Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Top Ramen

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yea, i'll second that...every time I do a dinner up good I spend over $100 for 3-4 people not including alcohol. if you could figure the cost of electricity/gas/water for prepping/cooking/cleaning I don't think you can actually eat great food at home cheaper.

Recipe Alert: sometime this weekend I'll be finalizing my new wing sauce and posting it. It's been a huge hit the last couple of months but I've just been winging it.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    .... but I've just been winging it.
    oicwutudidthare
    where's my beer?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    what?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    But when I do eat ramen, I crack an egg or two in there, with minced garlic, ginger, lemon, pepper and shoyu. That's a comfort food of mine when I'm sick or hungover.

As for the meditation issues and onions, there is a school of Buddhist thought that forbids the five pungent herbs: onions, garlic, chives, shallots and leeks. This is directly out of several Buddhist sutras, but only some sects maintain this practice. Fortunately, there is diversity in Buddhism, as within any longstanding religion, so the words of Buddha need not always be taken as law in every case. A lot is given to interpretation. Personally, I already gave up several meats, so garlic is too much to ask. And nevertheless, D-FENS, you are a weak person for reacting so. Just kidding.

This thread got me surfing for a pilgrimage that I was once considering - the ramen museum in Yokohama Japan.

" Ananda, all living beings can live if they eat what is sweet. and they will die if they take poison. Being who seek samadhi should refrain from eating five pungent plants of this world.

If these five are eaten cooked, they increase one's sexual desire; If they are eaten raw, they increase one's anger..." --- Shurangama Sutra

Shurangama sutra is the core of Zen practice . Zen or Chan patriach Hsu Yun of china in early/mid 1900's place Shurangama as the top instruction need to be follow while practicing Zen.

We like it or not. There is no discount on price. it is a causal world as it said we are what we eat.

peace

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    " Ananda, all living beings can live if they eat what is sweet. and they will die if they take poison. Being who seek samadhi should refrain from eating five pungent plants of this world.

If these five are eaten cooked, they increase one's sexual desire; If they are eaten raw, they increase one's anger..." --- Shurangama Sutra

Shurangama sutra is the core of Zen practice . Zen or Chan patriach Hsu Yun of china in early/mid 1900's place Shurangama as the top instruction need to be follow while practicing Zen.

We like it or not. There is no discount on price. it is a causal world as it said we are what we eat.

peace

maybe they were mistaken.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    maybe they were mistaken.

have you ever wonder how come less and lesser could really attain samadhi or having real kung fu in this era?

perhaps it is because the mind get too smart to play lawyer on something it has no clue all day long instead of really practising and then describe what is going on after attain the state?

I'm not giving up my garlic...

...even if it improves my practice. No, I confess. I'm totally attached to garlic. If that's what's keeping me from crossing over, so be it.

Of course, all things are impermanent. I was totally attached to beef too and I did give that up.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

In my experience with the Gurus...Patriach... they draw a clear line but they leave it to everyone to choose their level of practice.
    Human is a complicated.

It seems that the advance or deeper the level of the cultivation the more sensitive they are to the food, thoughts, emotion.....etc. in those states, lots of things was given up or cut off naturally because they know the cause and effect, they can feel the restless energy flow.

On the other hand, even the Buddha takes milk/gee/butter (sp?) as the story told before the Buddha's enligtenment, he took some milk or gee? due to his body is too weak. his body needs it.

In today's language, Milk or Butter has animal fat related vitamine A which vegitable or plant doesnt provide.... so vegitarian must be very carefull.

So, IMHO, these all are energy inter action deal. how to keep a balance is the key. and even the Buddha is not examp on it.

I have big concern on the modern city Chinese way of vegitarian food and diet.

It is going to cause trouble if they dont have a balance diet. Buddhism Vegitarian is great for practicing compassionate, however, one needs to learn to be compassionate to oneself of knowing what is a balance diet too. otherwise it is suicide in the name of compassionate.

so many thing to learn in this journey.....
    Last edited by Hendrik; 03-28-2008 at 11:07 AM.

sometimes really smart people, even wise people, mistake correlations for a causal relationship.
    where's my beer?