Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: International Health Qigong Association

International Health Qigong Association

Anyone here associated with the CHQA?
    Qigong getting popular as China goes global

"Going abroad" has become a popular phrase in China as its fast growing enterprises are doing more business outside. Traditional Chinese culture is also following this trend. Qigong, one of the cultural symbols, is going abroad to show off the skills which have taken thousands of years to develop.

When Chinese around the world celebrate their Lunar New Year next month, six delegations, organized by the Chinese Health Qigong Association (CHQA), will visit seven countries - Canada, Britain, France, Belgium, Germany, Australia and the United States, all places they have never been before.

During the visits, 40 plus trainers of qigong, a system of deep breathing exercises, will demonstrate their skills in squares of big cities, and hold news conferences to introduce this Chinese traditional art of fitness.

According to Zou Jijun, vice president and secretary general of the CHQA, these qigong trainers are professors in sports universities, and state-level trainers from China's provincial areas. In order to better promote Health Qigong, they will also train local trainers so that the trainers can spread the concept abroad.

"Health Qigong is a gem of Chinese traditional culture. Its Chinese characteristics and healthy lifestyle may attract foreigners who are interested in Chinese culture and health," said Zou.

As the double-digit growth of China's economy continues, Chinese traditional culture has become a focus for the outside world. Some typical Chinese symbols, like martial arts, acupuncture and tai chi have spread around the globe.

Qigong (also written as Chi Kung) refers to the type of exercise that manages the health of mind, body and breath. The word consists of two Chinese characters: qi and gong. Qi, as used in the context of the phrase qigong, refers to both the signal that controls the functioning of the body and the actual functions of the body. The word gong is the short form for gong fu (kung fu), which means training with time and effort.

In its 5,000-year history, qigong has absorbed different traditional Chinese cultural schools. The CHQA said that Confucians practise qigong to cultivate mind and body; Taoists and Buddhists do it to transcend worldliness; Chinese doctors use it to cure illness and maintain health; and martial arts practitioners do it to defend and fight attacks.

Nowadays, qigong has been classified into two categories: one is Medical Qigong, which is used in some Chinese traditional medical treatment, and the other is Health Qigong, which people use to stay healthy.

Zou said that based on traditional qigong practices and the needs of modern society, the CHQA has released four sets of practice forms, the oldest one of which, Wu Qin Xi (Frolics of Five Animals) dates back some 2,000 years ago. They have been widely practiced in China. Chinese people practiced it to prevent minor diseases, improve their immune system and prolong life.

"Body activity can decrease fat, while strength practice can prevent calcium depletion, which is the major cause of osteoporosis. It also can help improve heart-lung function. Adjusting the breath can improve the functions of internal organs," said Professor Hu Xiaofei of Beijing Sports University. Hu is a professor with and an expert in sports health preservation. As a member of a delegation, Hu will visit the United States next month as a trainer.

Because of its effectiveness, Health Qigong is popular. Every morning, senior citizens gather in parks and on riverbanks to practise qigong, making it a typical scene of Chinese city life. Zou with the CHQA said that more than 80 million people practise qigong throughout China.

At the same time, foreign people have been attracted to qigong. Etsuko Kunisada, aged 31, is an example. She gave up her well-paid job in a bank in Japan's Osaka March last year when she decided to go to Beijing. Later, she became a fan of Chinese culture and began to practise tai chi. After a year of practice, she found it was still interesting, but had become more and more difficult.

"When I practise tai chi, I need to practise how to breathe. I find that tai chi and qigong are interrelated, and qigong can help me breathe more smoothly," said Etsuko. So she began to practise qigong three times a week at Beijing Sports University (BSU). According to the BSU, hundreds of foreigners like Etsuko come to the university to study qigong every year.

In order to attract more foreign practitioners, Zou said the CHQA has held three rounds of overseas promotion activities since 2006. They have visited nearly 30 countries, in which more than 50,000 foreign people watched their demonstrations, while 10,000 plus began to practise the exercise. Now the CHQA has more than 50organizations overseas, and deployed trainers in 29 countries. A total of 36 promotion activities have been planned for this year.

"Qigong is a kind of vehicle, through which foreign practitioners can better understand China and its traditional culture," said Zou. When people enjoy their Chinese-style fitness, they experience the unique Chinese concept of life and humanity at the same time.

As the number of practitioners of tai chi and qigong is increasing in Japan, Etsuko hoped she could open a Chinese fitness center after returning home. With this promotion method of training the trainers, Zou Jijun of the CHQA believes that more and more foreigners will be interested in Health Qigong.

"We are trying to introduce to the outside world a healthy lifestyle," said Professor Hu Xiaofei, adding excessive nutrition and insufficient body exercise cause a lot of modern diseases, while the ancient Chinese noted some 2,000 years ago that being moderate in eating was a healthy habit.

"Most of China's senior citizens enjoy healthy lives. They practise tai chi and qigong in the parks every morning, instead of laying on a bed with their lives being maintained by medical equipment," said Hu.

"The concept of integration in China's health philosophy is different from western medicine. By adjusting body, breath, and mind, qigong makes the practitioners healthy and strong. Foreigners may be interested in this integrated method," said Zou.

Besides the attitude to health, qigong embraces far more Chinese life philosophy, said Hu. Qigong practitioners have to concentrate their minds when practicing. They have to be peaceful and quiet during their practicing. Qigong needs a moderate attitude, instead of being emulative in competitive sports. All these requirements will help build a moderate, peaceful and amiable character, a typical Chinese person's character created mostly by Confucian philosophy.

"In the Chinese concept of health, the body, mind, moral character and self-cultivation are all interrelated, thus practicing qigong is learning the Chinese way to conduct oneself in society at the same time," said Hu.

However, Hu believes what's more important is that the philosophy qigong embraces promotes not only the integration of body and mind, but also the environment and mankind, society and individuals. In the rapidly growing modern international society challenged by environmental pollution and social conflicts, this philosophy seems critical for building a harmonious world.

"When people have fewer diseases and material desires, they can live in harmony and peace," said Hu. "However, a result-oriented attitude may lead to problems and failure. Instead, we should enjoy the process and practise the lifestyle."

(Xinhua News Agency January 26, 2008)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

public Qigong ---- a misleading training.

We're involved with the CHQA

I updated this thread once before but it must have got lost in a forum blip. Such is the web sometimes....

The Tiger Claw Foundation supported a Qigong Symposium and Training Workshop with the CHQA in October 2008 at Ohlone College. I covered that personally in Chinese Health Qigong Association Holds Symposium at Ohlone College in our January February 2009 issue. As a result, we've run some more articles on the CHQA, including Health Qigong Association USA Launches by Sue Woo and a complete version of 5 Animal Frolics demonstrated by Zhang Yunya, an official of CHQA, and written by Annie Rose. Both of those articles appeared in our 2009 March/April issue. There was a folllow-up article in our 2009 May/June issue: Chinese Health Qigong Association hosted by UEWM and HQAUSA By Sue Woo.

We shot the sequences for all four official forms. They will be released in upcoming issues, although we're tentative on the six healing sounds since it might not communicate well in print.

Our forum sponsors, MartialArtsMart.com, also now carries the complete DVD, book and music series for CHQA.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Check out our new issue

In the 2009 November/December issue, hitting the stands now, The 8 Section Brocade By Annie Rose is the complete 8 Section Brocade (Baduanjin) of the CHQA as demonstrated by Dr. Yang Yubin.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Health Qigong exhibition event

We'll be holding a Health Qigong exhibition division for Tiger Claw's KungFuMagazine.com Championship III. The rules, based loosely on the IHQA model, are now posted.

This exhibition division is a benefit for the Tiger Claw Foundation.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

CHQA Qigong Workshops

The Tiger Claw Foundation is supporting CHQA Qigong Workshops on April 6, 2012 in Irvine CA and April 7, 2012 in El Monte, CA.

THE TIGER CLAW FOUNDATION IS GIVING AWAY TICKETS TO THESE WORKSHOPS. We will be giving away 8 tickets to each event. For your chance to win, email ninjastar@KungFuMagazine.com with the heading ‘Irvine’ or ‘El Monte’. Limited to one entry for each event per person. All entries must be received by 3:00 PM PST on Wednesday April 4th, 2012. Winners will be notified by email. General online sweepstakes rules apply. PLEASE DO NOT ENTER IF YOU CANNOT ATTEND.

In cooperation with Joyofwushu.com and KungFuMagazine.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sport qigong

I was just about to change the title of this thread from Chinese Health Qigong Association to International Health Qigong Association, and then I read in this article "International Health Qigong Federation (IHQF)". WTF? (what the federation?)
    Qigong becoming popular sport in modern life
    English.news.cn 2013-08-21 06:07:55

PARSIPPANY, New Jersey, Aug. 20 (Xinhua) -- When it rains, it pours. This sounds particularly true for Laurent Chabres. Sixteen years ago, the year before Laurent Chabres was diagnosed with cancer, his wife separated with him, and he lost job due to the bankruptcy of his company. All of a sudden, he was left in a condition of absolute desperation.

"Thanks to Qigong, it allows me to change," said Laurent, 53. " I started to change my habit by doing exercise, and calming my mind. After many years of practice, I feel very healthy now."

Laurent, who came from Mexico and now leads a Mexican foundation in health, told Xinhua at the 5th International Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange held here Tuesday, "Qigong reflected physically what internally I was feeling. You know when you were feeling peace inside, then you can overcome any sickness. "

"Therefore, the practice of Qigong just matched very close to my need as a sick person to be in peace," he said.

Laurent is one of the 257 athletes representing 26 countries to participate in the team contests of Health Qigong aiming to increase skills and enhance international friendship.

According to him, the foundation in Mexico has offered more than 350 sick people the practice of Qigong for overcoming cancer and has treated 2,500 patients so far.

"I want to be part of the effort to convince people that they should practice Qigong for finding health inside, not outside. Qigong is not injection or pill, Qigong is like a special sport beneficial to one's health from inside to outside," he added.

The week-long International Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange, sponsored by the International Health Qigong Federation (IHQF), is held for the first time in New York City and New Jersey in the United States. It becomes the largest event ever hosted by the IHQF.

The event provides multiple activities including forum, tournament, training and examination. The traditional Chinese culture is presented by rigorous scientific presentation, colorful demonstration and performance, and high standard technical training.

According to IHQF, the total number of Health Qigong trainees worldwide is about 1.7 million. It is expected that Health Qigong will be introduced to 60 countries and regions by 2018.

Cynthia Simmons, an American working for NASA as an engineer, also told Xinhua that a miracle happened to her after she practiced Qigong for one year. Medical exam showed her bone density was higher and blood pressure was better, while, according to her, practicing Qigong is the only thing she changed in her life.

"I did not do any other exercise, and did not change my diet. The first thing I do after I wake up is practicing Qigong and then I will go and eat. It's amazing that practicing Qigong can improve my health," she said.

Cynthia has been practicing Qigong for eight years. "Everybody in the U.S. is interested in heath, I believe Qigong can help you relieve stress and calm you down. Now I feel I have energy inside. "

Olga Luckyanenko, also an American representing another team in the tournament, is a lover of Chinese culture and Chinese philosophy. Dressed in the green Chinese Qigong robe, she and her teammates were invited to perform in the opening ceremony before the competition begins.

"Chinese culture is unique, you move your body and it gives you support. I like it more and more. It makes you strong because it makes you hold the position, let your legs get stronger. I can feel the hidden power of it," she said.

She was a horse riding teacher before, but as she grows older, she found the sport is too rough, while Qigong, offering a smoother way to do exercise, has become her favorite sport. " Qigong does things slowly, make you more comfortable and relaxed," she said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

When I would visit family in Canada (Toronto and Montreal Chinatown) the CHQA? would have local individuals who would teach for a minimal fee as part of the qigong health movement. I found it positive because of the exposure and 'de-mystification' process, which was the exact opposite when learning in USA.

Also, there was more learning tools and book in English, which were more readily available!

5th International Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange

Did anyone here go to this? Do we even have any members from Jersey?

Qigong becoming popular sport in modern life
    English.news.cn 2013-08-21 06:07:55

PARSIPPANY, New Jersey, Aug. 20 (Xinhua) -- When it rains, it pours. This sounds particularly true for Laurent Chabres. Sixteen years ago, the year before Laurent Chabres was diagnosed with cancer, his wife separated with him, and he lost job due to the bankruptcy of his company. All of a sudden, he was left in a condition of absolute desperation.

"Thanks to Qigong, it allows me to change," said Laurent, 53. " I started to change my habit by doing exercise, and calming my mind. After many years of practice, I feel very healthy now."

Laurent, who came from Mexico and now leads a Mexican foundation in health, told Xinhua at the 5th International Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange held here Tuesday, "Qigong reflected physically what internally I was feeling. You know when you were feeling peace inside, then you can overcome any sickness. "

"Therefore, the practice of Qigong just matched very close to my need as a sick person to be in peace," he said.

Laurent is one of the 257 athletes representing 26 countries to participate in the team contests of Health Qigong aiming to increase skills and enhance international friendship.

According to him, the foundation in Mexico has offered more than 350 sick people the practice of Qigong for overcoming cancer and has treated 2,500 patients so far.

"I want to be part of the effort to convince people that they should practice Qigong for finding health inside, not outside. Qigong is not injection or pill, Qigong is like a special sport beneficial to one's health from inside to outside," he added.

The week-long International Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange, sponsored by the International Health Qigong Federation (IHQF), is held for the first time in New York City and New Jersey in the United States. It becomes the largest event ever hosted by the IHQF.

The event provides multiple activities including forum, tournament, training and examination. The traditional Chinese culture is presented by rigorous scientific presentation, colorful demonstration and performance, and high standard technical training.

According to IHQF, the total number of Health Qigong trainees worldwide is about 1.7 million. It is expected that Health Qigong will be introduced to 60 countries and regions by 2018.

Cynthia Simmons, an American working for NASA as an engineer, also told Xinhua that a miracle happened to her after she practiced Qigong for one year. Medical exam showed her bone density was higher and blood pressure was better, while, according to her, practicing Qigong is the only thing she changed in her life.

"I did not do any other exercise, and did not change my diet. The first thing I do after I wake up is practicing Qigong and then I will go and eat. It's amazing that practicing Qigong can improve my health," she said.

Cynthia has been practicing Qigong for eight years. "Everybody in the U.S. is interested in heath, I believe Qigong can help you relieve stress and calm you down. Now I feel I have energy inside. "

Olga Luckyanenko, also an American representing another team in the tournament, is a lover of Chinese culture and Chinese philosophy. Dressed in the green Chinese Qigong robe, she and her teammates were invited to perform in the opening ceremony before the competition begins.

"Chinese culture is unique, you move your body and it gives you support. I like it more and more. It makes you strong because it makes you hold the position, let your legs get stronger. I can feel the hidden power of it," she said.

She was a horse riding teacher before, but as she grows older, she found the sport is too rough, while Qigong, offering a smoother way to do exercise, has become her favorite sport. " Qigong does things slowly, make you more comfortable and relaxed," she said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I have some students who are associated with the CHQA in China. I think the group has done a lot of good; they publish a lot of books and generally the standards of training is very high.

My main criticism of the training they espouse is that it seems to mirror what a lot of taiji schools do. Students are encouraged to move onto another, more advanced qigong routine as soon as they finish learning one. One of my students said she learned 10 different routines within a year. Granted, she was a full-time student, so she could perform them well, but the point of qigong is to receive the benefit of the practice over time.

Also, there was a time when they emphasized that the CHQA is the only entity in the world legally permitted to teach qigong. I assumed that they meant in China, but they were very adamant that there would be a time in the future where foreign teachers would be required to get a permit through them to teach.

I preferred it when it was a general way to learn the various routines. Many teachers sell it as a way to be 'certified' to teach to the general public.

CHQA has done a great job spreading Qigong....

But the certification and comps are a take it or leave it thing.

It stems from the fact that the chap who runs the whole show used to head up a wushu body - hence the introduction of the comps and forms standardisation etc.

3rd Cross-straits Health Qigong Competition

I'm still amused by the notion of Health Qigong as a competitive sport.

Hong Kong delegation scoops top awards in health qigong
    Updated: 2016-11-07 07:49

By Dara Wang in Hong Kong (HK Edition)

The third cross-straits Health Qigong Competition saw the Hong Kong delegation's clean sweep of top awards for group competitions among Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan and the Chinese mainland.
    In the competition co-organized by Chinese Health Qigong Association (CHQA) and Health Qigong Association Hong Kong and sponsored by the Hong Kong Jockey Club, the Hong Kong delegation bagged all top team awards in the categories of Yi Jin Jing, Wu Qin Xi, Liu Zi Jue and Ba Duan Jin, four major modern exercise methods of health qigong developed from tradition by CHQA.
    A total of 138 people from Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan, Fujian and Guangdong provinces joined this competition for 24 team awards and 48 individual awards.
    In group competitions, the Macao delegation won two runner-up awards and one third prize and the Taiwan delegation won one runner-up award and five third prizes.

It was the first time the competition was held outside the mainland, engaging referees from the mainland, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, said Zhang Zheng, vice secretary-general of CHQA.
    To encourage more people in Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan to participate in health qigong competitions, CHQA has since the competition last year been certificating awards for delegations from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan separately from teams of the mainland, Zhang said.
    This year's competition saw improvements in the Hong Kong delegation in flexibility and strength of postures as well as group coordination and cooperation in team performance, said Hu Xiaofei, chief referee of the competition, who is also the director of Health Preserving Teaching and Research Section of Beijing Sport University.
    Hu said he was glad to see young contestants from the Hong Kong delegation exercising health qigong at a high level.
    Lam Sin-yu, a 13-year-old from Hong Kong, was crowned with the first individual award in Wu Qin Xi and Ba Duan Jin. Lam was introduced to health qigong at the age of 3. She said regular practice of health qigong helps increase concentration span and release the stress from academic pressure.
    Coach of the Macao delegation Che Kuai-heng, in his seventies, said more and more people in Macao have recognized the benefit of exercising health qigong and participated in the exercise actively in recent years.
    "Some 20 years of practice of health qigong benefitted me in healthy muscles and tendons. My cardiovascular and respiratory systems function as well as young people's," Che said.
    People with obesity or high blood lipids are advised to do half-an-hour's exercise of health qigong four to five times a week. Practicing it for three months will have an obvious positive effect on health, Hu said.
    Hu also suggested employees do health qigong for 10 to 20 minutes in the morning. That will make them feel refreshed and energetic and also enhance their mental wellbeing, he added.
    Health qigong is an exercise that meets the fitness needs of people of all ages and could be promoted in physical education among schools and universities, said Xin Yi, deputy director general of Health Qigong Administrative Center of the General Administration of Sport of China. That would help improve students' physical quality through a better knowledge of preserving health, Xin noted.
    The competition next year is planned to be held in Guangdong province, Xin said.

dara@chinadailyhk.com
    (HK Edition 11/07/2016 page8)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

World Health Qigong Day - 2nd Sunday in August

2nd Sunday in August - try to remember this for next year. I'll even make an indie thread off the Chinese Health Qigong Association one.

Hundreds gather in New York to celebrate World Health Qigong Day
    By Shan Xin (People's Daily Online) 16:16, August 15, 2017

(Qigong enthusiasts gathered at Gantry Plaza State Park in New York to celebrate World Health Qigong Day)

On the second Sunday of August, 200 Qigong enthusiasts gathered at Gantry Plaza State Park in New York to celebrate the first-ever World Health Qigong Day, organized by the International Health Qigong Association.
    World Health Qigong Day will coordinate the practice of Health Qigong at 10 am local time in 43 countries and regions across the world. Globally, Health Qigong will be practiced non-stop for 24 hours from East to West, starting in Australia and ending in Canada.
    Chang Jianping, chairman of Chinese Health Qigong Association, said Health Qigong helps cure illnesses and keeps people fit, as well as strengthens the immune system, as it requires a psychological skill that brings body, breath, and mind into one.
    “Qigong is a traditional Chinese exercise and healing technique, originally part of traditional Chinese medicine and ancient martial arts,” he said. “Confucians practiced Qigong to cultivate his mind and body.”
    Chang introduced nine forms of Health Qigong, including Eight Pieces of Brocade, Six Healing Sounds, Muscle-Tendon Change Classic, and Five Animals. According to Chang, experts would be invited to give lessons on the basic movements of Health Qigong to benefit more people.
    He also clarified some misleading statements. “Qigong is a kind of exercise; and not a miracle cure or a way to immortalize. People should approach it calmly. If people practice the movements and understand the harmony, they can benefit from it,” he said. “Beware of cults that say one can refuse medical treatment after illness. They are not real Health Qigong.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

2018 Eastern U.S. Health Qigong Tutors Training Camp

Feature: Training camp draws American Qigong teachers, lovers
    Source: Xinhua | 2018-06-25 08:06:40 | Editor: huaxia

With the 2018 Eastern U.S. Health Qigong Tutors Training Camp launched this weekend in Long Island, New York, some 100 participants have traveled all the way from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and even California to attend. (Xinhua Photo/Zhou Xiaozheng)

By Xinhua writers Zhou Xiaozheng, Chang Yuan

NEW YORK, June 24 (Xinhua) -- Learning Wuqinxi which imitates the moves of bear, tiger, monkey, deer and birds to promote health, listening to lectures on "harmony of the universe" from the world's top-grade Qigong masters, and sharing experiences and lessons of your daily exercise and training ...

Doing all these things is a dream come true for American fans, practitioners and tutors of Qigong, a traditional Chinese exercise that aims at exploiting human body's inner energy to achieve both physical and mental harmony. More amazingly, they don't even have to go to China for this, as it is just happening right here in Long Island, New York.

With the 2018 Eastern U.S. Health Qigong Tutors Training Camp launched this weekend, some 100 participants have traveled all the way from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and even California to attend.

On this bright and sunny Sunday afternoon, they gathered on the lawn of the picturesque Oheka Castle Hotel & Estate in eastern Long Island to learn some new movements from Qigong Master Wang Xiaojun, who is also a professor and postgraduate tutor with the Beijing Sport University.

"It's tremendous to learn the six new movements today from Master Wang, which are bringing your body to stretch in different directions that you haven't done before," said Marc Santiago, a retired school teacher from New York City, during a short break.

Santiago, who has been learning and practicing Taichi (the Chinese shadowboxing) and Qigong at a Long Island facility for about four years, told Xinhua that he was "very happy" as such training helped improve his health, balance and strength, which means "my kids don' t have to worry about taking care of me when I get old."

He was echoed by Olivia Rosenkrantz, a tap dancer living in Manhattan who has been studying Qigong and Taichi for about three years. "It's helping me a lot with my body, with tension, and also with my mind," she noted.

"Today we studied here something that I will definitely keep practicing," said the dancer, adding that she would also share the new skills with her boyfriend, who is also practicing every day with her.

For Sherley Chock, a practitioner and tutor from the Connecticut-based Aiping Taichi Center, the training camp is a boon not only for herself, but also for her 70-plus American students. In her career, Chock only got the chance to visit China once in 2006 on a brief exchange and training program.

"I' m so fortunate to be here to learn from the masters the new skills of Health Qigong," said the young American-born Chinese who first studied in the Taichi Center and later became its owner. "I'm very excited to bring it back to school because more and more students, after learning about the health benefits of Taichi and Qigong, want to try it."

Co-hosted by the TaiChi Qigong Association of America and the Chinese Health Qigong Association, the three-day Training Camp is now an annual event and already the third in a row. This year the Chinese Health Qigong Association sent in a delegation of four, including three Qigong masters.

"Health Qigong is easy to learn and fun to practice, so it gets popular in many parts of the world," said Professor Wang of the Beijing Sport University. "This is my fourth trip to New York in recent years, and every time I was impressed by the great improvements of the American practitioners and tutors, not only in their skills but also in their understanding of the Chinese culture and philosophy."

Similar to Yoga of India, Qigong has a long history that extends back several thousand years. And it is believed to have embodied the ancient Chinese wisdom of "harmony between nature and man" as well as "unison of body and mind."

According to Wang Jianjun, head of the delegation of the Chinese Health Qigong Association, there are approximately 6.5 million Qigong practitioners in the world today, including some 2.5 million outside of the Chinese mainland.

There are currently some 50,000 Qigong and Taichi lovers and practitioners in more than 20 states across America, estimated Lynn Xu, a veteran tutor with the Sitan Taichi & Martial Arts center of New York.

The exercise is still gaining popularity among people of all ages and all ethnic groups, as indicated by the rapid growth of the number of students enrolled with the Sitan center - from a mere 6 in 2007 to over 200 today.

"It's so beneficial for your mind and your physical health, that it's definitely something you want to share with your friends and others," said Rosenkrantz, the dancer.

Santiago, the retired teacher, added: "You can't tell people that it's wonderful, you have to show them that it's wonderful by who you are."

"People become interested when they see me and say, 'hey, look at this guy, he is stronger, he looks younger.' Their experience of me helps them get involved more," he elaborated.
    Did anyone here attend this?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips