Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Shi Deyangs school...?

Question about Shi Deyangs school...?

HI all, im new to the forums, and sorry if this has been posted up before, but has anyone ever trained at Shi Deyangs school? If so could you give me more information on training there, I already have his website and I'm just asking for some more details.
    http://www.shaolindeyang.com/english...RAINING%20PLAN

Thanks

peace~

amituofo! thank you for your interest. i'll try to answer any question you may have.

the school is run by a number of coaches, as master shi deyang is often very busy and frequently travels out of china. the coaches are mostly personal disciples of his and have been training with him for years. however, like master shi deyang, none of them really speak english. but thats a minor detail.

its advised to stay in a nearby hotel and eat outside. otherwise if you choose to live in the school the conditions are very poor. hard wood bed, ditch in the ground for toilet, and the food may not suit your bodys bacteria well, and doesnt come with water. you can buy a bottle. but if you're really hardcore, its up to you.

there are also different classes you can choose from. you can learn traditional shaolin wushu, modern wushu, qigong, sanda, and chan buddhism. however, in any case you'll be thrown in with the rest of the chinese students.

the school really cant accommodate western comforts like some other schools in dengfeng. but the training is top.

there are six training periods per day each an hour and 10 mins long, most with only 20 mins break in between. here is the schedule:

morning:
    5:00am; wake up
    5:20- 6:30; morning session (very intense conditioning)
    6:50am; breakfast

8:00am; warm-up
    8:20- 9:30; session 1 (stretching, forms and whatnot)
    9:50- 11:00; session 2
    11:20am; lunch
    11:55am; noon break

afternoon:
    3:00pm; warm up
    3:20- 4:30; session 1
    4:50- 6:00; session 2
    6:20; supper

evening:
    7:00pm; warm up
    7:20- 8:30; evening session

sleep by 9:00pm.

Oh this is great LFJ thanks alot.

By any chance would you know how far the distance is from the regular hotel to his school?

Amituofo

there is a hotel called "wudu dajiudian" up the street from the school. a busline goes straight in front of it. 1 yuan will get you there in no time. walking takes about 10mins, or more depending on your speed.

the only thing is, pricing for the school is set. whether you stay in the hotel and eat outside, or train, sleep, and eat in the school. the price is set. but if you choose comfort and good food, the hotel is nice and there are restaurants and small convenience stores nearby. very cheap. there's one store right across from the school where we sometimes buy special snacks.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    amituofo! thank you for your interest. i'll try to answer any question you may have.

the school is run by a number of coaches, as master shi deyang is often very busy and frequently travels out of china. the coaches are mostly personal disciples of his and have been training with him for years. however, like master shi deyang, none of them really speak english. but thats a minor detail.

its advised to stay in a nearby hotel and eat outside. otherwise if you choose to live in the school the conditions are very poor. hard wood bed, ditch in the ground for toilet, and the food may not suit your bodys bacteria well, and doesnt come with water. you can buy a bottle. but if you're really hardcore, its up to you.

there are also different classes you can choose from. you can learn traditional shaolin wushu, modern wushu, qigong, sanda, and chan buddhism. however, in any case you'll be thrown in with the rest of the chinese students.

the school really cant accommodate western comforts like some other schools in dengfeng. but the training is top.

there are six training periods per day each an hour and 10 mins long, most with only 20 mins break in between. here is the schedule:

morning:
    5:00am; wake up
    5:20- 6:30; morning session (very intense conditioning)
    6:50am; breakfast

8:00am; warm-up
    8:20- 9:30; session 1 (stretching, forms and whatnot)
    9:50- 11:00; session 2
    11:20am; lunch
    11:55am; noon break

afternoon:
    3:00pm; warm up
    3:20- 4:30; session 1
    4:50- 6:00; session 2
    6:20; supper

evening:
    7:00pm; warm up
    7:20- 8:30; evening session

sleep by 9:00pm.
    man this makes me wanna go back to china and train
    maybe when i graduate from college...i will take me a 2-3 month vacation n go to deng feng n practice for a month.......

and what will you do for the other month or two?

Quote Originally Posted by Pk_StyLeZ View Post
    man this makes me wanna go back to china and train
    maybe when i graduate from college...i will take me a 2-3 month vacation n go to deng feng n practice for a month.......
    That is what I am thinking about. I have never been to China, but I graduate college in about a year, and I was thinking of taking a vacation there, see a few sites, then head to Henan and train my balls off for a couple months. It would be a humbling experience to be surrounded by so many people with a common goal. I of course need to get in much better shape before I attempt something like that.

the daily morning conditioning usually consists of running to the nearby park where we run to the top of the mountain up the side steps. then run down the other side. hop back up. crawl down on the hands. hop back up on one foot, and so on. its very intense.

the photos are attached. the one showing the steps is only about half of it. there's a bunch of steps then a level surface before more steps.

then there's another mountain that just has straight steps all the way to the top which takes the entire training session just to make it to the top and run back to the school. no crawling and all that. but its tough enough!

this is all before breakfast and before the other 5 training periods to follow on the same day.

Wow these are great responses. Anyways I finish college in the next semester which is like 2 classes left (waste of time) lol. And I'm only 20 which is awesome so im still really young. Ive been to China before when I was like 15, but I was training at a Modern wushu school in Zhejiang. So im looking for a more serious school and this seems to be it, Plus Shi Deyang is great! lol

OO and I think I might try going all out roughing it in the school, and see how it goes and decide from there
    Amituofo~

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    the daily morning conditioning usually consists of running to the nearby park where we run to the top of the mountain up the side steps. then run down the other side. hop back up. crawl down on the hands. hop back up on one foot, and so on. its very intense.

the photos are attached. the one showing the steps is only about half of it. there's a bunch of steps then a level surface before more steps.

then there's another mountain that just has straight steps all the way to the top which takes the entire training session just to make it to the top and run back to the school. no crawling and all that. but its tough enough!

this is all before breakfast and before the other 5 training periods to follow on the same day.
    Oh wow, LFJ your pictures are great, it'd be cool to see some more. Will you post up some more, or do you have a website with them all posted up?

peace~
    Amituofo~

haha opps i mena take a trip there for 2-3 months and probably train all that time..well prob take a week or two for sight seeing.....
    i trained at china for a week before bak in 2003 i believe....it wasnt anythin as intense u listed...mainly form learning for a week..but still intense...but didnt get any conditioning out of it
    i wanat to actually wake up early and run the mountain and etc

LFJ u train at shi de yang right now or someting?

shaolin87-

those actually werent my pictures. i was google searching one day for some shaolin temple photos and came across these two. but i recognized the place and saved the pictures. this is one of the main places we run to for the morning training, the mountain at this park. you'll also see many other schools training out there at the same time, taking advantage of the many stairs. its just 1min run up the street from the school.

roughing it in the school is not a bad idea, but i'm letting you know its not for the faint of heart. master deyang had to move schools a number of time because the government "needed the land". and now the conditions are very poor. imagine, the toilet area is just a ditch dug into the ground which gets cleaned out once a week. when the air blows across the training yard... you run faster to the other end. lol. some can handle it. others prefer western comforts of the hotel. the food is mainly bread buns, various vegetables and noodles, and sometimes you get something special like eggs and some meat. dont expect sanitation though. well, you may know.. even restaurants in northern china have a reputation for not being very cleanly.

pk_stylez-

at master shi deyang's school, no one gets cut any slack. foreigners are tossed in with the rest of the chinese students. so even if you train just one day, you'll experience the intense work-out.

i'm not in china now, but will return soon. my study is with master deyang whenever he comes back to china. many times each year he is travelling mostly in europe. but still, it being my shifu's school i try to help others interested with information and in getting there. and to help him in spreading his genuine teachings.

Nice! its a total go now, yea Im gonna try my best to rough it, and I had some pretty bad memories from northern China facilities like the toilet situation and all always gets me cracking up
    Amituofo~

sounds good. i hope you enjoy your experience there! when the time comes i may be able to assist you in contacting them and arranging pick-up if you need. btw, the reason i brought up the toilet issue is because its not even like the average chinese hole-in-the-ground "toilet". its literally a ditch in the ground, with a pile here, a pile there. its usually a first for most people. lol, but understanding the situation and the lives of those children there really helps appreciate those comforts in the west you dont even think twice about. many of the kids are from orphanages too- training for free of course. so your tuition helps them a lot! at least they get to eat.