Thread: i need tips on flip ups

Angry i need tips on flip ups

hmm i can do flip up on a mat but not on carpet =(

it's called a kip up, bro.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

oops lol hmmm

cjurakpt Guest
    might be your shoulders are slipping backwards on the carpet when you do it, as the carpet might have a lower coefficient of friction than the mat: it's been years, but I recall that the "trick" seemed to be that you want to actually think about pushing up to the ceiling instead of out forwards, so if you really emphasize that concept on the carpet, it may help?

also, maybe have someone watch you do it on the mat and then the rug and see if they can spot the difference

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Bah !!

What you want to be able to do is the dead man rise.
    Totally flat on the floor, you rise to vertical without bending a joint !

Now that, boys and girls, is chi baby !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by PKN View Post
    hmm i can do flip up on a mat but not on carpet =(
    Kudos! Man I NEVER mastered the flip up. No matter how hard I tried I could never get it. Not in Kung Fu...not in Takgeyon. I think it had to dowith my hips being too rigid.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!There Is only 1 STUDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by STUDD WILSON View Post
    Kudos! Man I NEVER mastered the flip up. No matter how hard I tried I could never get it. Not in Kung Fu...not in Takgeyon. I think it had to dowith my hips being too rigid.
    Isn't Takgeyon the Korean word for Tai Chi? WTF are you doing kip ups in Tai Chi?

Ill assume you are using your hands?

There are a few different ways of doing a kipup.

When I have taught people in the past to do them, I begin by putting them on a slight incline to make the process easier. Outside on nice small grassy hill is good. Once you can do them every single time with, say a 45 degree angled hill, then you will be very familiar with the mechanics and will be comfortable.

Some people use legs more, some people use stomach more.

For me personally its a combination of momentum driven by the legs and then a fast compression of my stomach muscles. Like doing a sit up, right when you reach the point of pulling your legs past the mid way point and then pulling your trunk up with your stomach muslces, while pushing with your hands/neck. Depending on if they are handless or not. edit: I use a slightly bent leg pendalum style. then pull them under into a horse stance as my upper body leaves the floor.

Its hard to describe without showing. Try getting it down 100% of the time on an incline if you are having problems on flat ground.

also are you being taught to shoot your legs straight out, or to use them similar to a pendalum? This can make a difference as to what the rest of your body might need to be doing.

Some people just simply give themselves a little bit of spring then pull a nice little horse stance under their body, so as to not need much spring.
    Last edited by Lucas; 02-08-2008 at 11:47 AM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Hope this helps.

Swing both legs back as if you are going to touch your toes behind your head. Place your hands on the floor like you are going to do a bridge. Then powerfully shoot your legs back out. Around the point where your legs reach about a 45 degree angle shoot them out and push with your hands bringing your legs back underneath you. It may take you several tries before you get it. One mistake people make when first trying to do it is shooting your legs too early like when they are in the 90 degree postion. Once you have mastered this with a little more practice you should be able to do a no hand kip up.

I learned how to do kip ups on a hill. Lie on a hill with your feet pointing towards the bottom. It will be easier to kip up because there is plenty of room for your legs to get underneath you. As you get better at it, move down the hill until you're on flat ground.

It's easy.

One last tip, many people try to do kip ups by trying to flip their feet under their body as quickly as possible forgetting that you first have to get enough height. Try to flip your legs up and then out, creating enough room to get your legs under your body, then quickly move them under you.

When I kip up, I kip to a full standing position because I've created some much room under my body that I can pretty much just stand up.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

i learned to do NO HANDS before hands...
    i rely on my head...
    pretend u just had a whipspalsh....use ur head in that motion as u kick out....