Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: i got assaulted and robbed tonight

i got assaulted and robbed tonight

My girlfriend dropped me off 1 block away from my apartment. We had just gotten back from dinner. It was about 7:30 and dark out. I get out of her car and kiss her goodbye. Drives away. I start walking towards my apartment when all of a sudden 7 black kids (juveniles, all under 18) jump me (came out of the alley) and just start beating me up. I told them I didn't have any money. I didn't have my wallet or cellphone, just my keys. I start screaming for help while they are pounding me. Mostly my face. I couldn't see ****. Everything is just a blur. I just remember feeling punches from all directions. I'm screaming "help help" and then they finally run off. I get up and run and into this guy and he calls 911. Cops show up. I tell them what happened. They catch them all and I had to id them. I am a ****ing *******. I could only recognize 2 of them. So they only arrested 2 and let the rest go. All under 18. My face looks like ****. Mostly just bruising, no cuts.

I am not in pain. I am just ****ing ****ed off. I felt so helpless and couldn't do anything. My body didn't react. More than 5 years of martial art training just a waist. My legs wouldn't move. My girlfriend was driving so I wore these ****ing sandals because it was nice out. I froze. I curled up on the ****ing ground as 7 people just pounded on my face.

I am just so ****ed off. It caught me completely off guard. I never thought this could happen to me. I wish I had ran after them and just beaten the **** out of them. But I couldn't. My body froze and my mind went blank.

Unsuccessful night for them I guess. I didn't have my wallet or any other things.

Have you ever been assaulted? Robbed? How do I get over this. My heart is still racing and I can't seem to fall asleep. This was just on the side street on my apartment.

Thanks.

God I cannot fall asleep...

Very traumatic, indeed.

But the first thing you've got to do is forgive yourself. For just freezing up when under such an attack. 7/1 is very traumatic and scary.

Drink some red wine...or some warm milk...and try to get some sleep.

Tomorrow you can begin to work on training under the stress of multiple opponents with your buddies and classmates.

Don't be afraid or ashamed to tell them what happened. They'll empathize with you and want to help - if for no other reason than the realization that it could someday happen to them.

And of course your instructor.

But if he's not responsive - search out some Tony Blauer type training (and he's just one of many good examples - Geoff Thompson is another).

In fact you should google Thompson's name and read some of his articles about real life stressful violent encounters and how to deal with them. Also check out the street/reality fighting forum on this website.

It's about stress training first and foremost - and then with working the best possible scenarios against multiple attackers (ie.- run...try to manuever so that the guy in front of you is blocking out the guy behind him - don't get surrounded...which kinds of techniques work best against multiple guys, etc.)

But mostly it's about handling the stress emotionally. You need this kind of training more than anything else.

And as soon as you can. Don't let grass grow under your feet.

Jump back into the pool as soon as you can kinda thing.

But it all starts with forgiving yourself.

Good advice from UWC. Isolation is your enemy. Talking about it helps you grieve, recover, get past it.

It's just an event to get past. No reflection on you, your training, your martial arts work. Anyone can get surprised. In most tougher neighborhoods, nobody is out on any street w/o 6 or 7 friends.

Given the circumstances I think you did really well. At least you are still around to tell the tale. (It could have been considerably worse).

I respect you for posting an account on this forum. You are probably suffering the effects of PTSD. Although it is a good idea to analyze what went wrong and how to prevent this from happening again, you must try to do so without 'reliving' the stress of the incident. By reliving the incident you may end up magnifying the emotions triggered by the memory of the event and creating an even bigger trap of fear. I hope this makes sense! In other words try to be objective when you think about the incident otherwise you may end up reconfirming the stress that is associated with it.

Focus on the fact that:

a) you survived
    b) it could have happened to anyone
    c) anyone would have problems with recalling faces after the incident
    d) martial arts do not make you invincible

Something that really helped when I started delving deeper into the psychology of violence was a superb book called Strong on Defense:

http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Defense.../dp/0671535110

I can provide you with quite a few suggestions in terms of resources regarding violence/martial arts, But I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for. If you are interested PM me.

Suki Gosal
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Man, good luck to you.

As people said, get back into the swing of things, don't get the funk when you're out at night, don't dwell on it too much: you'll get over it.

I've had a few muggings and **** in the past. The PTSD thing is about right - and nothing to be ashamed of. The first time took me a wee while to get over, as did the time when I was so whiskied up I couldn't remember anything of it (that one really shook me up, and I totally modified my attitude to drinking since). You get used to it.

As for multiple attacker training I find a lot of it sucks and doesn't help in the situation: all-out aggression drills will probably serve you as well. Animal Day type stuff; in your face shout and be shouted at drills; whaling on a bag like a ****ing maniac; destroying some pads... that kind of thing.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

where was this ?

Taking on the odds of 7-1 with only 5 years of MA training is too much for anyone except Bas Rutten.

Honesly, there's not much you could have done. It wasn't a straight-up fight. It was an ambush from behind. Unless you study combat ninjitsu, there's really no way to prepare for that kind of scenario. It's not that your marital arts training is useless....far from it. There were 7 guys, none of whom has a lick of courage or skill, whose only means of overwhelming you is through superior numbers---note: not skill. So, you need to take it easy on yourself.

Don't beat yourself up over it. You've got to heal, get stronger, and train harder (not so much so you can get revenge [PM me if you're out for bloody vengeance], but so that you can work yourself through this ordeal). Talk to everyone you can trust about the issue. People who get attacked and bottle it up develop psychological issues. You need to talk about it with family and friends. Also, move to a new apartment.

Seriously, I'm just glad your girlfriend wasn't with you at the time. Things could have been worse.

Oh, and if you see one of those little punks on the street, call up seven of your buddies and choerograph a little tap dance.
    Last edited by Seppukku; 02-09-2008 at 07:38 AM.
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.

Quote Originally Posted by Seppukku View Post
    Seriously, I'm just glad your girlfriend wasn't with you at the time. Things could have been worse.
    The troll has a point.

Oh, and if you see one of those little punks on the street, call up seven of your buddies and choerograph a little tap dance.
    LOL
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    But the first thing you've got to do is forgive yourself. For just freezing up when under such an attack. 7/1 is very traumatic and scary.

It's about stress training first and foremost - and then with working the best possible scenarios against multiple attackers (ie.- run...try to manuever so that the guy in front of you is blocking out the guy behind him - don't get surrounded...which kinds of techniques work best against multiple guys, etc.)

{snip}

But mostly it's about handling the stress emotionally. You need this kind of training more than anything else.

And as soon as you can. Don't let grass grow under your feet.

Jump back into the pool as soon as you can kinda thing.

But it all starts with forgiving yourself.
    Amen....

Well said Victor.

This kind of experience can take you out of the game or make you stronger... Work toward the latter.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Glad to hear you survived, at least none of them packed a knife. Guys have gotten killed from senseless group attacks before.

Maybe a little vigilantism is a good thing when those little sh*ts enjoy the privilege of being too young to be charged....sucks that it's right outside your apt.

Kind of reminds me to carry something on my person at night

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by ไRui_Jingδ View Post
    . . . I start walking towards my apartment when all of a sudden 7 black kids (juveniles, all under 18) jump me (came out of the alley) and just start beating me up. . .
    I'll assume you're not black since you mentioned their race.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

some one once said to me: "f**k it, whats a beating" and i think it's a point if you think about it

at least if it happens again you know you'll at least beat the **** out the leader while his mates are beating you lol

take it easy on your self bud, laugh about it (sounds stupid but it works)

Where exactly did all this take place? Why did you have your girlfriend drop you off one block away from your home? Im also curious as to why you mentioned their race, if it was one block from your home maybe these guys are your neighbors? You havent posted again so I am also assuming youre just trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuan fa View Post
    Where exactly did all this take place? Why did you have your girlfriend drop you off one block away from your home? Im also curious as to why you mentioned their race, if it was one block from your home maybe these guys are your neighbors? You havent posted again so I am also assuming youre just trolling.
    thanks for your help
    Last edited by ไRui_Jingδ; 02-12-2008 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I'll assume you're not black since you mentioned their race.
    Why can't I mention someone's race as one of the few characteristics I remember about them? If they were Asian, I would say Asian. If they were Latino, I would say Latino. I have no problem if someone wants to describe me as a white guy.

I'm not a racist. I happen to go to a college that is in a city where there are quite a few black people, I work with a few black guys and I enjoy listening to jazz.