Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar

What I can't help but wonder is do the students ever look up the history of their forms, style, instructors? One days research on friggin youtube and they should see how different they are from everyone else in their "lineage". I've seen similar things with Wing Chun but now with so much revealed on the net people shouldn't be so easily duped anymore.

This organisation has had literally thousands of students, I hope in the future if a student google's CKKA or Canadian Kung-fu Karate that this thread pops up and makes them question their authenticity.

Here's a clue ... if you have WONG FEI HUNG in your lineage chart you should be doing HUNG GAR. The asian language you should use in class is CHINESE (Cantonese or Mandarin), not Japanese, you should have a SIFU not a sensei.

Now with the internet people can check their curriculums against those of other Hung Gar schools and even check their forms to see if they basically match up with others.

BTW thanx for posting about this on bullshido, the more it's out there the less people they dupe.

You know, the sad thing is, there are promising young guys & gals who enter such schools, invest a lot of time and energy (and money) in such a place. And then sometime later, most often MUCH later, they find out what they have been doing all this time.

We all know over 95% is just doing this recreational, but for those few who are promising and talented it is a waste of time. And they will feel VERY cheated when they find out how it is working. The recreational students I don't care much about, they probably get exactly what they want & need, but those few students who will dedicate themselves to the arts we really need to uphold the roots, values and everything else traditional martial arts stand for.

With this post I'm not picking on any school in particular, but I agree with some posts made above. Just wanted to say teachers have responsibilities to promising students. But hey, they might even believe their own story over time.

I'd have to agree that the majority o individuals training are hobbiest and really couldn't care less about all the history/lineage stuff.

The really dedicated students have to develope a hard skin. On their path they will run into many charlatans and sadly will be duped outof their $$ and time.

This fantasy of finding 1 teacher who has it all is a myth. Tell me of one "famous" individual who had only one teacher in their entire life.

Sons in the lineages of Lam and Chiu. Probably others

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    everybody I meet is my teacher.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Sure but with some it just goes a lot faster then with others!

Thanks for posting

Greetings All! I have been checking every week to see if there were any new postings for this thread, and WOW all this activity in a matter of days. I am working on a reply but due to the volume of new posts that have been added it is going to take me some time. So stay tuned. I hope to have something in about two weeks, maybe less.

hung wei lo

Sifu Tom Grant - South Plainfield, NJ (Yee's Hung Ga)

...and of course if you're near Connecticut, do check out Onassis Parungao.

http://www.cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    __
    "What is the sound of one hand clawing???" -- chanh buddhist proverb

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    i think its incorrect to call hung gar the hardest style. i have always been told (and i welcome any correction) hung gar starts off hard but works toward the "soft" or subtle side. all tcma have a hard and a soft side otherwise they wouldn't be balanced. but as for hung ga instructors in the u.s. i would pick in no particular order:

1. sifu sharif bey- Brooklyn (i think), NY (Yee's Hung ga)
    2. sifu pedro yee- clifton, NJ (Yee's Hung Ga)
    3. sifu wing lam- somewhere in ca i think
    Correction and update:
    SiFu Sharif Bey's branch is located in Syracuse NY.
    There's also a new branch that just opened about at year ago

SiFu Mir Sultan - New Brunswick, NJ (www.nbyeeshungga.com)

In New York City you can also check out Matthew Blazon Yee's school. His Hung Ga is through the Tang Fong lineage:

www.newyorkhungga.com

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    On Long Island, Ling Nam Siu Lum, -Sifu Michael Manganiello, and of course, Ten Tigers Kung-Fu Academy......Moi!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Question What is the true origin and history of Hung Gar?

I've read a lot of contrasting things about the origin of Hung Gar. Does anyone out there know what the best scholarship has to say on the issue?

Did Hung Gar really come from the Southern Shaolin temple and when we say 'the' Southern Shaolin temple which one are we talking about (I've read there were three)?

Did Gee Sim really exist or was the story of the elders escaping Shaolin simply fabricated by anti-Qing rebels to add legitimacy to their style?

Who was the historical Hung Hei Goon a tea merchant or an aristocrat and cousin of the Ming royalty?

How many different branches of Hung Gar are there out there and how do the curriculums differ/compare? Assuming that Gung Gee fook fu kuen is the basis of Hung Gar where did the rest come from?

Be grateful to anyone who can clear some of this up for me.

Thanks
    Last edited by Crosshandz; 10-11-2009 at 10:22 AM.

some of this stuff has been discussed at http://www.hungkyun.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4 try there:-)
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    some of this stuff has been discussed at http://www.hungkyun.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4 try there:-)
    Thanks I'll take a look.

Any further responses from anyone else, as stated previously, would be welcomed.