Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar

Hung is a long and deep river with many tributaries.

Some schools have only what are referred to as the pillar sets, other schools have much more supplimental materials as well as forms and each school, each practitioner expresses these in a different way.

essence is there, sameness is not.

the pillars are generally recognized as:

Gung ji fook fu kuen (tame the tiger)
    Fu hok seung ying kuen (tiger/crane)
    Sap Ying Kuen or Ng Ying Kuen (10 shapes or 5 animals some schools use one or the other as a pillar set)
    Tid sen Kuen (Iron thread)

Other sets such as 2 man matching sets, and other entirely different sets will be inside the system depending on who your teacher is. I think it is gung ji fook fu kuen that is consistently recognized as containing the oldest material directly related to the tiger style drawn from the shaolin temple of old.

It's worth reading the material posted as links here though so as to get an understanding of just how deep and how long the style is.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

An older site but peep the link.

http://hungkuen.net/forms.htm

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

Bread & Butter techniques for Hung-Ga Fighting

If you were going to narrow it down to a handful of basic techniques/strikes to get a student up and running, able to basically fight (not competitively) What would your list be?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    If you were going to narrow it down to a handful of basic techniques/strikes to get a student up and running, able to basically fight (not competitively) What would your list be?
    does anyone ever need more than the typical jab, cross, hook, uppercut and backfist for fists.
    front, side, round back and stomp for kicks?
    Knees and elbows for good measure?
    head control?
    sweeps and basic throws/trips?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    does anyone ever need more than the typical jab, cross, hook, uppercut and backfist for fists.
    head control?
    Basics are basics, but what additionally would be considered Hung Gar bread and butter tech's. Example for me:

I like to use forearm blocks to attack the limb, but bridge onto them with Tiger Claws afterward.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    head control?
    yeah, but that's not what the topic really is. Sure you can argue (justify) that those techniques are within the system, and frankly, I don't want to get into a debate, back and forth about it.
    The question is specifically referring to what Hung-Ga people would deem "standard, typical of the system, Hung-Ga techniques" you get the idea.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Tiger descends mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    Tiger descends mountain
    and...? just one technique? What strikes? Which kicks?
    You are teaching Hung-Ga Fighting 101. What is your syllabus?
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    what Hung-Ga people would deem "standard, typical of the system, Hung-Ga techniques" ...
    Why not just look at this from a different angle? What bread and butter techniques that you will need in combat? Where can you get such techniques?

I just don't think "style boundary" techniques is a good way for TCMA discussion. If we look at from a style point of view, we may be restricted by the style founder's knowledge. In the 21th centry, we can get more information than any of our ancient style founder could.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-05-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Why not just look at this from a different angle? What bread and butter techniques that you will need in combat? Where can you get such techniques?

I just don't think "style boundary" techniques is a good way for TCMA discussion. If we look at from a style point of view, we may be restricted by the style founder's knowledge. In the 21th centry, we can get more information than any of our ancient style founder could.
    that's fine, but not for this thread please, as this is a very "style specific" topic.
    You want to go in that direction, fine. Create another thread.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

elbow strikes seem to be favourable, also straight punches short sharp hooks to the guts and ball kicks.

not enough can be said for ball kicks.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho;1111894I
    just don't think "style boundary" techniques is a good way for TCMA discussion. If we look at from a style point of view, we may be restricted by the style founder's knowledge. In the 21th centry, we can get more information than any of our ancient style founder could.
    I have trained eclectically in several styles but, when I am fighting or playing Hung Kuen.... I stick to Hung kuen techniques. There are plenty of various techniques in Hung Gar that there is no need to go "Outside" to find any better stuff.

I like to use forearm blocks to bridge and move in with Double Tiger Claws:

Start left to left Guard. Attacker throw a right cross.

I block with a right inside Forearm Block and come under with my left Tiger Claw to grab his right arm.

My right forearm immediately bounces off his arm and claws forward at attackers face. It contiues towards attackers left side picking up his left punch (If he he coming with his left).

My left Tiger claw releases his punch and moves to his throat. Now if there is no left hand to contend with I move my right hand to behind lower back and smack his kidney (just to help buckle his spine a bit).

Then, depending on what leg is in front, I will step behind him for a Chopping type throw and take him down to the ground. Hopefully submitting him out in the mean while.

ginosifu

Another method using forearm blocks to bridge then enter:

Start left to left guard stance.

Attacker throws a rear right round kick. (low high does not matter)

I usually step forward into horse (stepping and positioning will depend on where you are) and double forearn block the incoming round kick.

Immediately swing my right arm diagonally up and towards his face (forcing him to block maybe???). If he blocks I grab his block with my right Tiger Claw and pull it across his body to my right.

Now I swing a left hammer fist at his head and if he blocks that I immediatelly grab it with my left Tiger Claw.

I release my right Tiger Claw and go for the throat. Also taking my left hand and smacking his lower back again to help arch his back a bit.

Then step in for a take down and submission.

ginosifu

Blog Entries
    Hey Ten! You want me to share those for free???
    Set up a seminar date and make it worth my while.
    I'll show up and share my entry methods...primary and secondary.

It's just like Tone Loc said:

I need $50 to make you holler I get paid to do the wild thing"

Jokes aside, i'm all serious when it comes to applying Hung Kuen man.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

yeah, but that's not what the topic really is. Sure you can argue (justify) that those techniques are within the system, and frankly, I don't want to get into a debate, back and forth about it.
    The question is specifically referring to what Hung-Ga people would deem "standard, typical of the system, Hung-Ga techniques" you get the idea.
    Yeah, well you aren't going to get some silly terminology from me, you know how I am about that.
    We both been around the block TOO MUCH to say that there is anything that unique in the CORE of HK, at least in regards to your original question.
    That is why, when in action, HK looks like "typical KB" but also has a hint of "something else".

Whether you wanna call a straight punch a "reverse punch" or "heart piercing punch" or "rams head punch", doesn't change what it is.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !