Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: i got assaulted and robbed tonight

"Profiling" is such a false issue...

Naming who it is who attacked you is not "profiling" - it's simply naming who it is who attacked you. Duh!

What is he supposed to do? Tell the police that 7 guys attacked him - but not say what they looked like? For fear of "profiling"?

Makes no sense, right?

So if he can tell police what they looked like - why can't he tell us?
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 02-09-2008 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ไRui_Jingδ View Post
    My girlfriend dropped me off 1 block away from my apartment. We had just gotten back from dinner. It was about 7:30 and dark out. I get out of her car and kiss her goodbye. Drives away. I start walking towards my apartment when all of a sudden 7 black kids (juveniles, all under 18) jump me (came out of the alley) and just start beating me up. I told them I didn't have any money. I didn't have my wallet or cellphone, just my keys. I start screaming for help while they are pounding me. Mostly my face. I couldn't see ****. Everything is just a blur. I just remember feeling punches from all directions. I'm screaming "help help" and then they finally run off. I get up and run and into this guy and he calls 911. Cops show up. I tell them what happened. They catch them all and I had to id them. I am a ****ing *******. I could only recognize 2 of them. So they only arrested 2 and let the rest go. All under 18. My face looks like ****. Mostly just bruising, no cuts.

I am not in pain. I am just ****ing ****ed off. I felt so helpless and couldn't do anything. My body didn't react. More than 5 years of martial art training just a waist. My legs wouldn't move. My girlfriend was driving so I wore these ****ing sandals because it was nice out. I froze. I curled up on the ****ing ground as 7 people just pounded on my face.

I am just so ****ed off. It caught me completely off guard. I never thought this could happen to me. I wish I had ran after them and just beaten the **** out of them. But I couldn't. My body froze and my mind went blank.

Unsuccessful night for them I guess. I didn't have my wallet or any other things.

Have you ever been assaulted? Robbed? How do I get over this. My heart is still racing and I can't seem to fall asleep. This was just on the side street on my apartment.

Thanks.

God I cannot fall asleep...
    Hey bro.. You might check this out..
    http://rmcat.com/index.html?fresh=1

Best of luck,
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Horrible circumstances and best wishes for a speedy and healthy recovery.

Post traumatic stress can be a problem, so if you need help, make sure you get (qualified) help.

You survived, that's the important thing.

Post The point

It seems that the main issue of this post has gotten lost IMO. This person got jumped and now he needs time to recover. From what I can remember from his original, he felt that his martial arts training had failed him in his time of need. That is a hard thing to say for someone who has trained for the amount of time he did (five years). Since this is a martial arts forum, maybe we should focus on what he could have done or what he can do if he runs into a similar situation. This may be an opportunity to learn something or to evaluate our own self defense tactics. Just a few suggestions.

Let's please not cloud it with another issue altogether. He pointed out who his attackers were and that is natural. He came to this forum because he probably felt he could talk to us about it. Let's show some compassion and hope that nothing like this happens to any of our loved ones.

**You shouldn't respond to any more comments regarding this controversial topic. If you didn't mention anything about the attackers, I'm sure someone here would probably have asked you sooner or later.**

Don't be too hard on yourself. The street is relentless and maybe its time to step your training or branch out into different styles to better improve your self defense. I'm sorry that you were attacked but at least your girlfriend was away from the danger.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOQLg7Kc8So

Something worth a listen -- here's a world class fighter in a similar situation, just trying to survive (he even used the guard in a fight with multiple, armed opponents!).

Your training didn't fail you. No amount of training would help. A pack of wolves (each wolf weighs 100 lbs) can bring down a bison (that weighs a ton). No one beats multiple attackers except in the movies. The best you can hope to do is survive. It's like the crash of an airplane, if you walk away with only minor injuries, that's the best result possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    The question is: if they were white would you have said '7 white guys attacked me'? No. It's completely natural to mention their race (BECAUSE it is different to yours). It's also racist.
    Mate this is complete PC brigade BS. No offence to you though.

Racism is assuming something, anything based on race. Stereotyping.

Example- If i said....

90% of my countries prison population is made up of 10 % of the total population.
    Which are Polynesian. that is a fact, its true.

If i said they were in jail because they were polynesian, its blindingly obvious thats racist.

I took it like he stated a fact, he was painting a picture for us, im not sure his real intentions cause i dont know him. But if it happened to me and i was attacked id say the same thing with NO racism intended. It is what it is.

Its such a touchy subject to some and some people dont want to offend others. but lets not get to politically correct.....

It can get so rediculous to the point that i could say calling/stereotyping a guy as being racist cause hes white refering to others as being black......is racist in itself........towards white people.

Just for the record im not saying you are. But do you get my point ?

Im a member of a mixed colour family, ive had these discussions before

Now Seppukus call about Jazz - that was freaking racist and i think he needs a beating....if not from me, then from the Mods (internet style of course)

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    The question is: if they were white would you have said '7 white guys attacked me'? No. It's completely natural to mention their race (BECAUSE it is different to yours). It's also racist.

If you were talking to the police, it wouldn't be racist: they need to know. We don't. If you were putting in some socio-economic context it may be relevant. You weren't.
    He was relating the story to us, AFTER he talked to the cops. Give him a break, situations like this require time for a person to readjust and it appears that he made the post shortly after it happened. He probably only mentioned their race because it was brought up in his description to the cops, and it was fresh on his mind. I happened to work at a law enforcement facility and this type of "profiling" happens all the time by the victims of crimes. Regardless of whether or not the assailants are of the same race as the victims. If it had been seven white guys, then his mind would be trying to place them in a different social level as himself. Victims of violent crimes need to separate themselves from their perps in various ways. Race and social levels happen to be the easiest, and therefore most common ways.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOQLg7Kc8So
    Something worth a listen -- here's a world class fighter in a similar situation, just trying to survive
    Its an even more amazing story after you watch his highlight reel.
    The guys a machine !
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Regardless of what race they were,You are okay and you can start with the healing and use it as a learning tool so it can't happen to you again.I'm Half and Half,Chinese Black guy its hard to offend me,But we are fellow Gung Fu man and that enough for me.A lot of us think that just because we practice a martial art that it makes use invincible(However we all can be victims at some point)10 years ago one of my fellow martial art female friends was sexually assault,just putting her groceries in her truck and someone walked up and she became victim.All i can tell you my friend is work through it,get better and don't let it rule your life style.I'll keep you in my prayers

Everyone should take this test:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

and then read what the research has shown.

Then you will better understand where Phil is coming from.

Rui_Jingδ,

I am sorry to read about your mass attack and hope you are recovering from this traumatic event. I do a lot research on stress and there is a book about trauma by DR Peter Levine called, "Walking the Tiger". http://www.traumahealing.com/store_waking.html I would recommend that you try to remember the events in your mind and then go run it off on the treadmill or outdoor. This will help you release the physical and mental trauma. I hope this book will help you.

Seppukku,

Please send my regards to Master Soto. Tell him his old student named "Tran" from NYC bows to his old teacher. I believe I was youngest to achieve a first degree black belt in his dojo in midtown manhattan. Yup, when I was a teenager (13-16) I spent my nights not in front of the TV but in the dojo training.
    Last edited by FooFighter; 02-11-2008 at 07:53 AM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    Mate this is complete PC brigade BS. No offence to you though.
    Fair enough. That's another distinct possibility!

Racism is assuming something, anything based on race. Stereotyping.
    Nah. That definition of racism doesn't cover it. Racism can also be transmitting stereotypes. The fact that they were black means it's not the OP making black people look bad: they did that themselves, and yes, they are represntatives of their racial type even more so than say, George Bush is a representative of white people world over because that's the way it is with the inherent racism in predominant western views propagated through the news. The fact that he chose this fact to tell us (he didn't tell us previously they were wearing hoodies - just as relevant to criminal profiling, or that he suspected that they were from a bad neighbourhood) is indicative of racism. I don't mean he meant to be, hence the part of my post you quoted, I'm just saying it was.

This kind of racism is natural I think: it's the fear of the unknown and the different in any species. I do it too. But it's something we should be aware of, and challenge in ourselves IMO. I used to think I was colour blind till I got to know a couple of black people, and found myself very occasionally saying things like, 'My black friend...' and often realising that his colour had **** all to do with my story! It was a little disturbing! (It was also interesting to see that nobody ever pulled me up on it: I'm an educated white guy so I guess everybody's default stance is that this is OK to say - not just among my Japanese friends but the foreigners here too...)

In general, apart from the test of whether he would say, 'I was attacked by seven white guys...' (of course, if he stressed the word white... this would also be racist! ), there's the test that if he were speaking to his black friends, would he tell the story in the same way: i.e. saying 'I was attacked by seven black guys...'? I don't think so. Why? Because it shouldn't really be acceptable.

It can get so rediculous to the point that i could say calling/stereotyping a guy as being racist cause hes white refering to others as being black......is racist in itself........towards white people.
    LOL, yeah, that's a reasonable point!

Now Seppukus call about Jazz - that was freaking racist and i think he needs a beating....if not from me, then from the Mods (internet style of course)
    Yeah, but he's a frigging troll just here to wind people up, and as such I thought that was quite funny!

Naja, great post and I agree. But I still think that that kind of profiling is something we need to minimize. If I live in an area where particularly black violent crime is endemic, that kind of mental profiling is not racist as much as a survival technique. He doesn't. Is he going to be concerned next time he sees a group (gang?) of blacks at night? Yes. Is he right to be? Maybe so. But he just needs to make sure that he counts the times he's seen groups of black people who haven't attacked him too!

Man, I lived in a truely multicultural high-crime area and have had the **** beaten out of me by whites, blacks, Asians, mixed race, d amn, you name it! He needs to get out more!

This'll be my last longwinded BS on this thread - I do hear what he's saying and it's no fun getting rolled... I know!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Everyone should take this test:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

and then read what the research has shown.

Then you will better understand where Phil is coming from.
    Interesting test, I didn't care much for how many negative words were "associated" with African Americans though.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Interesting test, I didn't care much for how many negative words were "associated" with African Americans though.
    Including the term "African American"...it drives some of my black friends nuts, especially if they are from Canada, Africa, the Caribbean...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Naming who it is who attacked you is not "profiling" - it's simply naming who it is who attacked you. Duh!

What is he supposed to do? Tell the police that 7 guys attacked him - but not say what they looked like? For fear of "profiling"?

Makes no sense, right?

So if he can tell police what they looked like - why can't he tell us?
    Now when I post about training, sparring, meeting, fighting, etc., some one I'm going to have to write their ethnicities. So when I speak of my Sicilian/Calabrez, Irish/Scottish, English/ Welsh, Jamaican/Chinese, Filipino/Irish/Italian, white-African-American, etc., friends I'm going to have to type even more? Jeesh, thanks Victor. . .
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr