Thread: bjj question

bjj question

ok this is probably a strange question but for any of you that do BJJ i am just curious for your thoughts. every time i go to class i end up with a hurt foot the next day. you know the knobby part of the bone right where your big toe and foot meet? it is excrutiatingly painful for a couple of days after every class. its not always on the same foot but it is almost always there. i am wondering if any of you have experienced this. do you think i am doing something wrong? or could it be that the muscles in my foot are not strong enough? i don't know what kind of foot exercises i can do if thats the case but anyway, if anyone has any advice please let me know. aight peace.

~steve

When on the mat keep off your toes or you risk injury and / or breakage! May not be used to the abuse yet. I assume you do not mean mat burn right? That just takes time to get over.
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

no not mat burn i have dealt with that for most of my life. its like the bone hurts. then i tape it up for a few days and it gets better.

Might have a slight dislocation. Not sure without being next to you checking it out.
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    ok this is probably a strange question but for any of you that do BJJ i am just curious for your thoughts. every time i go to class i end up with a hurt foot the next day. you know the knobby part of the bone right where your big toe and foot meet? it is excrutiatingly painful for a couple of days after every class. its not always on the same foot but it is almost always there. i am wondering if any of you have experienced this. do you think i am doing something wrong? or could it be that the muscles in my foot are not strong enough? i don't know what kind of foot exercises i can do if thats the case but anyway, if anyone has any advice please let me know. aight peace.

~steve
    I have tons of issues too, its part of the game. You may be putting your foot in a odd position at times. I used to try and curl my toes to get leverage... but its a bad idea.

It could be Turf Toe...

or it's medical name: metatarsalphalangeal joint sprain

Basically it's caused from hyperextending the joint in your big toe. Unfortunately the only cure is rest- and to keep off of it. But, as we all know- you need to be in a "live toe" position for groundwork which isn't a good position to rest up turf toe. You can try taping your toe so that it doesn't flex upward too much at the joint or you can see if your coach will allow you to wear a stiffer-soled wrestling shoe. This is a somewhat serious issue because if left untreated, turf toe can cause chronic foot problems for the rest of your life.

One option is to change your game- I suggest watching and practicing Roy Harris's BJJ for Over 40 http://www.royharris.com/. This is good even if you're younger than 40 because it re-introduces people to the more patient approach that BJJ had in the early days of the UFC rather than the hyper-kinetic approach that leads to injuries that's evolved because of modern MMA rules.

Good suggestion Mighty B!
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

i hadnt thought about it being a result of being on my toes when in side control. i can't have turf toe. i won't allow it

i have this triathlon in april and if, after all this training for it i have to stop now bc of my toe... than.... well it isn't going to happen. i don't care if i have to cross the finish line walking on my hands. i am finishing this race. so yeah while it shares many characteristics of turf toe it isn't turf toe.

i am just going to tape up my foot and toe and stop being a little b!tch about it. i noticed my bjj schools solution to every injury is athletic tape.

thanks for all the replies.

Would wrestling shoes help? I usually put mine on when I cut my foot, stub a toe, etc.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

they don't allow wrestling shoes. the only time i ever saw them allow them was bc a dude had really bad athletes foot.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    quit yer *****in and suk it up girly man...come back and complain when you get a toe pointin 90 degrees offline from the metatarsal it was attached too....

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

lol thanks oso. you made me laugh enough that my toe doesnt hurt anymore. actually, you know how you can crack your knuckles or toes? i cracked the middle of my foot and now my toe feels a lot better. i am still gonna keep it taped since i have a 5 mile run tomorrow followed by a 2000 meter swim and i need as much recuperation time as possible between now and then but it still feels a lot better. i am a little worried though bc i payed a $100 to go to this 4 hour running clinic this weekend. i cant be hurt for that. they will be analyzing my technique and if i run all gimpy than its a waste of money. so i will take your advice and suck it up.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    well, the only thiing a doc will say to a minor toe injury, up to a broken one that's not out of place, is 'stop what you are doing, immobilize and rest'

idiots like us rarely do that for the little **** and so we end up w/ tons of aches and pains that don't go a way in not too many years down the road.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I got busted up lots when I did BJJ. It's a tough sport for getting you in to really good shape . But in all I would prefer swimming today as I am older and my body doesn't heal as easily.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!There Is only 1 STUDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!