Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shuai Jiao vs Judo Rules Question

Shuai Jiao vs Judo Rules Question

Does anybody know the competition differences between Judo and Shuai Jiao? I'm a competitive Judoka and I'm looking at trying a Shuai Jiao competition. What are the do's and don'ts of Judo vs Shuai Jiao. Time limits, scoring, legal and illegal techniques, etc. Also- where would a person get a Shuai Jiao uniform?

the event promoter should have rules available.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    MB, you going to go to the GLT?

we'll be there.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Most common variances:

No ne-waza

No sacrifice throws

No chokes

CSC rules are a little different:

Punches & kicks allowed

Ground work allowed, but if more than 30 seconds new fighters rush the stage and beat on both opponents.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    MB, you going to go to the GLT?

we'll be there.
    Probably... depends on my finances at the time.

My Sifu usually goes, so I was thinking about tagging along this year.

Me and a couple of my Judo boys were thinking about trying SC there. We'll still be primed cuz that takes place just about when the Midwestern competitive Judo circuit ends. So we all will still be in good fighting shape.

Shuai Chiao has a much deeper technical base and many throws that are illegal in Judo.

Judo often gets you more people to randori with so your shuai fa can really develop. Not as many people in Shuai Chiao so bonus to Judo. Judo (in my opinion) has faster footwork, but Shuai Chiao has better handwork/gripping/ controlling knowledge.

I have teacher rank in both, these are just my observations. (It has been 20+ years since I did Judo.)
    www.kungnation.com

Why do you say SC has a much deeper technical base?
    Thanks
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

"Why do you say SC has a much deeper technical base? "

Because kung fu is always better, and is more sophistcated, technical and deadly than any other art.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    Shuai Chiao has a much deeper technical base and many throws that are illegal in Judo.

Judo often gets you more people to randori with so your shuai fa can really develop. Not as many people in Shuai Chiao so bonus to Judo. Judo (in my opinion) has faster footwork, but Shuai Chiao has better handwork/gripping/ controlling knowledge.

I have teacher rank in both, these are just my observations. (It has been 20+ years since I did Judo.)
    In Judo competition you can't hold the belt for longer than a specified amount of time and you can't grab the upper back past the mid-line of the person (at least where I've trained and competed), and aside from this, I see and use practically every conceivable way of grabbing the person and fighting for grip. In fact, every person does this differently and can defend and tie you up in bizarre ways.
    That said, how does Shuai Chiao differ that dramatically?
    Is it in the setups? Are they more pronounced and focused on?
    A unique snowflake

In fact, every person does this differently and can defend and tie you up in bizarre ways.
    That was my experience in Judo too. But in the Shuai Chiao there was systemized training and strategies for grip and control combined with different footwork strategies. This why I say it has a deeper base. It is true of almost every aspect of the Shuai Chiao.

My training partner when I was learning Shuai Chiao was also the guy I got my Shodan in Judo under. He was a well-known Judo champ here in Chicago. The combination training and the more flexible throwing syllabus improved his already considerable skill base. Wally Barbar, an old time Judo guy in Chicago was frankly horrified.

That said, a really good Judo guy is just as dangerous as a really good Shuai Chiao guy in my opinion - when it comes to free wrestling. I think Shuai chiao translates better to free-fighting, but that is another thread. Judo is actually easier to learn throwing in the beginning because of the emphasis on the stages of the throw - the kake/kuzushi theory that in my opinion makes Judo footwork very swift.

Trained well, I believe Shuai Chiao will give you an edge. It's biggest deficiency is the limited number of people to compete against. Which inhibits the development of Shuai Fa - in my opinion.

It worked for me. But if you only have Judo - that's a good combat sport. If your choice is a mediocre Shuai Chiao teacher and a mediocre Judo teacher, I'd do the Judo because you'll more easily learn and meet good players. But of you have a good Shuai Chiao coach - THAT is ****ing gold.
    www.kungnation.com

Shuai Chiao rules

MightyB -

I will attempt to explain some of the rules of SC. I am not fully versed on the Judo rules though.

1 point throw =

Trip or make someone fall flat on their back (without them spinning or twirling in the air).

3 points touching the ground by anyone. 2 feet + 1 hand touching or 1 foot + 2 hands.

2 point throw =

The legs and or body has to has to spin in the air.

Example - The common hip throw (stepping in, grab around their waist and lift them over your hip, their legs flip and spin in the air).

3 point throw =

The person is lifted and or thrown above your head with the legs spinning and or rotating.

In SC there is no sacrifice throwing.

The SC Jacket differs a bit from Judo Jacket. It is smaller and tighter to the body.

Fighter are only allowed to grip the same hold for 3 seconds, then the ref should ask them to switch grips.

Every group or organization has different time contraints. Ours is 2 - 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rest between. 10 point spread is auto winner.

I have fought in other tourneys where 1st throw wins or fighting on top of a lei tai. That was fun throwing peeps of the top. Scroring should be similar in all other orgs.

Ginosifu

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    In Judo competition you can't hold the belt for longer than a specified amount of time
    In SC you can only have a grip for a 5 sec. or something before you have to move or regrip differently. It's different in the lvl you are going in.

SC Jackets

MightyB
    You can get SC Jackets thru me:

ginosifu@shaolininstitute.com

or Daniel Weng:

http://www.shuai-chiao.org/catalog/

Ginosifu

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I wish the jackets weren't so expensive.

They are nice, good quality, heavy duty fabric and I understand that they are not mass produced so that affects the cost. But, it is a deterent to competing in the competition I think.

Not really a criticism, just saying. My folks that are coming are thinking about buying 1 jacket and sharing
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Cheaper than BJJ gi's! Get what you pay for!
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com