Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8-Step at Houston Event in April

I'm going to tell all of you rookies out there, you don't want to be ****ing with north shore Tanglang on the SOUTHSIDE!!

Seriously though, thanks Jason. You have been a good friend and great brother in these arts that we share, too bad more do not have your attitude. My house is your house always!
    There is no need for anyone to get all bound up about anything. Those who have experienced know what Mike is about (as well as any teacher I bring in), and those who have come with an agenda and cluttered ego can talk all they want. Frankly I am not sure I want tons of people at Martello seminars, Hu seminars, Cartmell seminars etc. just because that means we get all the more attention and instruction
    Mike will be back this August teaching us another stance. I figure in 8-10years I might learn to throw a punch, but **** my stances will be tight
    Middle of August, here in Seattle. Not sure of details right yet as we are still ironing them out. But it will be more of the same boring, unwanted, un-needed body mechanic drills to be put into our form, fighting, and conditioning training. Gee golly, I can't believe you guys would actually show up and waste such money and time!

Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Talking

All I can say is LOL.......Who woulda thunk that you could find CMA in the swamps of Louisiana right?! HA!
    Thanks for the kind words bro......ur right our stances are hella bad fool!

Check your email bro. I just sent you some info.
    Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

With respect My sincere apologies to all especially Mike.

I am afriad I repeated a simple comment but caused grief out here. Those of you that know me know I meant no disrespect and support the mantis community for the better part of 20 years.

I have never met Mike martello and have heard only good things about him.

I was just repeating what I had heard as an observation by another person, nothing more. But I will be the first to say I'm sorry if i offended anyone by my post.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

No apologies needed bro. Nothing you said was disrespectful. You never mentioned a single name, yet everyone that was there knows exactly who you are speaking of. He was too busy showing off what he does in his school, and asking me to correct certain postures of his form, to learn anything Mike was teaching, so it does not suprise me that he only took away a "stance" from a whole weekend of lessons!
    Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Jake.
    How can you be so ignorant and assume that all I took away from the whole seminar was a stance. And Also what's up with you complaining about spending 10 minutes out of the whole weekend teaching me a few postures of the Xing-yi. I appreciated the time you spent with me being that I was a beginner and you were more advanced. Now I'm Sorry I asked for your help. For your information I enjoyed the seminar, considering the fact that what was advertised regarding the 8 step section was not covered. As far as Mike Martello goes, he's a skillful teacher and a gentlemen because he treated me and everyone else with the utmost respect. What I told EarthDragon was taken out of context and I don't understand why he would say such things. What I said was that I was disappointed that there was not more 8step forms and applications covered. This is not a reflection on Mr.Martello, he did a great job teaching what he taught. As far as the infamous stance that EarthDragon was regarding; it was a private conversation that Mr.Martello and I had in the locker room about the 8step and it's current state of affairs. I told him that my teacher taught me his version of the 8step system which was different to the original Master Wei system and he was kind enough to show me the variation of the first movement of the 7 hands form. What I told EarthDragon was that I was disappointed that he didn't go in any further with the 7 hand form. He said that he doesn't teach the forms anymore just the fighting concepts. Due to personal reasons regarding his experience within the 8step community. Mr.Martello I apologize profusively for the inaccurate statements EarthDragon made regarding the seminar.

I've been studying, training teaching Mantis for over 30 years. If I am known to be critical or bad mouth other martial artists, I would already have that reputation. Why would I start now? What would I gain from it? Jake I'm very disappointed at how you've responded to this matter and took the opportunity to insult me. I would've expected more of you. Considering everyone I talk to in regards to you and your seminars; which I spoke of you highly. I guess I was mislead, shame on me!
    Last edited by dragonball; 03-23-2008 at 12:53 AM.

No worries

Don't worry too much Dragonball. Jake is a big baby on this forum - 30 going on 3.

Well Dean to address your points....
    I insulted no one, never mentioned a name. I responded to what one of your friend posted on a public forum. You need to do damage control if people are going to come on and make comments about your comments, out of context or otherwise. Perhaps ED should not have posted anything at all and we would not be here would we? I simply responded to a comment someone made ON A PUBLIC FORUM.
    I do apologize for myself and Mike both if you did not get what you wanted out of the seminar in terms of expectations. That is the reason Mike asked at the begginning what people wanted to work on etc. etc. But perhaps you were not there to put in your two cents worth. I believe you were running late. So if the seminar was not what you wanted/expected, we will try to meet your needs next time in a better, more accurate manner. Next time please be on time so we can accuratley get an idea of what everyone wants to train.
    As for questions about Xing Yi right in the middle of a seperate seminar..... it was only 10 minutes because I purposefully tried to cut it short. I found it very rude to ask about some other style, you learned from some other person, right in the middle of a seminar where you were supposed to be working on what Mike was teaching. It would have been different if you pulled me aside at a break, or after the seminar. But you did it when you were supposed to be working on something Mike was teaching us. That is rude to him. Rude to the other students. And rude to me.
    You can think of me what you wish. But I think if you sit back and take a long, hard, honest look at the situation you would react the same! I never mentioned a name in my comments, and I stand by my comments in the context of the conversation. Seems to me that ED is the one that started the fire, perhaps you should talk to him. If me standing by my teachers, students, and colleagues is disappointing to you....so be it. This is one of the major reason myself (and SO many others) are turned off by the CMA community. Too much silly bull****. All this started because some guy who was not even at the event, took something out of context you said about the event, and smeared it all over the world wide web! He painted (purposeful or not) a bad picture of Mike, me, and my seminars. What would you do bro?

Qixing (Kai, or which ever student of his you are).... bugger off. Coming from you all it means nothing!

Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

ma-ma-ma-MARTELLO MANIA! *Monster truck voice*

Hellewwwww *George Takai voice*

Sorry guys, I'm a bit caffinated. Anyway, I wanted to throw in my .02 cents on the Seattle experience:

What was advertised (8 step 12 soft principles) was not covered.

We worked on thumb locks for some time.

If you stopped reading there, then that's all that any individual would have walked away with at the seminar.

Mike is an organic teacher, and modified the lessons based on what skills each student was able to detect.

We started with template drills, then Mike followed the tradition of individualizing each students skill and ability to fulfill as much potential as each student had.

The structure of the class changed to accomadate for the diversity of skill and understanding, which to me is much more effective than a boiler plate seminar.

If we covered what was advertised, I would not have been exposed to the depth of root and ting jin that Mike the Wang family specialize in.

As an individual, Jake, Mike, and the whole crew are cool peoples. Free of titles, pretense and all "instantaneous bruising" (had to be there).

I suppose I would be dissapointed if I was craving a big mac but got an In and Out double double animal style. Still a burger, still taste great, but not quite what I was craving.

That being said, I understand if people were dissapointed.

I was taught to understand before seeking to be understood...now if I can only understand what the hell I'm talking about....

Mike D.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dasargo View Post

I was taught to understand before seeking to be understood...now if I can only understand what the hell I'm talking about....
    ha ha, deep brother. deep.

Hence why I apologized.
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Like I said....big baby.

Cheers,
    Nate

Nate dog,
    Talk a tough talk halfway across the world junior. Another keyboard master eh? What a waste.
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Dont take it personal Jake. You've been called on it before. It just is what it is.

Cheers,
    Nate

Two weeks left and the demo is on . I am looking forward to this first event in Houston. I have seen some advertising but I am not sure of the purpose of the demo.It is advertised as a demo for CMA Schools in Houston and the surrounding areas. Praying mantis is not the focal point it host Victor Cheng has been around in Houston for a while.His old store on shepard has been missed. Good luck to all particapating in the demo and welcome to all that are visiting.