Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar

Yee's Hung Gar Video

Any videos of Yee's Hung Gar doing San Da out there. I know thery fight but can't find any videos.

hung kuen drills (video)

some drills from our training...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWO_jjYOFBs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joeZXAUO3DM

some drills from our training...

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    nice stuff Bro! Too many Kung-Fu schools rely on two-man sets, punching and kicking air, and forms practice. Not enough hitting stuff. Keep it up!

btw-when Kung-Fu schools complain about dwindling numbers of students, if they just add more pad drills, their enrollment would increase. People-not just kids, but everyone, loves hitting stuff. Pad drills are fun, exhausting-sweat means happy in most schools, empowering, energizing,and important.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Both of those were great. I train a lot of drilling and hitting, and I can say the same as TT, students love it, since it gives them an outlet as well as an indicator of how well they can do things before they start sparring a lot.
    -Golden Arms-

That little tiger looks like he's having a grand time!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I enjoy doing drills but have run into a couple of things in classes that are either annoying or surprising.

The first is that unless you have a bit of money invested in equipment or students who are OK with buying their own focus equipment, you can end up making a bottleneck in the class... The old One person with focus mitt on one person punching, and everyone else waiting in line....

Or, you are spending time one on one...and the rest of the class is not getting instruction or structure. Annoying....

Surprising... The first class I was in where I had to hold the kicking target, bag, focus mitt, etc..., I KNEW how to hold it. I knew I needed to be rooted if there was kicking involved...maybe I wasn't rooted well enough...but I knew I had to do it and if I moved back, I knew to root but be prepared to go with it with balance instead of falling on my rear.

Now, with most in a class, they don't hold the target well, they put them at the wrong angle, they fall down, are surprised when there is actually some force behind a technique...(I mean, why are you kicking it if you aren't going to use force...why punch it if you are not putting FOCUS and POWER into it?

So, I now take a bit of time with newbies to teach them how to hold the targets. Puzzles me since no one ever did that for me....but what the heck.

two words - Circuit Training

first create the circuits, make sure they logically develop similar attributes, whole body attributes, specific to fighting attributes, structure, strength, principle etc etc.

teach everyone how to be a partner for drills that require pads, mitts etc.

as teacher, move from circuit position to circuit position, make necessary corrections and so on.

In my opinion, it is useful to develop several circuit routines so that students always have a lot to do and a lot to learn.

you can even break it up so that you are running two or more circuits depending on the size of your class.

some can be doing conditioning circuits, others can do strength circuits, others do striking circuits and so on.

:-)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I've done the pad drills about a dozen times now, and my impression is that, aside from practicing technique, it serves as much for building strength in the person holding the pad.

After doing roundhouse kicks back and forth a few hundred times over a half hour, my shoulders hurt from holding the pads just as much as my hips from making the kicks.

wow,first of all thanks for the many comments..

I get what GLW is saying..the answer already came from David..we do rotations..mostly we are not more than 8 students..so i put them each with a partner..so 2 work with the focus mits,2 are on the heavy bag,2 with kicking shields and 2 do saam sing/ etc. theres always a way..

Also its true in the beginning the student really dont know how to "feed" the partner when holding the mits/pats so yes he also needs to learn it

Not a big fan of the "defensive drilling" one myself, he tends to reach for his blocks way too much, a "curse" of that particular drill.
    The pad one was nice.
    Beginner drills I assume, yes?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The pad one was nice.
    yes,this is to practise the single strikes
    we have more drills with combinations etc.
    we also have a drill against multiple attackers that hold
    different pads ,mits etc....

I likes it!
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Not a big fan of the "defensive drilling" one myself, he tends to reach for his blocks way too much, a "curse" of that particular drill.
    The pad one was nice.

people that are starting with shielding defensive strategies, inevitably reach for the incoming instead of closing the gates. It is common and goes away with practice. I've seen it with pretty much everyone I ever practiced with and used to do it myself.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Brief Explanation of Hung Gar

Way back when, I read a description of Hung Gar being a simplified variation of Tiger Style. From what I see today, this is an over simplified explanation of the system. Can someone give me a brief explanation of the offense, defense and combative theory of hung gar?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Simplified? Where on earth have you been getting your info from?
    Hung-Ga is an amalgamation of many Siu-Lum disciplines. Tiger is emphasized, but the five animals, five elements, long and short bridges, hei-gung, etc make Hung-Ga an extremely vast system.
    On a base level, it is a powerful system that seeks to blast into the opponent, overwhelming him with barrages of full power,, full body strikes. Each strike is considered a major blow, but come in rapid-fire succession. Once a Hung-Ga fighter engages his opponent, he is committed to the end, crowding him, smothering him with blows, and does not disengage until the opponent is downed.
    Later, higher level techniques are introduced, such as bridge sensitivity, subtle angles, different qualities of energy, short bridging techniques, running, trapping, sticking hands, specialized hand formations designed to deliver strikes with pinpoint accuracy to vital areas, joint locks, breaks, throws, etc.
    Hung-Ga is not simplified anything.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.