Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar

Quote Originally Posted by eomonroe00 View Post
    can anyone recomend a few good hung gar schools in the new york queens area, all i have heard of is sifu yee, thanks
    http://newyorkhungga.com/

They are Sifu Yee disciples as well.

while the New York Hung Ga is lineaged to the Yee Organization they offer a much more diverse curiculum.

Classical Hung Ga
    San shou/San Da Sport Fighting
    Real World Self Defense utilizing Classical Techniques
    A Stand Along Qi Gong Program that delves deeply into both the Hard and Softer Skills.

They have a full time TCM Clinic which also lends it self the the advanced level understanding of Qi Development & Manipulation as well as Physiology pertaining to the Techniques especially in the field of Dim Mak, etc.

Not you average cookie cutter school. Actually it was this school that forumulated much of what is now standard teaching format for most of the Yee's Schools.

oh forgot to mention.

For a very Traditional School I'd recommend also Wan chi Ming's school. A very cultural and family based school. Also of the Tang Fung Lineage through Chan Tai Hing.

Doesn't Ho Lap tin lineage also have a school in the NYC/NJ region?

Okay just got a recent update on the Curriculum of the Yee's Organization.

What I said about the Chelsea school being the source of the teaching format is now outdated.

Back in the early 90's a group of instructors at the Yee's Headquarters got together to format a structured Teaching Sylabus under the guidance of Sifu Yee. Very successful I might add.

When the main school on Grand STreet shut down there was a growth spurt of new schools opening. The Chelsea Branch supplied copies of their Teaching Format to the instructors of most of the other schools to use.

Now that there is a International Organization headed by my sihing Pedro Cepero. He was given the task to formulate a new standard teaching format for all of the federations branches.

nice and clear now

I too, have been wondering who Li Sai Wing is.

Greetings all. I too have been wondering who Li Sai Wing is, so I am glad to add to the conversation. Unfortuantely, I cannot shed more light on the person in question, but feel the need to respond to this discussion because unlike the other contributors I descend from a CKKA school.

The only person that I know of who may have met Li Sai Wing is Chong Oi Mun. At this time I will also state that I have never met Chong. But according to the CKKA website Chong met Li when he was still living in China, so I think it is possible that no one in Canada or the U.S would have met him. It is possible that Li was just simply a student amongst the thousands that trained under Lam Sai Wing. According to CKKA, Li left his Hung Gar training for whatever his reasons were. Who knows what the circumstances were between Li Sai Wing and Chong Oi Mun, how they met and where they trained etc. There are thousands of people practicing kung fu who are good martial artists and and hardly anyone knows their name or who they are. Also, it is quite possible that Li simply died without having the chance to leave much of a martial arts legacy. As well, and I may have my timeline mixed up, but isn't this around the same period when kung fu was being suppressed in China?

There is definitely a connection between the kung fu practiced by CKKA members and karate. A look at CKKA schools found online shows this. The connection is easy to explain and can be found on the CKKA website. According to the website Chong Oi Mun had a partner in founding the CKKA; someone who practiced and taught karate. Students of the association had access to both martial artists. The website also states that because of problems associated with triads etc, the karate aspect of the club was more visible. As well, during that period of martials arts in North America, karate was much more widely known and practiced than kung fu, hence the number of karate schools connected to Chong Oi Mun.

I have been practicing and studying the kung fu from this lineage for over twenty years, while living in both Canada and the U.S. People who train in the Korean, Japanese and Chinese martial arts have seen the forms from this lineage, and no one, absolutley no one, has ever told me that what I am practicing is karate. If this were so, this would have happened by now.

The kung fu from this lineage may not be as well known as other styles but I feel it is legitimate. I am not as concerned about how well known it's lineage is as I am about plumbing its depths for all it has to offer. I think I could practice for another twenty years and still have far to go. That's all for now. I hope those who have posted previously will see this and respond.

The Red Headed Step Child of CKKA,

Hung Wei Lo

Hung Ga Weapons Training

Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

7. If I ever move back to upstate NY, I want him to be my sifu, if he'll accept me. Heck, I might drive a bit for a lesson next time I visit family in Windham.

8. Thought this fit's, if I'm highjacking sorry.
    I don't think Wong Fei Hung can be his SiGung.
    http://www.kungfuokc.com/school_website_2_001.htm

Another great vid!
    A unique snowflake

Thanks for posting all these video

cheers Diego

I originally hadn't intended to put up some much at once but I needed somthing kung fu related to keep me busy the last few weeks while I healed.

These are just a good start, this summer is gonna be crazy, just wait
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian Tofu M View Post
    I don't think Wong Fei Hung can be his SiGung.
    ...why not...?

WFH passed in 1924. It's possible in the timeline that WFH could have had such a student.

14. I'll do more research, before I open my mouth next time. Insert foot in mouth, sorry.

Need Hung Gar Historical Info

Hey all!

I am working on an ebook on Hung Gar. The book will be given out free of charge, so this has nothing to do with personal gain. This has turned into a much larger and longer term project than I had initially anticipated. Right now I am looking to make sure than no one is slighted. Of course, this is nearly impossible, but I am in real need of reliable information on Tang Fong and Lau Kar Lung. I think I have done a reasonably good job in treating the other lineages accurately, but my sections on these two are pretty short, and really want to do them justice.

Any help will be properly credited and deeply appreciated!
    Wallace Smedley

Hung Gar
    www.sifuatlarge.wordpress.com