Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar

The two people who can aid you most in your search for info on the Lau family are Lau Kar Bo or contact SiFu Mark Ho in Hong Kong

Lau Jam

Lau Gar Leung

Mark Ho (Mark Houghton (sic?))

Lau Kar Bo (Franky Lau)

I believe the above lineage to be it that order. A web search will bring up web site for that above.

Hope that helps at least point you in the right direction
    Kune Belay Sau

hung kuen application

another clip with Sifu Mark Ho...

here u can see the common techniques of most southern styles
    gwa choi.cup choi,pow choi...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLNRI2zisqY

Always good to see clips from your camp

Quote Originally Posted by Laukarbo View Post
    another clip with Sifu Mark Ho...

here u can see the common techniques of most southern styles
    gwa choi.cup choi,pow choi...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLNRI2zisqY
    If wasn't for the fact that I know he his Hung Gar I would have thought he was explaining Pak hok Pai

Regards

yes thats true but you know the pak hok influence we have in hung fist so this shouldnt be a surprise...

Hung Gar 101

Having been referred here (from the general forum), my question is:

Hung Gar: What's it like (from a tactics, training and strategy point of view)?

How to the 5 Animals factor in? The Five Elements?

For Kyokushin practitioners, like myself, Hung Gar has often been pointed out as the Chinese Kyokushin ("Hardest Karate" => "Hardest Kung Fu").

Secondly, as I'm interested in learning:

If you had to pick 5 Hung Gar instructors in the United States (to include Hawaii) to learn from, who would you pick (and where are they based)?

Keep in mind that I am next to clueless on TMCA in general.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

i think its incorrect to call hung gar the hardest style. i have always been told (and i welcome any correction) hung gar starts off hard but works toward the "soft" or subtle side. all tcma have a hard and a soft side otherwise they wouldn't be balanced. but as for hung ga instructors in the u.s. i would pick in no particular order:

1. sifu sharif bey- Brooklyn (i think), NY (Yee's Hung ga)
    2. sifu pedro yee- clifton, NJ (Yee's Hung Ga)
    3. sifu wing lam- somewhere in ca i think

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Dragon View Post
    Having been referred here (from the general forum), my question is:

Hung Gar: What's it like (from a tactics, training and strategy point of view)?

How to the 5 Animals factor in? The Five Elements?

For Kyokushin practitioners, like myself, Hung Gar has often been pointed out as the Chinese Kyokushin ("Hardest Karate" => "Hardest Kung Fu").

Secondly, as I'm interested in learning:

If you had to pick 5 Hung Gar instructors in the United States (to include Hawaii) to learn from, who would you pick (and where are they based)?

Keep in mind that I am next to clueless on TMCA in general.
    My Hung kuen training has complimented my kyokushin very nicely.
    Both are systems that focus on core and basics, can never go wrong that way.
    There are advanced principles in Hung Gar that are "missing" in Kyokushin, so there is that advantage too, though taiji may be a better "finisher" for kyokushin.

Probably be better to give some indication where you live rather than ask for 5 teachers all over the states.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    not all Hung-Ga teachers are the same, and don't interpet Hung-Ga the same. Whereas some are very aggressive, attack oriented, many seem to have regressed into the block, block, block then strike tactic-which IMHO is not the way Hung-Ga was intended to be played. Too many schools have gotten away from why Hung-Ga was developed and now lean towards collecting forms, point tournaments, and pontificating on the concepts.

Like with any martial arts teacher-check out the school first. Many well-known teachers have reps built on magazine articles, tournament trophies, and great press, and actually have no substance. The only way to really know is to find out yourself. Make sure that they are not teaching kickboxing and calling it Hung-Ga. Even though a kick is a kick and a punch is a punch, there should be certain techniques and methodologies that are consistant with the style. Otherwise you can just keep doing what youre doing and buy some dvd's, right?

The above mentioned are all quality teachers. I would also add YC WOng in SF, Bill Fong in Statan Island,Franciso Rivera in New Mexico, Cheung Shu-Pui in Philly, if you are on or near Long Island, feel free to check us out as well. If you have any questions about the Five Animals, Five Elements, or theories,tactics, etc, you can e-mail or PM me.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 06-16-2008 at 07:56 AM.

Don't forget Grandmaster John S.S. Leong in Seattle!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    most definately! Still a big inspiration to me. I bought his book when it first came out, and now I order them from him directly for my students.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    most definately! Still a big inspiration to me. I bought his book when it first came out, and now I order them from him directly for my students.
    Books?
    I do believe that my collection is lacking in the decent Hung ga/r/kuen books.
    *hint, hint*
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I'm not sure Wing Lam Sifu is teaching still, might be wrong though.

On the West coast(where I am located) the Sifu's I would recommend are.

Buck Sam Kong- LA

Y.C. Wong- SF

John Leong- Seattle

On the East Coast I've heard good things about the Yee's branches. Especially Sharif Bey's school.

Also I would check out Sifu Rik Kellerman's kwoon out as well.

I would have to agree with Ten's assesment of the Hung style.
    Each Sifu I have seen has different teaching styles and different flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    i think its incorrect to call hung gar the hardest style. i have always been told (and i welcome any correction) hung gar starts off hard but works toward the "soft" or subtle side. all tcma have a hard and a soft side otherwise they wouldn't be balanced. but as for hung ga instructors in the u.s. i would pick in no particular order:

1. sifu sharif bey- Brooklyn (i think), NY (Yee's Hung ga)
    2. sifu pedro yee- clifton, NJ (Yee's Hung Ga)
    3. sifu wing lam- somewhere in ca i think
    Note: by "hardest", I meant "toughest", not a reflection of the mechanical aspects. This is, of course, subjective. It's just how Hung Gar is often described in the Karate community.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?