Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it just me?

link...

Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Interesting responses thank you. I realize a lot of persons such as those in the videos are maybe only novice or intermediate level and such, and really no criticism to them honestly. It just seems to me that the traditional CMA standards overall do seem to have sliden and there's less of the good stuff out there then the lower level stuff that seems to be more in the majority.

Hey InS, don't get me wrong I don't think every club is bad in Vancouver's Chinatown & such, it just seems there's not as many standout high level Kung Fu people as there once was. I remember many years ago when the Yau Kung Mun people first showed up on the Vancouver scene, some of their guys were really good, it made people stand up & notice. The same for the Loong Ying people back in the 70s, they were fast & powerful and when they performed they looked as if they meant business! Then a little bit later you had Al Cheng & his Mantis & Kickboxing people, he had a whole stable of seriously trained fighters. Fred Kwok's very early Wing Chun group was tough! It just seemed more of the clubs back in the day were really out to produce good decent Kung Fu people (fighters, performers, lion dancers or whatever the case) and many could actually fight because from time to time you might see it or at least hear about it. Now while some clubs are still decent, it seems there's a preponderence of clubs sending out kids that look as if they are just not into Kung Fu and being forced to perform because that's the best the club has to show?!?!?

Nowadays except in a few cases here in Vancouver anyways the clubs that are producing somewhat more decent results are the Wushu clubs (or the Kung Fu clubs turning into Wushu clubs) or the non Chinese MMA type clubs. I don't know but it just seems a little depressing....
    Last edited by firepalm; 02-03-2008 at 04:27 AM.
    Etiquette requires us to admire the human race.
    --Mark Twain

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.
    --Mark Twain

Questioning my knowledge has made you look even more ignorant
    --Shaolinsky

Quote Originally Posted by firepalm View Post
    Hey InS, don't get me wrong I don't think every club is bad in Vancouver's Chinatown & such, it just seems there's not as many standout high level Kung Fu people as there once was. I remember many years ago when the Yau Kung Mun people first showed up on the Vancouver scene, some of their guys were really good, it made people stand up & notice. The same for the Loong Ying people back in the 70s, they were fast & powerful and when they performed they looked as if they meant business! Then a little bit later you had Al Cheng & his Mantis & Kickboxing people, he had a whole stable of seriously trained fighters. Fred Kwok's very early Wing Chun group was tough! It just seemed more of the clubs back in the day were really out to produce good decent Kung Fu people (fighters, performers, lion dancers or whatever the case) and many could actually fight because from time to time you might see it or at least hear about it. Now while some clubs are still decent, it seems there's a preponderence of clubs sending out kids that look as if they are just not into Kung Fu and being forced to perform because that's the best the club has to show?!?!?

Nowadays except in a few cases here in Vancouver anyways the clubs that are producing somewhat more decent results are the Wushu clubs (or the Kung Fu clubs turning into Wushu clubs) or the non Chinese MMA type clubs. I don't know but it just seems a little depressing....

We'll I really wish I was into kung fu way back then (or alive for that matter), but here we are.

I think back then the sifu's were closer to sources of tough training and real life fighting.

People tend to get softer as life get easier.

Nowadays it's more about exercise and keeping fit and paying the bills...we can't do the hold horses for month before training starts anymore cause it's not practical. This is evident everywhere from HK to Canada.

Wushu is a different kind of beast. People view as a sport and they strive to be really athletic. You can't get away with half-ass wushu. Well you can be then you are not serious.

Ultimately you can't do wushu without strong basics...which the traditional is lacking nowadays.

Personally I decided I'm going to work on my horse this year...I know I say it every year but...I like to think I am finally starting to get it.