Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    both. Hung-Ga practitioners use different forms of training-rolling iron bars or barbells on the forearms, lifting jars with their fingertips,various resistance training as well. In our school, we've added belt-cracking from shuai-jiao to the standard warm-up, because it is so good in developing the wrist and hands and power generation.

Thanks TenTigers I have not heard of iron bar rolling on the forearms, I assummed the iron rings ,but i know there a a zillion ways to get the same results.

not same results-each method trains specific strengths. Iron rings serve different purposes-conditioning,and several different types of power generation. Iron bar rolling also conditions, but develops a different type of power generation. The idea is that one exercise doesn't cover everything so you need to hit it at different angles. Same goes with training a person to fight. There are many types of sparring, from isolation drills, to bare knuckle contact sparring, to all out full gear sparring, etc.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    He was always in amazing shape.

Most southern stylists I know do weight training of some sort.
    Goju is notorious for it and so is Uechi.
    Or at least they were.
    I do ST on a regualr basis, depending on the schedule, 1-2 week.
    Typically the major ones:
    Deadlfits
    Chins
    Dips
    Squats
    Over head presses.
    And some isolation ones like wrist exercise and calf raises for those hard to reach areas
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

few LGHK Application Drills (saan sau 散手): kicks, strikes, throws, submission (tek da syut na 踢打摔拿). video was shot during my sifu's seminars in my school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GdxrbowD5s
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Kettlebells!!!

Kettlebells are really a great tool for just about every aspect of training. If you want to work endurance, grab a lighter bell and snatch it for ten minutes or do circuit training for time verses reps. If you want to get stronger then grab the heaviest bell you can tout with good form and do ladders of 5. Snatches, rows, deadlifts, squats, turkish getups, windmills, walking swings... all that good stuff.

I also do plenty of bodyweight stuff with some sandbag and club bell training mixed in.

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    Kettlebells!!!

Kettlebells are really a great tool for just about every aspect of training. If you want to work endurance, grab a lighter bell and snatch it for ten minutes or do circuit training for time verses reps. If you want to get stronger then grab the heaviest bell you can tout with good form and do ladders of 5. Snatches, rows, deadlifts, squats, turkish getups, windmills, walking swings... all that good stuff.

I also do plenty of bodyweight stuff with some sandbag and club bell training mixed in.
    Did you read the question SD Jerry?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    dude its all in the belt....i need to get me one of those....

looks like a standard wide kidney protecting lifting belt to me. Probably hard to find these days as they make them differently now. Get a double wide sash and a regular kidney belt to achieve the same type of support I guess.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Don' t forget Sifu Mike Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    few LGHK Application Drills (saan sau 散手): kicks, strikes, throws, submission (tek da syut na 踢打摔拿). video was shot during my sifu's seminars in my school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GdxrbowD5s
    Thanks for posting that PM, I enjoyed it.

some old Hung Gar clips

FuHok from BSK's Siu Lum Pai (Jose Ramos, student of Buck Sam Kong):
    YouTube - Jose Ramos - Hung Gar - Kong's Siu Lum Pai

Lam Chun Fai sifu, double sword demo (1974):
    YouTube - Lam Chun Fai - 1974 - Hung Gar

Frank Yee (Yee Chi Wai) long pole:
    YouTube - Hung gar - Yee Chi Wai
    Last edited by mok; 07-08-2008 at 07:15 AM.
    __
    "What is the sound of one hand clawing???" -- chanh buddhist proverb

isn't Jose Ramos the guy in BSK's book? Very cool to see him perform.

My Sifu taught me a version of that double broadsword set so many years ago. This has always been a favorite due to its practicality and lack of flash and ground rolling-which I personally don't care for.

Sifu Yee has always been known for his strong staff work. His Ng Long Bot Gwa Gwun is a powerful set. I have seen many people perform it, but it is very difficult to maintain the energy throughout, and few can do it justice. This is like a textbook-inspiring.
    Do you have any more? Keep 'em coming!

The karate practioners connected to CKKA

Recently I was visiting with a kung fu brother. He was saying that he knows some people question the connection between our style and the karate people listed on the CKKA website. He said that he really didn't care about what they thought, and that the people who train in karate and our style practiced karate first before coming to Chong Oi Mun to learn kung fu. Seems reasonable to me.

The question still remains: Who is Li Sai Wing? after all, that's what this thread is supposed to be about.

Hung Wei Lo