Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Ramen

Top Ramen

All right, I know this is kind of a weird and random question, but for the health junkies on this board, are there any known risks to consuming significant amounts of this product? The reason is simply that I'm a broke son of a b!tch and can't afford the good stuff (i.e. wheat noodles). I know they have some preservatives, but whenever I cook them I get rid of the flavor packet since that's where the majority of the sodium is, add an assortment of steamed veggies/chicken/etc, and it's actually become somewhat of an art form for me. Of all the possible culinary vices I'd say that's my only one.

So, what's the deal? Am I gonna die if I eat 'em every day? Or am I overanalyzing this just a hair?
    GOD BLESS THE WORKING STIFF!!!

You will die one thousand deaths!

j/k :P

I have no idea, I cant stand top ramen. Simply because in the past there have been times when I have had to consume mass quantaties as well.

I didnt die one thousand deaths, I didnt even die one. You should be okay I would assume, especially if you are adding fresh veggies and getting rid of the "flavor packet"

But im no expert.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

You get what you pay for

Many cheap ramens are high in msg and cottonseed oil. Nasty stuff that. I've eaten a lot of it in my day too, but now I only get the better stuff. You're not doing yourself any favors by eating cheap ramen. You'd do much better on a low budget diet of beans and rice.

There used to be a brand of ramen called "kung fu noodles". I tried them once for a laugh. They were horrible.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Talking

If I recall the MSG tricks the part of the taste buds that register "filling/satisfying" they were invented post WWII because the Japanese inventor was afraid his country was going to starve. I have lived on those things in the past. I did years of my lunch being a can of Tuna mixed with a drained ramen and butter. I just wish they weren't fried. I spent 8 hours at work once googling ramen and learned alot.
    Last edited by Egg fu young; 02-08-2008 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Many cheap ramens are high in msg and cottonseed oil. Nasty stuff that. I've eaten a lot of it in my day too, but now I only get the better stuff. You're not doing yourself any favors by eating cheap ramen. You'd do much better on a low budget diet of beans and rice.

There used to be a brand of ramen called "kung fu noodles". I tried them once for a laugh. They were horrible.
    lol, i have a pack of the kungfu noodles on my bookshelf holding some books up.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Well, you are getting rid of the massive amounts of Sodium Chloride, and various other Sodium containing crap (msg or sodium benzoate are pretty common in ramen. The flavor packet is where alot of the bad stuff is at.

Other than that, it is just the fat content, but if you are training regularly, then fat won't hurt you. Also, you are adding steam veggies and chicken, which adds some protein and fiber nutrition to ramens lack thereof. I dont see how it could be bad for you, especially in comparison to fast food. Sounds pretty flavorless though.

Considering you don't use the flavor pack anyway, I'd just go buy spaghetti or some other pasta. It's inexpensive also, and it tastes better.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Dude, at least spend the extra 5 cents and get a brand better than Top Ramen.

Maruchan or Nissin, or if you're ballin out of control, Sapporo Ichiban or whatever it's called.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Dude, at least spend the extra 5 cents and get a brand better than Top Ramen.

Maruchan or Nissin, or if you're ballin out of control, Sapporo Ichiban or whatever it's called.
    That has to be the best use of " ballin' " by a white guy in . . . well, forever.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

oddly enough i am currently eating my very first packet of ramen noodles in years. my buddy just moved and gave me some protein powder and a family pack of ramen noodles. they aren't very tasty. i may try to stir fry some up with some veggies before giving the rest away.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    oddly enough i am currently eating my very first packet of ramen noodles in years. my buddy just moved and gave me some protein powder and a family pack of ramen noodles. they aren't very tasty. i may try to stir fry some up with some veggies before giving the rest away.
    Is your avatar/ user comment a reference to the "winning arguments on the internet is like winning the special olympics" saying.

Haha, subtle, but very funny.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    (shhhh, secret post...)
    Barilla makes a good high protien pasta. Buy some elbow macaroni, or some other shape you enjoy (pasta is basically a play-doh fun factory-different shapes of the same dough) Cook up a s**tload, drain and put in a huge bowl. then take two cans of tuna,drained and throw it in, chop up some onion, add mayo, salt and pepper to taste,and voila! You have a high protien, low cost meal for a few days. Keep it in the fridge and enjoy.

Eggs are cheap and rich in protien. Egg salad is easy to make-hard-boiled eggs, mayo and chopped onion. Bread is freakin cheap-a good whole grain bread is a dollar and change a loaf.
    (mayo and onion rule!)

Peanut butter-excellent cheap protien-PB&J, peanut butter and bananna samich washed down with a tall glass of milk-big protien!

Cheaper cuts of meat can be stewed long in a pot, throw in some potatoes,carrots,onion, and you have a great stew. (most Jewish/Russian soul food is just methods of eating on a budget-pot roast, flanken, corned beef, etc)

Chicken can be cheap-thighs are less expensive than breast. Bone is cheaper than boneless.
    Chopped chuck is cheaper than sirloin, leaner cuts are cheaper than "marbled" cuts of beef. Stew it, or cut it small and stir-fry-add chopped vegies, garlic,a dash of soy sauce and you have great food.
    Cooking is like Gung-Fu-you will only be limited by your imagination.
    you can eat well, and cheap. It just takes a bit of imagination.

Taking Partial or full Hydrogenated fat or Trans Fat is just like keep coating the body's bio cell with a plastic coating.

Taking all those soft drink is just like keep poluted the body with toxic fluid.

Taking white sugar, flour, rice.... is just like taking addictive candy.

The training of Shen, Qi, and Yee is in a big time block via these modern highly process food.

Take care of the nature, Take care of the eco, take care of one's body for that is one's temple or vehicle to see God, Dao, or Buddha.

In the Chinese Buddhism practice, Food is a very important core. Buddhist dont take meat...onion...etc to keep the body balance and clear. Now, with all these Plastic coading fat and toxic.....

How are we going to even think about get our Kung Fu training work properly?
    People talk about this type of Kung and that type of Kung or Shao Lin Yi Jing Jing or the Wudang.... but without proper food, how is those kung going to be attained? not to mention, one might not even get a clear mind or mood.

Die is not a problem for everyone die. but then, to be the slave of medication and living as a living death without a clear mind is a problem.

Can food is also cause issue since it is highly process.

If one is traing in Qigong and keep taking these high process modern food. what is the out come? well, at Damo time, there is no such issue. and thus how do you expect Damo's kung work today?

eat something simple and fresh, some vegi, some butter, some coconut, some brown rice, some fruits.... it doenst have to be luxury stuffs. it only needs to be as close to nature grown as possible and return to the village food in the old time....

BTW one dont need to take those salt at all. Nature vegi has those stuffs...

But then, the main issue is do one determine to not get control by the taste or convernient.... Taste and convernient, or Kung Fu and freedom, your choice.

Educate ourself on fat,

http://coconutoil.com/diet_disease.htm
    http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/butter.html

take good care of your body, and your mind will be clear, and then take good care of the Nature for we all live in the Nature.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 02-19-2008 at 05:59 PM.

so u a broke son of a b!tch.....but u can afford steam veggies and chicken....
    fool go cook up some white rice and eat it with steam veggies and chicken.....
    im sure that has to be better than ramen

Well I don't know if it's good for me, but I love chicken flaver cup-of-noodles. I eat it several times a week. They have only 300 calories a cup, 7g of protein, and they fill me up for hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it