinese philosophy. Dressed in the green Chinese Qigong robe, she and her teammates were invited to perform in the opening ceremony before the competition begins.

"Chinese culture is unique, you move your body and it gives you support. I like it more and more. It makes you strong because it makes you hold the position, let your legs get stronger. I can feel the hidden power of it," she said.

She was a horse riding teacher before, but as she grows older, she found the sport is too rough, while Qigong, offering a smoother way to do exercise, has become her favorite sport. " Qigong does things slowly, make you more comfortable and relaxed," she said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

When I would visit family in Canada (Toronto and Montreal Chinatown) the CHQA? would have local individuals who would teach for a minimal fee as part of the qigong health movement. I found it positive because of the exposure and 'de-mystification' process, which was the exact opposite when learning in USA.

Also, there was more learning tools and book in English, which were more readily available!

5th International Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange

Did anyone here go to this? Do we even have any members from Jersey?

Qigong becoming popular sport in modern life
    English.news.cn 2013-08-21 06:07:55

PARSIPPANY, New Jersey, Aug. 20 (Xinhua) -- When it rains, it pours. This sounds particularly true for Laurent Chabres. Sixteen years ago, the year before Laurent Chabres was diagnosed with cancer, his wife separated with him, and he lost job due to the bankruptcy of his company. All of a sudden, he was left in a condition of absolute desperation.

"Thanks to Qigong, it allows me to change," said Laurent, 53. " I started to change my habit by doing exercise, and calming my mind. After many years of practice, I feel very healthy now."

Laurent, who came from Mexico and now leads a Mexican foundation in health, told Xinhua at the 5th International Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange held here Tuesday, "Qigong reflected physically what internally I was feeling. You know when you were feeling peace inside, then you can overcome any sickness. "

"Therefore, the practice of Qigong just matched very close to my need as a sick person to be in peace," he said.

Laurent is one of the 257 athletes representing 26 countries to participate in the team contests of Health Qigong aiming to increase skills and enhance international friendship.

According to him, the foundation in Mexico has offered more than 350 sick people the practice of Qigong for overcoming cancer and has treated 2,500 patients so far.

"I want to be part of the effort to convince people that they should practice Qigong for finding health inside, not outside. Qigong is not injection or pill, Qigong is like a special sport beneficial to one's health from inside to outside," he added.

The week-long International Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange, sponsored by the International Health Qigong Federation (IHQF), is held for the first time in New York City and New Jersey in the United States. It becomes the largest event ever hosted by the IHQF.

The event provides multiple activities including forum, tournament, training and examination. The traditional Chinese culture is presented by rigorous scientific presentation, colorful demonstration and performance, and high standard technical training.

According to IHQF, the total number of Health Qigong trainees worldwide is about 1.7 million. It is expected that Health Qigong will be introduced to 60 countries and regions by 2018.

Cynthia Simmons, an American working for NASA as an engineer, also told Xinhua that a miracle happened to her after she practiced Qigong for one year. Medical exam showed her bone density was higher and blood pressure was better, while, according to her, practicing Qigong is the only thing she changed in her life.

"I did not do any other exercise, and did not change my diet. The first thing I do after I wake up is practicing Qigong and then I will go and eat. It's amazing that practicing Qigong can improve my health," she said.

Cynthia has been practicing Qigong for eight years. "Everybody in the U.S. is interested in heath, I believe Qigong can help you relieve stress and calm you down. Now I feel I have energy inside. "

Olga Luckyanenko, also an American representing another team in the tournament, is a lover of Chinese culture and Chinese philosophy. Dressed in the green Chinese Qigong robe, she and her teammates were invited to perform in the opening ceremony before the competition begins.

"Chinese culture is unique, you move your body and it gives you support. I like it more and more. It makes you strong because it makes you hold the position, let your legs get stronger. I can feel the hidden power of it," she said.

She was a horse riding teacher before, but as she grows older, she found the sport is too rough, while Qigong, offering a smoother way to do exercise, has become her favorite sport. " Qigong does things slowly, make you more comfortable and relaxed," she said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I have some students who are associated with the CHQA in China. I think the group has done a lot of good; they publish a lot of books and generally the standards of training is very high.

My main criticism of the training they espouse is that it seems to mirror what a lot of taiji schools do. Students are encouraged to move onto another, more advanced qigong routine as soon as they finish learning one. One of my students said she learned 10 different routines within a year. Granted, she was a full-time student, so she could perform them well, but the point of qigong is to receive the benefit of the practice over time.

Also, there was a time when they emphasized that the CHQA is the only entity in the world legally permitted to teach qigong. I assumed that they meant in China, but they were very adamant that there would be a time in the future where foreign teachers would be required to get a permit through them to teach.

I preferred it when it was a general way to learn the various routines. Many teachers sell it as a way to be 'certified' to teach to the general public.

I thought they were offering this already

Shi Yanran's schools really deserve their own thread because they are official cultural centers, but I'm not going to merge all the past threads right now. Maybe in the future...

Shaolin Kungfu advocates promote traditional Chinese health preservation service in U.S.
    Source: Xinhua| 2018-09-02 07:44:38|Editor: Xiang Bo

SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 1 (Xinhua) -- Built on its success of Kungfu classes, Shaolin Temple USA will start offering Shaolin Chan Medicine service and Health Qigong classes in the San Francisco Bay Area starting on Oct. 2.

Since founded in 2007, the non-profit organization committed to promoting Chinese martial arts in the United States has set up four centers in the Bay Area and another in Herndon, Virginia, with more than 1,000 students currently enrolled, said Yan Ran, chairman of Shaolin Temple USA, on Saturday.

"Many residents came to our centers seeking alternative treatment for sub-health conditions, such as back pain and weakness. We hope to combine Shaolin Kungfu with Shaolin Chan (Zen) medicine and Health Qigong to better serve the students and residents," said Yan Ran.

The Shaolin Chan Medicine, which combines the medicine of Chinese Buddhism and traditional Chinese medicine, has a history of over 1,000 years. It's closely related to the development of Shaolin Kungfu. Most of the prominent Shaolin monks in history were versed in Chan, Kungfu and medicine.

In recent years, Shaolin Medicine, a health care provider has published books on Shaolin medical practice over 800 years ago, has rediscovered secret prescriptions of Shaolin Medicine.

"Shaolin Medicine is ready to share those prescriptions with the world. It also plans to send experts to overseas Shaolin culture centers to provide health care service," said Yan Ran.

Like Kungfu, Chinese Qigong is getting increasingly popular among Americans in the Bay Area as they benefit from the breath-regulating exercise.

"I feel more balanced and energetic (after the exercise)," said a local resident, 69, who preferred to be identified as Sally W. She attended a Health Qigong demonstration at the San Francisco center of Shaolin Temple USA.

She was introduced to practice Qigong five years ago by her husband, who has been doing the ancient Chinese form of exercise for 10 years.

She said she preferred Qigong to other physical exercises because of the slow and gentle style and relaxed mind.

Health Qigong is a new form evolved from the traditional Qigong to meet the requirement of practitioners in modern society.

The Chinese Health Qigong Association has organized experts to create eight exercises of Health Qigong based on traditional Qigong theory, including Yi Jin Jing (Muscle-Tendon Change Classic), Wu Qin Xi (Five Animal Frolics), Ba Duan Jin (Eight Section Brocade) and Da Wu (Big Dance).

Health Qigong is a traditional national sport in China, which aligns physical movement, breath and mind adjustments as the major form of exercise, said Yan Ran.

It's a health-preserving exercise that can improve the functions of the body, he said.

To promote cultural exchanges between the United States and China, Shaolin Temple USA and the Wushu (Martial Arts) Department of Xi'an Physical Education have recently teamed up to send Chinese professors and students to the United States starting early next year.

The professors will help train Kungfu instructors, while the students will have the opportunity to receive training on qualifying for International Wushu Judges and to participate in international Wushu competitions in the United States, according to Yan Ran.
    THREADS:
    Stanford Shaolin
    International Health Qigong Tournaments & Gatherings
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More coop between STUSA & CHQA

Chinese Qigong embraces modern fitness
    Last Updated: 2018-11-13 09:58 | Xinhua

A delegation of four Qigong masters from China is visiting the San Francisco Bay Area to train Qigong practitioners at a series of events.

The workshop, titled "Chinese Health Qigong: Ancient health enhancing exercises for modern fitness," is organized by Shaolin Temple USA and the Chinese Health Qigong Association (CHQA).

During the four-day program from Thursday to Sunday, the delegation, composed of experts from the CHQA and some Chinese universities, demonstrated health Qigong and gave lectures on methods of traditional Chinese health preservation to local audiences.

"The health Qigong is a new and essential form selected from many different versions of traditional Qigong to meet the requirement of modern practitioners," said Gao Lanjie, vice secretary-general of the CHQA.

By aligning physical movement, breath and mind adjustments, health Qigong aims at improving the functions of the body, Gao added.

"Most of our students in this workshop are adults. They are mostly engineers from Silicon Valley high-tech companies," said Heng Yuan, a senior instructor at the Fremont school of Shaolin Temple USA.

"They keep practicing Qigong because they feel the benefit of it," he said. "If you can keep practicing for a month, you'll be able to feel the difference."

Health Qigong has been actively promoted to other countries in the last 10 years. About 2.5 million people are exercising health Qigong in more than 50 countries and regions, according to Gao.

She said health Qigong is increasingly being recognized by the overseas authorities. In the United States, roughly 50,000 people are practicing it.
    THREADS:
    Stanford Shaolin
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Carry forward the spirit

Inheritor of Huo-style boxing devoted to carrying forward martial arts spirit(1/10)
    2018-12-05 09:00:39 Xinhua Editor :Li Yan

Huo Jinghong, the 5th generation descendant of Huo Yuanjia, a Chinese martial arts master, poses in front of Huo Yuanjia Memorial in Xiaonanhe Village of Jingwu Township in Tianjin, north China's Municipality, Nov. 28, 2018. As the descendant of Huo Yuanjia, one of China's most revered martial arts masters, Huo Jinghong, 41, started practicing martial arts at the age of 5. After her graduation from the Wushu School of Beijing Sport University in major of Wushu Routine, Huo started her career as a gym teacher of Tianjin University of Commerce in the year of 2000. As a gym teacher, Huo teaches martial arts for the university team and offers classes on health Qigong, a new form selected from different versions of traditional Qigong for modern fitness, in the university. Later in 2015, Huo became the inheritor of Huo-style boxing, which was listed as an intangible cultural heritage in Tianjin, and since then, she has devoted herself to the inheritance and development of the martial arts handed down from the older generation of Huo's family. She hoped that the Huo-style boxing would help people understand more about the Chinese martial arts. Huo Yuanjia was born in Tianjin in 1868. He founded the Chin Woo Athletic Association in 1910 in Shanghai and advocated the spirit of "patriotism, self-cultivation, justice, and helpfulness", which remain among the key tenets of martial arts today. Now Huo Jinghong is devoting her efforts to carry forward the spirit. (Xinhua/Yue Yuewei)

I would really love to meet Huo Jinghong and/or get a story on her.

THREADS:
    Huo Yuanjia's great granddaughter Huo Jianhong
    Health Qigong
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First Asian Health Qigong Tournament & Exchange to be held in SW China

Source: Xinhua| 2019-10-18 20:04:21|Editor: mingmei

KUNMING, Oct. 18 (Xinhua) -- The first Asian Health Qigong Tournament & Exchange will kick off on October 25 in Lijiang city, China's southwest Yunnan Province, the organizers announced on Friday.

A total of 387 players from eight countries and regions will compete in the competition, which was divided into two age groups: those under 50 and over 50.

The event is hosted by the International Health Qigong Federation, Chinese Health Qigong Association, Yunnan Provincial Sports Bureau and Lijiang Municipal People's government.
    I have a hard time grokking qigong as a competitive sport.

THREADS
    Asian Health Qigong Tournament & Exchange

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips