Thread: Traveling to China

Traveling to China

Hey guys, I haven't been here in a while, and last I was here I wasn't here for long so I'll refresh your memory about me. I'm 16, a junior in high school, I've studied Hung Gar (canton) for about 3 maybe 4 years now, I also do the lion and dragon dance at my school, I'm interested in Taoism and Buddhism, I've read alot on these things, and have personal beliefs based around them and other things, but have never visited a temple for either.

My mom this summer is wanting to send me to a program in China to teach english to kids, so that I keep productive and don't sleep in the whole time. It would be in Hunan, in the city Xiaoshicun (I believe, i know it's in hunan). I've read the schedules and such and my only concern is I won't have enough free time to explore what I'm truly interested in, and will be constricted to staying with their schedule and not finding my own. I would really love to just go to china to just study martial arts, and Buddhism (I'm more interested in practicing Buddhism than Taoism as I'd like to consider myself one, but I haven't taken refuge). Of course whenever I look into google for some travel angency that fits my needs, it tends to be some big group tour where you take group classes, and learn taiji from a very basic level and only receive 1-3 classes as most of it is focused on exploring china. If any of you guys know of a place/person/organization that could really help me find a sifu willing to train me, I wouldn't mind group classes but I learn so much faster on a personal level. It's hard to express sometimes what I'm looking for, but I don't want the typical tourists experience, I'm already somewhat exposed to chinese culture because I'm lucky to attend a very traditional school that does preformances for chinese holidays and such. I just want to submerse myself in training the mind body and soul. I'm sure people on this forum have a similar desire, and I'm lucky enough to have parents who would support me in this. If anyone can help me in anyway, I'd be extremely thankful.

Sorry for the lack of paragraphs, I don't mean to hurt your eyes.

If you have a chance to go, just go and worry about the rest later. Don't set demands on opportunity.

as pointed out.

once you go there and settle in.

you may then start to find out more about local opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by syn View Post
    Hey guys, I haven't been here in a while, and last I was here I wasn't here for long so I'll refresh your memory about me. I'm 16, a junior in high school, I've studied Hung Gar (canton) for about 3 maybe 4 years now, I also do the lion and dragon dance at my school, I'm interested in Taoism and Buddhism, I've read alot on these things, and have personal beliefs based around them and other things, but have never visited a temple for either.

My mom this summer is wanting to send me to a program in China to teach english to kids, so that I keep productive and don't sleep in the whole time. It would be in Hunan, in the city Xiaoshicun (I believe, i know it's in hunan). I've read the schedules and such and my only concern is I won't have enough free time to explore what I'm truly interested in, and will be constricted to staying with their schedule and not finding my own. I would really love to just go to china to just study martial arts, and Buddhism (I'm more interested in practicing Buddhism than Taoism as I'd like to consider myself one, but I haven't taken refuge). Of course whenever I look into google for some travel angency that fits my needs, it tends to be some big group tour where you take group classes, and learn taiji from a very basic level and only receive 1-3 classes as most of it is focused on exploring china. If any of you guys know of a place/person/organization that could really help me find a sifu willing to train me, I wouldn't mind group classes but I learn so much faster on a personal level. It's hard to express sometimes what I'm looking for, but I don't want the typical tourists experience, I'm already somewhat exposed to chinese culture because I'm lucky to attend a very traditional school that does preformances for chinese holidays and such. I just want to submerse myself in training the mind body and soul. I'm sure people on this forum have a similar desire, and I'm lucky enough to have parents who would support me in this. If anyone can help me in anyway, I'd be extremely thankful.

Sorry for the lack of paragraphs, I don't mean to hurt your eyes.
    Hello,
    I admire you very much. You can learn Hung Gar for 4 years.But you also learn
    lion and dragon dance at your school. You are great! You want to come to China during the summer holidays. You know hunan. Do you know Hebei province? I live in Hebei. Do you know? Hebei province is one of the hometown of Chinese martial art. You want to learn Martial arts. I think the summer camp is suitable for you. If you want to know summer camp detail,you can browse our website:
    http://www.chinesekungfutc.org/

Best regards for you
    ailsa

ttt for 2019!

The US government is warning Americans that if they visit China they may not be able to return home
    Benjamin Zhang 58m

The Chinese Presidential Boeing 747-400. Brendan Smialowski/Getty Images

The US State Department has issued a travel advisory urging Americans to "exercise increased caution" when traveling to the People's Republic of China.

The elevated travel advisory is out of concern that China may arbitrarily enforce local laws and detain US citizens without cause using exit bans.
    Under these exit bans, US citizens may be detained or forced to stay in China for an indefinite period of time and may be subject to harassment and interrogation.

The new China travel advisory is a level-two advisory, which urges increased caution.

Other countries or regions with a level-two advisory include Algeria, Antarctica, Belgium, France, Germany, Denmark, Myanmar, and the United Kingdom.

The US State Department has issued a travel advisory urging Americans to "exercise increased caution" when traveling to the People's Republic of China.

The State's elevated travel advisory is out of concern that China may arbitrarily enforce local laws and detain US citizens without cause.

The advisory also indicates that US-Chinese citizens or Americans of Chinese heritage are especially vulnerable to "additional scrutiny and harassment."

"Chinese authorities have asserted broad authority to prohibit US citizens from leaving China by using 'exit bans,' sometimes keeping US citizens in China for years," the State Department said in its advisory.

According to the advisory, China tends to use these exit bans in a coercive manner to "compel US citizens to participate in Chinese government investigations, to lure individuals back to China from abroad, and to aid Chinese authorities in resolving civil disputes in favor of Chinese parties."

In addition, the State Department warns that Americans only find out about these exit bans when they try to leave China and without knowledge of how long the ban will last.

The advisory also explains that Americans affected by exit bans have been "harassed and threatened" by authorities.

"US citizens may be detained without access to US consular services or information about their alleged crime," the State Department said. "US citizens may be subjected to prolonged interrogations and extended detention for reasons related to "state security."

"Security personnel may detain and/or deport US citizens for sending private electronic messages critical of the Chinese government," the agency added.

The new China travel advisory is a level two advisory which urges increased caution. A level one advisory suggests travelers "exercise normal precautions" while a level three advisory urges Americans to "reconsider travel." A level four advises Americans to avoid traveling to a particular country.

Other countries or regions with a level two advisory include Algeria, Burma, Antarctica, Belgium, France, Germany, Denmark, and the United Kingdom.
    Drawing those lines in the sand...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yep, Gene is right. Currently, American and Canadian might be detained in China without being charged for an indefinite length of time.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

It's not me, SteveLau

I was just cut&pasting a news story from Business Insider. Here's another one.

Do you know anyone personally who has been affected by this? I haven't heard of any within my circle yet, and I know a lot of PRC travelers.

China responds to US travel advisory, saying it 'cannot stand up to scrutiny'
    Associated Press Jan. 4, 2019, 6:14 PM

Foster + Partners

China on Friday rebutted a US travel advisory that urges American nationals to "exercise increased caution" when travelling in the Communist Party-ruled country.

The advisory, which warns of the potential for arbitrary detentions, "cannot stand up to scrutiny," said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang, who noted that 2.3 million Americans visited China between January and November 2018.

An updated US State Department notice warns that China sometimes arbitrarily detains U.S. citizens or prevents them from leaving the country.

The notice says the "exit bans" are imposed to compel Americans to facilitate government investigations or resolve business disputes. US citizens of Chinese heritage may be subject to additional scrutiny, it adds.

BEIJING (AP) — China on Friday rebutted a US travel advisory that urges American nationals to "exercise increased caution" when travelling in the Communist Party-ruled country.

The advisory, which warns of the potential for arbitrary detentions, "cannot stand up to scrutiny," said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang, who noted that 2.3 million Americans visited China between January and November 2018.

"I think this figure speaks volumes for the security condition in China," Lu said, adding that it far outnumbers the number of Chinese people visiting the US. "The US, however, has recently used various excuses to conduct gratuitous inspections and create obstacles for Chinese citizens entering the US."

The spokesman did not mention specific instances in which Chinese citizens encountered difficulty entering the US. An American official told the AP last May that Chinese graduate students studying in fields like robotics and aviation in the US would be limited to one-year visas, while Chinese citizens seeking visas to work for companies on a US Commerce Department list would need special clearance.

An updated US State Department notice warns that China sometimes arbitrarily detains US citizens or prevents them from leaving the country. The notice says the "exit bans" are imposed to compel Americans to facilitate government investigations or resolve business disputes. US citizens of Chinese heritage may be subject to additional scrutiny, it adds.

"US citizens may be subjected to prolonged interrogations and extended detention for reasons related to 'state security,'" the advisory says. "Security personnel may detain and/or deport US citizens for sending private electronic messages critical of the Chinese government."

The notice is largely the same as one released a year ago, with the addition of a paragraph noting security checks and increased police presence in the Xinjiang and Tibet regions.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

take your time!

Hey mate take your time you don't have to rush, try to keep the focus on your main purpose, and then if you have some spare time just book your ride from Get Tranfer Coupons and explore the city as much as you can.

Oooooh spam!

How refreshing?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips