Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandmaster Chan Tai-San & Co. practicing Rope Dart (VIDEO)

Grandmaster Chan Tai-San & Co. practicing Rope Dart (VIDEO)

Just some clips I thought I'd post, from way back in 1991 in my Mineola, NY school.

This one is of Sifu Chan doing a bit of rope dart basics with myself and Sifu Ross.

It's nothing special, I just know that some of you dig clips like this.

Rope Dart

Enjoy.

Cool, wish it was longer. Is the rope dart more of a performance weapon?.

It did have some combat applications, I have seen it used expertly in a few movies. I think for today..mostly a practice weapon.

Fantastic, thanks for posting that! Practice or not, its always hard to find clips of rope dart. What a cool weapon...

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    It did have some combat applications, I have seen it used expertly in a few movies. I think for today..mostly a practice weapon.
    I'm trying to visualize how I would use it if I was a ninja in a bruce flick..it seems a blowgun would be better to take out the gaurd at the gate... it just seems like a lot of work to twist and shake and spit the dart at his throat as he lights his smoke...just throw a boulder at his head and punch him out, ****a ninja suit

Is this the standard Lead-headed Rope Dart of Fujian Ssu, or the three-by-six-eighths curdled steel rope dart of Pai Mei Quan?
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.

GGM CTS used to say how the Rope Dart was like life, in a lot of ways. I don't remember how, but I'm pretty sure he was right.
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seppukku View Post
    GGM CTS used to say how the Rope Dart was like life, in a lot of ways. I don't remember how, but I'm pretty sure he was right.
    a brilliant example of how something that was once marginally funny, finally collapses painfully under the weight of it's own incessant plodding...

Shaolin Wookie has run out of material
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

David, NOW do you remember???

David, NOW do you remember???
    no, it must be photoshop

wow, stuff I never realized existed, THANKS
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I have 17 tapes (averaging at least 1 1/4 hours each) of us demo'ing, training and cataloging our forms. There are at least 10 hours or more, of Sifu Chan teaching Bok Mei, Lama, Choy Lay Fut, Mok Ga, Hung Fut and Hung Kuyhn. I've got him teaching at least 13 two person - four person sets along with Heih Gung and tons of applications. I've got about 1/2 of everything digitized so that we will never lose it.

I have 17 tapes (averaging at least 1 1/4 hours each) of us demo'ing, training and cataloging our forms. There are at least 10 hours or more, of Sifu Chan teaching Bok Mei, Lama, Choy Lay Fut, Mok Ga, Hung Fut and Hung Kuyhn. I've got him teaching at least 13 two person - four person sets along with Heih Gung and tons of applications. I've got about 1/2 of everything digitized so that we will never lose it.
    Did CTS teach lion or dragon dancing?
    Last edited by monji112000; 02-10-2008 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    Did CTS teach lion or dragon dancing?
    I have his best friend teaching us...our Si-Sook. He is teaching us a CLF lion. I have about 30 minutes of it, a little bit of a routine and the lion playing with an orange. It's pretty cool, I'm not sure if I will post it though. Our Si-Sook has since passed away and was about 64 years old at the time of filming 1991, if I remember. He was pretty tough. Im not sure how old he was when he died, but I will assume mid 80's.
    Last edited by Lama Pai Sifu; 02-10-2008 at 05:33 PM.

I have his best friend teaching us...our Si-Sook. He is teaching us a CLF lion. I have about 30 minutes of it, a little bit of a routine and the lion playing with an orange. It's pretty cool, I'm not sure if I will post it though. Our Si-Sook has since passed away and was about 64 years old if I remember. He was pretty tough.
    thats cool. I used to love watching and playing the lion.