Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    well.....some TF schools like to refer to their HG as "orthodox," and LSW as "Modified."
    Similar to how some WC schools like to refer to themselves as "traditional," and others as..um, not.

when it comes down to it, it's just marketing, and personal pride.
    Not important in the grand scheme of things, just important enough to create bickering.

The best thing is to realize that all Hung-Ga is one family. Enjoy the differences, keep an open mind.
    Well said as the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    well.....some TF schools like to refer to their HG as "orthodox," and LSW as "Modified."
    Similar to how some WC schools like to refer to themselves as "traditional," and others as..um, not.

when it comes down to it, it's just marketing, and personal pride.
    Not important in the grand scheme of things, just important enough to create bickering.

The best thing is to realize that all Hung-Ga is one family. Enjoy the differences, keep an open mind.
    well said, TT!
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Hung Gar Performance (AKA: This guy really curses with his hands)

Greetings,

I do not know if this was posted before. The performer has great intention. If each was done in one take, then I am very impressed. I never knew Hung Gar forms were this long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzu1o...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP-ac...eature=related

Enjoy!

mickey

If they were done in one take, then the camera angle wouldn't change so much. Frankly, it looks to me like they played with the video speed as well.
    It's a shame people with good kung fu can't be happy with what they have, but need to pretend it's off the charts.

Blog Entries
    1st gut reaction of course is there is NO need for sound effects.

2nd, and this is just a theory.... this dude looks and moves like one of the MANY layman martial (some just touring doing shows) monks.

or like Gene once said to me back in 98'... "At any time Shaolin and the immediate surrounding area will have about 10,000 martial students all training in some way, shape or form" (something to that effect) = Well what I mean is, he looks like a product of all that hard work but someone has taught him some Hung.

Now, I would not dare to do a common Wing Chun arguing tatic IE...
    if your WC doesn't look like mine then it's not real WC. (I give Sanjuro credit for that)

I can't say it's not Hung Gar forms, because they are basically and "To each his own I say". The 1st vid being Gung Gee... and the second Fu Hok...

All I needed to see was the opening salute moves and I kinda already know where he got his stuff from. Not all Hung's do those begining moves that way.

Technically speaking,
    -It's a common misconception that Hung utilizes low and wide stances all the time. But what isn't or shouldn't be ignored is smooth and solid transition of the footwork, these should never be compromised just for the sake of being (or looking) very fast. I can move that fast easy...but my focus would be off.

- I think all the guys who actually study Hung (At least the traditional orthodox ones) will agree with me that the focus of his bridges was too rushed.

- Lastly, I cannot get past the wushu pacing PLUS so many other things...
    Just my opinion only.
    Last edited by Subitai; 12-15-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    If they were done in one take, then the camera angle wouldn't change so much. Frankly, it looks to me like they played with the video speed as well.
    It's a shame people with good kung fu can't be happy with what they have, but need to pretend it's off the charts.
    Yeah. All the special effects are just goofy and really prevent me from taking the video seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post

- I think all the guys who actually study Hung (At least the traditional orthodox ones) will agree with me that the focus of his bridges was too rushed.

- Lastly, I cannot get past the wushu pacing PLUS so many other things...
    Just my opinion only.
    It's sped up.

As far as sound effects...I watched it without sound the first time. Frickin' hilarious with sound.

hung kuen sets played with wushu flavour...like a nan quan form

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Yes some of the Hung forms are pretty long.
    Also these were not shot in one take. If you watch the background you see something don't match up. I think the speed on the camera might have been adjusted, can't really tell.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Mickey... that form impressed you? may I was why other than the length? as others have said it wasnt really a form it was a cut and cropped speeded up part of a movie dragons of the orient
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

wushufied hung kuen.
    bodybuilding jings as opposed to correct jings.

sounds can be used to vibrate internally, but this guy was just making noise.

set one was gung gee fook fu kuen, set two was fu hok seurng ying kuen

you can play them like that if you desire, but by my reckoning and having seen some very excellent renditions of these moving concepts this is not a great demonstration of the style.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

EarthDragon,

I really like the guy's intention. He has a sense of the opponent. I have seen people move without purpose TOO MANY TIMES. As to the forms themselves, I do not know them to comment on them.

I did notice the different camera angles. I assumed that there was more that one camera working.

mickey

@ o

Come on now, bro. I have a fond memory of you and I watched a noted HG master's vid where he added sound effects in his applications, including the classic spine crackle when he did a neck break. And we loved it.

or like Gene once said to me back in 98'... "At any time Shaolin and the immediate surrounding area will have about 10,000 martial students all training in some way, shape or form" (something to that effect) = Well what I mean is, he looks like a product of all that hard work but someone has taught him some Hung.
    Something to that effect? For the record, as of our last Shaolin Special, the population of full-time martial arts students in the Dengfeng area near to Shaolin is 60,000.

P.S. I'm moving this to the southern forum.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    very realistic video game.
    Strong horse.
    Elbows indicate that it is an accomplished athlete performing a form as he was taught.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.