Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Dragon View Post
    Note: by "hardest", I meant "toughest", not a reflection of the mechanical aspects. This is, of course, subjective. It's just how Hung Gar is often described in the Karate community.
    Hardest in terms of training, but not necessarily in terms of contact, where I think very few CMA's measure up to Kyokushin's exacting standards...

Other than that - I second and third everything else that TT and banditshaw said.
    __
    "What is the sound of one hand clawing???" -- chanh buddhist proverb

i don't know either whether sifu wing lam still teaches i have just heard that he runs a good school. i can't believe i forgot to put yc wong on that short list. i have heard that is a really good school as well.

I'll add Tony Brown here in Columbus, Ohio to the instructor list

YC Wong has to be the top of the list here....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    YC Wong has to be the top of the list here....
    No doubt, if there was one, it would be him.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Hung Gar

Hung Gar as taught to me buy Grandmaster Ark Y.Wong was my favorite style. I learned several sets from him. Being a young big strong guy,he said it would be best that I learn it first. I enjoyed his method of teaching.

Jim Anestasi

Sifu Wing Lam is still teaching but does not have a public school.
    He accepts private students and continues to teach his senior students.

I carry on his Hung Gar teaching at a Shaolin school in Cupertino.

In Massachusetts, the Lam Jo lineage is represented via the following Sifu (in no particular order):

1) Winchell Woo - Boston;

2) Calvin Chin - Newton Highlands;

3) Yon Lee - Quincy @ Harvard University.

All of the mo kwoon are within about 20 - 30 minutes of each other.

On the West Coast, Kong Buck Sam Sifu's students are also representing the Lam Gar Hung Kuen (in no particular order):

-Vernon Rieta, Sifu (CA);

-Donald Hamby, Sifu (CA);

-Eddie Lane, Sifu (WA);

-Fred Lee, Sifu (CA);

-Don Morrison, Sifu (OK);

-Seng Jeorng Au, Sifu (HI).

i heard good things about chiu chi ling

Thanks for the info, guys. I appreciate it.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

It's from a movie, but is this clip a good representation of the Hung Gar katas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcNclS-ad0Y
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Yeah I would have to say that they are fine examples. Plus the way they were shot on the soundstage adds some ooomph as well.

Just came in here to lurk. Don't post much any more these days but this thread gave me a little lump in my throat. Makes me feel pretty good to see so many people put YC Wong, my Sifu, on their short list. I spent 8 years with him. I may have moved on to Baji and Taiji but I have learned recently that when the **** hits the fan, I still tend to fall back on my Hung Gar. Just really **** solid basic fighting. It gets pretty subtle after a while but doesn't everything?

And also, yes, this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcNclS-ad0Y ...is pretty **** good. That's what's so cool about the Shaw Brother's stuff from that era. They used to showcase some real ****. The first section of that video contains the longest and most accurate film portrayal of a Hung Gar form I have ever seen. He's doing gong ji, one of the 4 "pillars" of Hung Gar. Gong Ji, Fu Hok, Sup Yin and Tid Sien.

Also, as long as everyone agrees that YC Wong has to be on your short list, check out his site to answer your original question. He lays down a pretty good breakdown of the sets here: http://www.tigercrane.com/hghf.html Look especially at the description of Sup Ying Kuen (Ten Form Fist) for your question regarding how the animals and the elements work into things.

Hung ga Training

Just wandering if the guys in hung ga use weight training?Or do they use there iron wire training to develop their arms and forearms?