Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar

Oh no, I think I know these guys, they still have to go looong way before it is any good. But I heard they are training hard, so we will see :-)
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    Oh no, I think I know these guys, they still have to go looong way before it is any good. But I heard they are training hard, so we will see :-)
    no need to be humble about your guys they are doing great....

Thank you brother!

I personally think there are two roads to go - either to the museum (and extinction), or 21st century (full contact fighting, reality-based self-defense)! We have many examples to follow, and many similar open-minded persons who see it in the same light, so i sincerely hope for a TCMA revival!
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

My Goal In Life Is To Be A Better Person Today Than I Was Yesterday. Martial Art Is One Of The Tools I Use To Achieve This.

The Equation For Good Kung Fu Is Based On Four Simple Principles Breathing, Relaxation, Continues Movement, Structure. Working Them Under Pressure Is What Good Kung Fu Training Is About.

You Have To Breath To Relax, You Have To Relax To Move, You Have To Move To Keep Structure

My Video Page
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dcrjradmonish

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrjradmonish View Post
    That is quite unfortunate for Sharif. But I still have respect for him and the good he does in his community.

What sucks is how the world (the uneducated armchair judging world) will judge him by this one video.

The fact is...what happened to him could happen to anybody or "any style".

The poster of that video callously wrote:
    MMA fighter knockout hung gar master sharif bey in fight! This Kung Fu Master is the best example of the "classical mess" that Bruce Lee was railing against. Typical of most traditional Kung Fu styles that cannot grasp the "real" dynamics of combat whether for sport or the street.

Sorry to get on a soap box but this is a very passionate subject for me:
    Which is why my 2nd quote on the bottom of all my posts has been a Similar Topic for me since Kung Fu Magazine bought the name list from "Rec.Martial arts" (feels like more than 10 yrs ago)

- I have been an outspoken person for HG and any other (traditional Style) that needs to address the issues of modern fighting and how to blend with TMA.

- Having done MMA, Traditional Kung Fu and a good share of street fights: I believe I have a strong knowledge on to bridge the gap (Pun intended) between them all.

- I know how to do it and it works.

Mabe now, more people will listen.

MASS Props to sharif for steppin' out...
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

You either win, or you learn. No shame in getting knocked-out, happened to us all - and if it never happened to YOU, you were never fighting.
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    we don't really know the back story that led to this.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I agree with "O" on this.
    He got popped on the button and that can happen to anyone.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

While I agree that on any given day anyone can have his ass handed to them ( been there done it and had it done to me), I don't understand what he thought he was doing there a few times...
    High chin, arms out, open, I am surprised He didn't get clipped just for those cardinal sins.
    As for getting hit when trying to get up, what happens just showed his lack of experience in that situation, that's all.
    I am sure he learned His lesson and it won't happen again.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    While I agree that on any given day anyone can have his ass handed to them ( been there done it and had it done to me), I don't understand what he thought he was doing there a few times...
    High chin, arms out, open, I am surprised He didn't get clipped just for those cardinal sins.
    As for getting hit when trying to get up, what happens just showed his lack of experience in that situation, that's all.
    I am sure he learned His lesson and it won't happen again.
    It's a lot easier to see water when you aren't the fish that is in it though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    It's a lot easier to see water when you aren't the fish that is in it though.
    You got that right, LOL !

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    That is quite unfortunate for Sharif. But I still have respect for him and the good he does in his community.

What sucks is how the world (the uneducated armchair judging world) will judge him by this one video.

The fact is...what happened to him could happen to anybody or "any style".

The poster of that video callously wrote:
    MMA fighter knockout hung gar master sharif bey in fight! This Kung Fu Master is the best example of the "classical mess" that Bruce Lee was railing against. Typical of most traditional Kung Fu styles that cannot grasp the "real" dynamics of combat whether for sport or the street.
    I agree that it's easy for a non-participant (the guy who posted the vid) to point to one moment in time of an individual and then make sweeping judgments about that person and his entire MA. Then, like some religious zealot, post comments that bends what happened to fit into his (her?) narrow viewpoint. When I read that guy's comments, I heard them in a whiny geek voice in my head. If every person that had a poor showing were proof that their MA sucked, then every MA on the planet would suck. He got caught, but it was a learning experience for him. I give him credit for stepping up...certainly far more credit than the guy who posted the vid. Any real MAist has had their rear end handed to them now and then (and vice versa), and if they haven't, then they have never really trained or sparred/fought with anyone.

That said, I also couldn't understand what the Sifu was doing with his arms all open. It looked as though he was intending to go light/moderate, while the MMA guy was there to fight. Difference in intent.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-07-2015 at 10:25 AM.

whether or not he is representative of the art as a whole isn't the argument you all should be arguing against. Some will make that case, those people aren't worth your while. The argument you should be concerned with is that he is, whether deserving or no, considered an expert it seems within HG circles. And he was bested, it appears on this film (ignoring for the moment potential editing), rather easily by someone who appears to be an average anonymous MMA guy. Average MMA guy bests expert HG guy. That's what this appears like. The truth of that may be different. But that's the real argument that you should be dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    whether or not he is representative of the art as a whole isn't the argument you all should be arguing against. Some will make that case, those people aren't worth your while. The argument you should be concerned with is that he is, whether deserving or no, considered an expert it seems within HG circles. And he was bested, it appears on this film (ignoring for the moment potential editing), rather easily by someone who appears to be an average anonymous MMA guy. Average MMA guy bests expert HG guy. That's what this appears like. The truth of that may be different. But that's the real argument that you should be dealing with.

Perhaps and, looking only at the "facts", that is what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Perhaps and, looking only at the "facts", that is what happened.
    Then the better options to address this matter (or not address, possibly an equivalent option) are then apparent, no?

All we ever have to look at are "facts."