Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: i got assaulted and robbed tonight

What he said in his opening post was not profiling, Phil.

He was simply stating facts.

Jeez...

Train for mass situations all you want, adrenal stress training is a good thing, but it's in circumstances like this that a legally or for that matter a illegally carried firearm or weapon can become your best friend.

Traumatic moments like this are dangerous and very frightening, they can leave very lasting impressions on you and how you will now view the world from then on.

It's important to share your feelings actually, who really gives a **** if their racist or not, that is far besides the point, it's not about being judged or punished but to understand that the feeling you may be having, of self blame is normal.

Some ideas to help you pass the time as you run the event in your mind, to help take the legs out of the emotional stress, is to keep working out, maintain some regular physical exercise. Also, don't be afraid to take some time to be alone from your martial training, work on another hobby to not reinforce your thoughts on the failure of such and such "system."

Most of all, make sure to talk it out, when you need to with buds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    What he said in his opening post was not profiling, Phil.

He was simply stating facts.

Jeez...
    I sent you an email so that we can keep this off of this thread.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 02-12-2008 at 08:32 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

not worth it.
    Last edited by ไRui_Jingδ; 02-12-2008 at 09:58 PM.

I can tell you unequivocally that Phil is not a rascist. We know each other very well for around 25 years now, and although we occasionally have our quarrels, it's never over race and we always remain friends in the end.

So you see, Phil...it's better of we discuss this publicly.

I'm Italian-American, and you're a Black-American.

And my position is this:

We do a great injustice to the innocent vistim of a violent cirme if we try to forbid them from telling us - publicly or privately - exactly who it was who assaulted them.

AT THE VERY MOMENT WHEN THAT VICTIM NEEDS OUR SUPPORT THE MOST.

And that's not fair.

It's not fair to the white guy who gets assaulted by 7 black guys - and it's not fair to the black guy who gets jumped in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, for example, by 7 white Italian guys.

The victims of violent crimes need to be able to fully identify their attackers. Otherwise we, as society, are not doing right by them at the very moment when they need our support in a big way.

Profiling is a whole other matter entirely.

Profiling is the assumption that because you're black your probably guilty in the first instance....

and the assumption that you're probably guilty if you're Italian-looking in the second instance.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 02-12-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    Train for mass situations all you want, adrenal stress training is a good thing, but it's in circumstances like this that a legally or for that matter a illegally carried firearm or weapon can become your best friend.

Traumatic moments like this are dangerous and very frightening, they can leave very lasting impressions on you and how you will now view the world from then on.

It's important to share your feelings actually, who really gives a **** if their racist or not, that is far besides the point, it's not about being judged or punished but to understand that the feeling you may be having, of self blame is normal.

Some ideas to help you pass the time as you run the event in your mind, to help take the legs out of the emotional stress, is to keep working out, maintain some regular physical exercise. Also, don't be afraid to take some time to be alone from your martial training, work on another hobby to not reinforce your thoughts on the failure of such and such "system."

Most of all, make sure to talk it out, when you need to with buds.
    Excellent post!

Word of warning though: an illegally carried weapon will get you killed if you're not trained enough to prevent them taking it off you, and will get you put away if you use one on kids, whatever the situation, in your land of legal ****bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by ไRui_Jingδ View Post
    not worth it.
    Sorry man, I'm butting out of your thread.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. This man was assaulted by 7 people and all you can do is argue over whether his post is racist or not!? Have some compassion, if he was your brother or someone you knew you wouldnt be pulling this nit-picky pc junk.

Anyways, I thought I would tell you about my situation to make you feel better. I used to be a security guard at a bowling alley with two (thats right two!) bars attached to both ends. It was a rough place, and there were four security guards there every night to keep the peace. Anyways my first violent encounter with a very drunk individual I froze up too! And there were 4 of us against 1! Thankfully the other guys were more experienced and they took care of him pretty quick and no one really noticed that I had frozen up but I did. I think it was because of the stress of the situation and because I had never really been exposed to violence much in my life. Well, it was traumatic for me but after that first time I got alot more used to it and I didnt freeze up again at least, my heart still raced and I was scared as **** but at least I could move. You really shouldnt beat yourself up. I mean there were seven guys! SEVEN heck even two or three would have been alot. But I bet you that if you ever ran into that situation again you would be much better prepared to handle it. Anyhoo just my .2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote1911 View Post
    You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. This man was assaulted by 7 people and all you can do is argue over whether his post is racist or not!? Have some compassion, if he was your brother or someone you knew you wouldnt be pulling this nit-picky pc junk.
    He's not my brother. And I think his profiling made that abundantly clear.

BTW, there are plenty of women on this board. What makes you think you're adressing "guys"? I think you should have said something like "folks" or "y'all" or "you women and men".

That is, unless you advocate the use of sexist language.
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.

Quote Originally Posted by ไRui_Jingδ View Post
    not worth it.
    Well stated. Seemingly, it is difficult for people to stay focused here.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

I believe we are all prejudice in one way or another. Whether it be race, gender or even from a WC perspective; lineage. We are limited in our ability to understand others due to our limited life experience. I think we all need to understand that we see the world through a lens that filters the information based on our narrow point of view. Where's the love brothers and sisters?

You know, I read through this thread hoping to hear some good news from it, that the gentleman involved was ok and the people who attacked him were brought to justice. Which BTW--I'm sorry to hear about what happened.

My two cents:

What I just read is beyond pathetic. People on all sides need to grow up and stop perpetuating negative aspects of society. Does it really matter is someone typed the word "black" or addressed people as "guys" when the intention was simply to I.D. a group of attackers and to address a group of people? BTW the english language is a superflous entity wherein words can have different connotations...people seem to forget that.

So please, give the PC **** a ****ing break. This is the exact reason why I stopped coming to forums online...they're 90% idiocy and 10% useful conversation.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

wow you've survived the attack by so many people, you have a great story to tell in the future. i probably would have died.

Good of you to share your incident, we all need to be vigilant

Duck

You aren't going to beat 7-1 odds. If you had fought back, they likely would've really caused some damage. Your reaction was completely natural. The only other course of action for you would've been to run, but that still runs a risk in itself.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    You aren't going to beat 7-1 odds. If you had fought back, they likely would've really caused some damage. Your reaction was completely natural. The only other course of action for you would've been to run, but that still runs a risk in itself.
    Bah, for just $399.99 Euros I can show you how to defeat up to 10 people ( more than that wil cost you an additional $299.99 Euros).
    I once kicked a man's head right off his neck, so I know what I am talking about !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post

My two cents:

What I just read is beyond pathetic. People on all sides need to grow up and stop perpetuating negative aspects of society. Does it really matter is someone typed the word "black" or addressed people as "guys" when the intention was simply to I.D. a group of attackers and to address a group of people? BTW the english language is a superflous entity wherein words can have different connotations...people seem to forget that.

So please, give the PC **** a ****ing break. This is the exact reason why I stopped coming to forums online...they're 90% idiocy and 10% useful conversation.
    It starts as I.D.-ing a group of attackers, or addressing a group of people, and soon it becomes racialized discourse, institutional hatred, discrimination, and then expurgation.

The English language has nothing to do with this. Black is an adjective that denotes color. We're debating exactly what he was connoting by the use of "black". Put this in another context for me. Was he talking about the "blackness of their hearts? Or perhaps an adumbration of "blackguard"?
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.