Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are foreigners accepted in Taoist and Buddhist monasteries?

Internal Flow Guest

Are foreigners accepted in Taoist and Buddhist monasteries?

Are foreigners accepted as monks in Taoist and Buddhist monasteries in China and Tibet? I was always curius about that. Can anybody tell me?

All things return to it as to their home, but it does not lord it over them.
    Thus it may be called "The Great"

prana Guest

Definitely

Without a doubt...

just a few simple rules to follow, we all do it.

Surrender fully and entirely to the sangha's when you do :)

What is occupying that corpse you call 'I' ?

Internal Flow Guest
    Thanks, i always thought that only chinese or tibetans could be monks in these monasteries.

Internal Flow Guest
    Oh, sorry for being repetitive but i just want to be sure.
    They are accepted as visitors, or they can live there and be monks in the monasterie?

monkey mind Guest
    I know of Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in India and Nepal that accept westerners as residents, eventually ordaining them if it works out, but I'd be surprised if the Chinese authorities would allow westerners to reside in Tibetan monasteries in Tibet. Shoot, even the Tibetans are barely able to maintain a monastic tradition in their own country.

Eight Diagram Boxer Guest

not in taoist monastaries

Westerners are not accepted into Taoist monastaries in China, I'm not sure about other places, but it is not like buddhist monastaries. You have to be Chinese to live at wudang for example. This is what I've been told anyway from Taoists.

Knowing others is wisdom, Knowing the self is enlightenment- Lao Tzu

shaolinboxer Guest

Monastaries

It is my impression that, in a true buddhist monastary, there are no "foreigners".

origenx Guest
    Well, let's not forget that Buddhism was spread to China by a foreigner - Indians!

But Taoism was indigenous and home-grown...

joedoe Guest
    You can become a Taoist monk/priest without having to be Chinese though you probably can't do it in China.

Talk to Fiercest Tiger about it - I think he has done it.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Eight Diagram Boxer Guest

I agree

There are Westerners who have been initiated to become Taoists, but ABandit is right, they are outside China.

Knowing others is wisdom, Knowing the self is enlightenment- Lao Tzu

shaolinboxer Guest

My point

was that there can be no foreigners in a buddhist monastary because, when enveloped in the buddhist philosophy of the unity of man, there is nothing foreign

joedoe Guest

Lyle

That is true in a perfect world :).

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Internal Flow Guest
    Thanks you for your replies :)
    I think it is really awful rejecting people because of their nationality and as Lyle said it has nothing to do with Buddhism neither Taoism.
    I was just curius (i was almost sure that they would not accept foreigners in China but wasnt sure about Tibet)

I take refuge in the Buddha
    I take refuge in the dharma
    I take refuge in the sangha

fiercest tiger Guest

very good topic

i was ordained here in sydney 1992 in my taoist temple, i know i could have done it in hongkong also. if i can do it here and there i couldnt see a problem in china because i belong to the same sect!!

different sects may have different ways and rules when ordaining a person (forign) or local, we are all human beings and we are all brothers and sisters on this earth and this life time! ;)

come & visit us!
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
    yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Internal Flow Guest
    Are there Taoist temples in Sydney?

They all rely on Prana as the rays rely on the center of the wheel: The Rks, the Yajus, the Samans, the Ksatriyas and the Brahmanas,