Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why the Right Lead?

Quote Originally Posted by the Preacher View Post
    ???????????????????????????

Dundee, Stewart, Rooney, etc, etc
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Imo

Ok, I haven't seen this posted so here is my two cents.

Leading with your dominant hand puts your dominant side up front and makes it vulnerable. If you have equal ability with both sides then that's not really a big deal HOWEVER if you are like most people your left is much more uncoordinated.

By relying solely on your right hand to block what's coming in and attack, using the left only every now and then, you never train or improve your left hand. So what happens if you take a hard knock to your front leg or shin???? You're automatically going to switch stance to protect your injured leg. Now what do you got in front??? The left side that you dont' train

Protect your dominant side and use it for power.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Boxing has evolved "just a bit" since 1795......
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Dundee, Stewart, Rooney, etc, etc

those trainers are from the "Old School"

so where's the evolution

Southpaws are harder to fight as well if you haven't trained to fight against them.Bruce Lee was a natural right hander so it made a lot of sense for him to stand rightside forward. He wanted to shut his opponent down quickly and soon as possible.I couldn't get a lot of fights because of my southpawness.What coach is going to put his boy in the ring that going to mess up his whole plan.It may not be so true now some 20 years later.So my plan was to fight left side then switch the last round to southpaw.(worked like a charm)

those trainers are from the "Old School"

so where's the evolution
    And all of them preached against "switch hitters".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Boxing has evolved "just a bit" since 1795......
    Of course.

But just so I get this right, your saying your methods are better than the man who introduced modern movement into Western Boxing and basically invented the straight left.

Interesting...

From a kungfu/self defense stand point (im not a pro sport fighter, dont plan to be) I have always been of the mindset to train both sides for each technique, and to spar from both sides. As well as changing stance when opportunities present themselves.

The couple of forms that I do practice, I do on both sides. My first kungfu teacher once told me "I teach you rigth side, you teach yourself left side"

My understanding, and from past experience, is that from a self defense stand point, you dont always have a ref to let you "square off" with your opponent. Sometimes you just get jumped and better not have a wet noodle for a left arm.

That doesnt mean to say that fighting from a constant form is not prefered in many/most situations.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    Of course.

But just so I get this right, your saying your methods are better than the man who introduced modern movement into Western Boxing and basically invented the straight left.

Interesting...
    my methods? Hardly "my method", more the method every single boxing coach in the world currently uses (and has for over 100 years), not to mention 95% of the Muay Thai coaches
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

it seems similar to sword (axe, hammer what have you) and shield or sword and offhand (for defense / parry / counter etc.)
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Here's another reason why you don't train both sides......

If you train all your techniques on both sides, you are cutting your practice time in half. IE, if I just train orthodox I always train left jab. If I switch back and forth, half the time I am working a left jab, half the time a right jab. That may not seem like such a big deal, but what about other techniques like throws? You set up your entries, your "off balances" and your throws all based upon your stance.
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

my methods? Hardly "my method", more the method every single boxing coach in the world currently uses (and has for over 100 years), not to mention 95% of the Muay Thai coaches
    Got it.

Just checking to see if you were trying to start your own mythos.

If you train all your techniques on both sides, you are cutting your practice time in half. IE, if I just train orthodox I always train left jab. If I switch back and forth, half the time I am working a left jab, half the time a right jab. That may not seem like such a big deal, but what about other techniques like throws? You set up your entries, your "off balances" and your throws all based upon your stance.
    on the street you are not going to throw someone larger, stronger, faster than you... self defense and ring fighting is two faces one coin, Ambidexterity is key....if you got a big fight coming up in a month yeah you shouldn't cut your training time in half...but on the street if your strong side is injured, like say you have a broken left hand you better be good with the other side.

??? Bagua never practices on only one side at least w/barehand forms. Training on one side is kindof lame. What if you get your weapon taken out, then what do you do? When I did karate we used to just train techs on one side for tourneys, then when you get your arm or leg taken out or something what do you do then? You can't spar and you have to forfeit.
    Last edited by andyhaas; 01-31-2008 at 04:59 PM.

traditional Chinese martial arts
    trains both sides

if you only train one side
    you will only be half as able

but then again this could be "lama pie training"
    kind of like some peoples "iron palm" training
    train only one hand
    but forget the rest of the body

to train only one side
    or only one part
    is a "beginners style".

traditional Chinese martial arts
    trains both sides

if you only train one side
    you will only be half as able

but then again this could be "lama pie training"
    kind of like some peoples "iron palm" training
    train only one hand
    but forget the rest of the body

to train only one side
    or only one part
    is a "beginners style".

You obviously don't have experience with TCMA. TCMA is 'right side' dominant, period.

Some styles have even developed 'left-handed' forms, i.e., Hung Fut, to help compensate for the natural imbalance.

Doesn't mean we don't use both hands, but the majority of tech goes to the right hand. You are a liar and a tool. Why do you bother, Kemo Martin??

Are you still preaching your anti-semitism? Still typing racial slurs...like you did about Jews before??

People like you deserve to get banned. How you are getting away with another account when you actually admitted your were kemo...is beyond me.

I hope you get everything in life that you deserve.