Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terminologies, methods, theories & maxims

Terminologies, methods, theories & maxims

After seeing that there are many Sifu that contrubute to this forum I was wondering if anybody would like to share their thoughts on the language used to teach Wing Chun.

Is it a 'secret' coded tongue? Is knowledge only ever 'verbally' passed down? Do you use scrict 'codes of conduct' and set, structured curriculums?

Whatever the terminology, method, theory or maxim this thread is created for you to discuss all the countless variations of teaching Wing Chun...

Heres a link to WingChunPedia...

all secret handshakes, codes, and hand signals ....the first move of every form contains the secret....the level of the action gives the whole idea ...many hide it by pointing the hands down to the ground, many dont know the code, so they give the actions a meaning for 'application' rather than a clear line of thought ...the rest of the system is abstract, resulting in many attempting to ,again, translate with rational 'application' ...once one understands the 'code' the system is revealed...and re-inforced throughout the forms....the weapons contain the tactics that are applied to all actions, unless these simple ideas are revealed ones maximum potential will never be reached in VT.... and will result in kamikaze like attacks with nothing but chain punches

Arrow Lone Tiger 108

http://www.fongswingchun.com/home.html

Lone Tiger -the above Augustine Fong site under "resources" has a curriculum and a dictionary of terms.

Many of the terms and concepts and kuen kuit by "osmosis" shows up in different collections.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    After seeing that there are many Sifu that contrubute to this forum I was wondering if anybody would like to share their thoughts on the language used to teach Wing Chun.

Is it a 'secret' coded tongue? Is knowledge only ever 'verbally' passed down? Do you use scrict 'codes of conduct' and set, structured curriculums?

Whatever the terminology, method, theory or maxim this thread is created for you to discuss all the countless variations of teaching Wing Chun...
    My thoughts only. I think the language is important to reveal some inoformation. Tan for example means something and someone chose that name over other names. But what we don't see a lot of in wing chun that is found in other arts is hidden names and meanings. Other arts use fanciful names to describe various aspects of their arts. One exception was Pan Nam, he had interesting names for every thing. But wing chun typically doesn't seem to have this at its core.

I find many hands don't even seem to have proper names. Perhaps they were lost, perhaps they arn't important, perhaps they are just variations on other hands. I don't know. But it seems we have a core set of terminology that we are interested in, then we have other stuff. But there doesn't seem to be a secret tounge or langauge.

The closest I would say we get is the Kuen Kuits. But I think even those are pretty straight forward. They are not too secret in their meaning if you see them. A few are abstract and difficult to understand, but then again every domain has such complex knowledge, which usually isn't secret.

Just my thought on the topic
    I've only just discovered my error, and I'm going to have to replay whole sections of my life through my mind to see what confusions I may have caused or fallen foul of.
    --Douglas Adams

Lonetiger

In the USA, most Kuen Kuit are from the H.K Clan. The 2 men that spread the Kuen Kuit before ANYONE did to non Asians, were Moy Yat and Augustine Fong. Hands down. I havnt seen many lists, that dont include their material. I have done my best to figure out what came from who and give them the credit they deserve. I always respected and appreciated both of the above mentioned WCK masters for there forecoming nature in breaking down racial barriers, with really Open hearts. While others complained about this was differant or that was differant to how i "do it" , Fong Sifu was the first to put the entire system down on vid and book, to my knowledge, and open many up to their first look at Biu Tze.

B
    "i see thy nose, but not what dog to feed it to" othello

Is it a 'secret' coded tongue?
    Only for people under the age of twelve, hopefully. Secrets generally do not help the growth of knowledge or skills, and end with inferior results because not enough scrutiny and pressure are brought to bear on the "secret" stuff.

Matt Thornton makes some sound arguments against the use of special terminology and exotic names for techniques, which Terence will probably parrot on this thread in the near future.

Is knowledge only ever 'verbally' passed down?
    Only by the illiterate. Some say theirs is an oral tradition, but they usually say this in a long book.

Do you use scrict 'codes of conduct' and set, structured curriculums?
    I'd prefer people thought for themselves and develop morality from within and encourage them to do so. All the MA's I practice have structured grading curricula, but flexible teaching methods.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

This isn't Kuen Kuit, its Hao Kuit...

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    I'd prefer people thought for themselves and develop morality from within and encourage them to do so. All the MA's I practice have structured grading curricula, but flexible teaching methods.
    Something I can actually agree with you on at last. Although I have learnt set teaching methods, just different interpretations for different personalities and generations.

I would like anyones opinion on this webpage which has an original piece of text presented to myself and my Si Hing when we founded our Academy.

http://www.theyumyeurngacademy.co.uk...oundation.html

It's a bit crowded, and the requirement to bump up your screen resolution is lame web design. you'd be better with some sort of cascading menu system and structure rather than trying to cram everything possible on page one.

I don't read Chinese, so can't comment on the text.

This isn't Kuen Kuit, its Hao Kuit...
    And your point is ....
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Is it a 'secret' coded tongue?
    Wow, I thought I was the only one with a code on my tongue..

I wish I could read it..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Wow, I thought I was the only one with a code on my tongue..

I wish I could read it..
    This could be a major problem in Chinese Medicine, considering we use the tongue and the pulse as the backbone of diagnosis.

Send me a photo!
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Hi Kenton..

Yeah the symbol is said to amplify my chi through the tongue meridian and allows me to use WCK's little known, no touch killing techniques. Sorry, I can't show it to you unless you prove you have closed door MJ-12 status by going through the 108 secret hand shakes with me, which would be hard to do over the Net..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Hi Kenton..

Yeah the symbol is said to amplify my chi through the tongue meridian and allows me to use WCK's little known, no touch killing techniques. Sorry, I can't show it to you unless you prove you have closed door MJ-12 status by going through the 108 secret hand shakes with me, which would be hard to do over the Net..
    Well at least I'm on the East Coast...

There's no such meridian ON the tongue, however the Heart is said to Flower into the tongue and if the punch comes from the heart...I can see how the connection could be drawn.

“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

I think it is critical to appreciate the distinction between the subject matter, what you are trying to learn to *do*, and the curriculum, how it is taught. WCK is not the forms, the drills, the kuit, the keywords, etc. WCK is a learned (physical) skill (skill set). Just as is boxing or wrestling. Or just as riding a bicycle or skiing are learned skills. As such, it is not intellectually-based. It is skill-based. And so, there is not a lot of "knowledge" -- at least beyond the superficial level -- that can be "verbally passed down." Not that there aren't things to learn. Only verbal information is severely limited in its usefulness. Learning a (physical) skill involves being taught the skill (learn how to *perform* it) and then practicing the skill (train by doing the skill) until it becomes second nature (habitual).

When you see things this way, the notion of "secret coded tongues" is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post

When you see things this way, the notion of "secret coded tongues" is laughable.
    your wife wasnt laughing when i unleashed my "secret coded tounge" on her j/k