Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Ramen

Ramen noodles are generally deep fried before drying into that little square patty... so, overall, even the noodles themselves are not so great. High in sodium and MSG (even worse for you) and hydrolyzed vegetable protein (an MSG analogue).

FWIW, i really like Shin Ramen, a Korean brand. The noodles are really thick, and the portion in pretty substantial, more than the usual. The 'soup' is super spicy and will make you sweat. In Korea, this brand is often used, even at restaurants, who add a bunch of other stuff to it for a tasty hot snack.

IMHO you'd be better off with a simple diet of rice and kimchi.

The food industry is trying to kill the poor folks with all that cr@p they put in our most inexpensive foods. And the Glutamate Association lobby group keeps it that way.

be well

herb ox

It's true... Shin Ramen is actually one of the best brands you can get for your money. Less preservatives, better ingredients (my favorite is the lobster one) and like most Korean food it'll warm you up and make you sweat like Ron Jeremy. Great on cold rainy days like this one.

Thanks for the recipe, TT. I'm gonna try it this weekend.
    GOD BLESS THE WORKING STIFF!!!

I was in the store the other day and I wound up by the Ramen. I noticed that there was a healthier Ramen. Its a bit more expensive (34 cents a pack) but the noodles are baked (not fried) and there is less sodium as well. I bought about six packages to try out and its pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis_Student View Post
    I was in the store the other day and I wound up by the Ramen. I noticed that there was a healthier Ramen. Its a bit more expensive (34 cents a pack) but the noodles are baked (not fried) and there is less sodium as well. I bought about six packages to try out and its pretty good.
    I purchased a few packs of a brand called "Choice Ramen" by Nissin (I think.) I was quite surprised- for being much healthier it was pretty good. My wife loved the fact that there were lots of noodles too (I like the broth better.)

I like to indulge in the Shin Ramyun stuff every once in a while too though. That broth is simply the best.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    All right, I know this is kind of a weird and random question, but for the health junkies on this board, are there any known risks to consuming significant amounts of this product? The reason is simply that I'm a broke son of a b!tch and can't afford the good stuff (i.e. wheat noodles). I know they have some preservatives, but whenever I cook them I get rid of the flavor packet since that's where the majority of the sodium is, add an assortment of steamed veggies/chicken/etc, and it's actually become somewhat of an art form for me. Of all the possible culinary vices I'd say that's my only one.

So, what's the deal? Am I gonna die if I eat 'em every day? Or am I overanalyzing this just a hair?
    Its always going to be cheaper to cook your own food. Get a Asian size bag of rice (cheap as hell becouse of the bulk). Get some cheap soup base, thats all you need.
    When you buy meat freeze it and then shave off small amounts little by little. You don't want to know how much I spent last fall on food. Its really not a great diet for training... ( OK yah I should have realized that). I am adding allot of veggies and fruit to that diet. Fresh veggies and fruit are dirt cheap here in Brooklyn.
    Bottom line is that your wasting money if your living off packaged noodle soup. That and meal replacement shakes are all I eat. (you can buy them in bulk off the Inet).
    Last edited by monji112000; 02-20-2008 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTravesty View Post
    I purchased a few packs of a brand called "Choice Ramen" by Nissin (I think.) I was quite surprised- for being much healthier it was pretty good. My wife loved the fact that there were lots of noodles too (I like the broth better.)

I like to indulge in the Shin Ramyun stuff every once in a while too though. That broth is simply the best.
    That was it "Choice Ramen" not bad stuff and only 140 calories.

Just when you are putting the water in you crack an egg in there with some red pepper and you are in business!

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    Just when you are putting the water in you crack an egg in there with some red pepper and you are in business!
    oooooo so im not the only one that crack an egg in there
    i like to add SPAM in there too =D
    yum yum yum

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    In the Chinese Buddhism practice, Food is a very important core. Buddhist dont take meat...onion...etc to keep the body balance and clear. Now, with all these Plastic coading fat and toxic.....
    why no onion?
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    why no onion?

mesh up meditation stability.

Sorry Hendrik, but I'm going to have to call bullsh!t on that one. I eat onions and my meditation is plenty stable. This is exactly the kind of regurgitated dogmatic nonsense that serves to obsfucate the path and keep traditional martial and healing arts at their current level of evolution. Put simply, if eating onions or peppers diminishes the quality of my practice, then I'm a weak person.

The only way an onion can "mesh up meditation stability" is if I accidentally smell my own breath and pass out.
    Last edited by D-FENS; 02-24-2008 at 07:25 PM.
    GOD BLESS THE WORKING STIFF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    Sorry Hendrik, but I'm going to have to call bullsh!t on that one. I eat onions and my meditation is plenty stable.

This is exactly the kind of regurgitated dogmatic nonsense that serves to obsfucate the path and keep traditional martial and healing arts at their current level of evolution.

Put simply, if eating onions or peppers diminishes the quality of my practice, then I'm a weak person.

The only way an onion can "mesh up meditation stability" is if I accidentally smell my own breath and pass out.

No need to sorry if you really know the stuffs.

You might be right for your practice.

However, I prefer to follow the Buddhist patriach's instruction.
    see, I am not there yet. thus, I rather follow.

AS for your comment on
    "This is exactly the kind of regurgitated dogmatic nonsense that serves to obsfucate the path and keep traditional martial and healing arts at their current level of evolution. "

Could you please share with us who you are and what level of martial art and healing arts achievement have you attained? So that we understand where or from what level your perspective comes from?
    Last edited by Hendrik; 02-25-2008 at 12:48 PM.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I thought onion and garlic was good for the blood?

the 6/$1.00 Ramen is what I used to call my 'defcon 6' broke mode.

defcon 5 was spaghetti w/ragu and splurging for the store brand parmesan and a bottle of boone's farm sangria for a 'special' sunday night dinner.

brown rice, man. check out a hippie health food store for the bulk shiat for cheap.

for a step up, most also have a mean mixed rice blend with several types of whole grain rice and wild rice. yummy, chewy rice wit yer broccolis, karrats and chikcens!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I'm more into soba than ramen now

But when I do eat ramen, I crack an egg or two in there, with minced garlic, ginger, lemon, pepper and shoyu. That's a comfort food of mine when I'm sick or hungover.

As for the meditation issues and onions, there is a school of Buddhist thought that forbids the five pungent herbs: onions, garlic, chives, shallots and leeks. This is directly out of several Buddhist sutras, but only some sects maintain this practice. Fortunately, there is diversity in Buddhism, as within any longstanding religion, so the words of Buddha need not always be taken as law in every case. A lot is given to interpretation. Personally, I already gave up several meats, so garlic is too much to ask. And nevertheless, D-FENS, you are a weak person for reacting so. Just kidding.

This thread got me surfing for a pilgrimage that I was once considering - the ramen museum in Yokohama Japan.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    Its always going to be cheaper to cook your own food.
    gonna have to disagree with that one man. maybe if all you eat are beans and rice, but trying to eat healthy is friggen expensive. im not even talking about buying everything orgainic either ... that gets ridiculous.
    where's my beer?