Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar

Check out Ho Lap Tin's "The Shooting Star Boxing of Hung Pugilism".

Ho Lap Tin was a direct disciple of Tang Fung, who in turn studied directly under Wong Fei Hung.

The set presented in the book isn't a Hung Ga set per se, but Ho does depict his entire set (which he made up himself).

More interestingly, Ho has presented applications to all of the moves. All of them are geared toward defending against strikers.

Interesting book, Ho Lap Tin. Chinese / English too.
    Mistake, though, Tang Fung learned followed Lam Sai Wing, not Wong Fai Hung.

it was my understanding that Tang Fung's sifu WAS in fact WFH, and NOT LSW.

Sorry there, according to Ho Lap Tin is not correct. Even Tang Fung is Lam Sai Wing student together with at Lok Sin Kek Yuen, famous for the history? Perhaps after to follow Wong Fai Hung learns the medicine only. Every body knows this!

Such . . . sob . . . common knowledge . . .

just kidding.

That's not what I heard or experienced, having trained under both systems for a while.

if everybody knew it , it most likely would not be contested... however, it is.

i'm not saying Tang Fung didn't learn from LSW, just that it was my understanding that the Tang Fung lineage is traced to WFH.

of course, I suppose unless we are Tang Fung or WFH or LSW themselves, we don't really know and we have to take people's word for it.

i'm going to take my sifu and sigung's word for it...

Posting of incorrect info.

SiJiHao,

What you have posted is incorrect. My Sigung's book states that Tang Fung learned originally under Lam Sai Wing and later went to study under Wong Fei Hung. Not only does it states that he learned the Osteopathy, he also learned Hung's Pugilism from him.

It's unfortunate that someone who does not represent Tang Fung lineage believes that he knows much about it. This is like saying I know all about you lineage yet I haven't a clue to which branch you belong.

It is a fact that Tang Fung learned some gung fu from Lam Sai Wing, it is also a fact that he was with Lam Sai Wing during his the Luk Sin incident. However, you are sadly mistaking to believe that Tang Fung only learned medicine under Wong Fei Hung.

It was Wong who taught Tang Fong the advance methods of Hung Ga not Lam Sai Wing.

Not only does my sigung mention this in his book Lau Sing Kuen, he also mention it in his book on Lung Fu San (Hung Ga Pugilism) as well as his first book on Hung Ga San Sau.

Each of these books stated he learned Hung pugilism under Lam Sai Wing and later from Wong Fei Hung. I couldn't see the close relationship between Mok Gwai Lan and Tang Fong if he was not a sup yut dai Gee under Wong Fei Hung.

HuangKaiVun,

Regarding whether or not Lau Sing Kuen is not a Hung Ga set. This is like saying Butterfly Palms, Lau Ga Kuen, Arrow Fist and other forms are not hung ga. This is far from the truth, we know that each branch has their on flavor and with this its on representation of what Hung ga is. All the techniques in Lau Sing Kuen come directly from techniques found in other Hung Ga forms. It's hard to know or understand this if you don't actually learn the form from someone who is qualified to teach it.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu.
    The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger

Hasayfu,

Fu Hok has now been translated and can still be bought for a lowered price at http://www.kungfulibrary.com/
    They also have the three books on CD.
    The quality of the translation is hard to judge, but compared to the books at quandoman they look good and are half the price.
    Also at quandoman they translated the Fu Hok and Tit Sin books from Leung Daat, and not the original work. Although their fourth translated book "Lam Sai Wing's Workout Manual" is of great interest.
    Problem with both is that they use Mandarin instead of Cantonese terms for Hung Gar techniques.

Good to hear that Kwong Wing Lam's book will be out soon. Maybe it will make a nice Christmas present

Je Lei Sifu and GreyMystik,

Correct. Better belief the words of your Sigung.
    Last edited by South Paw; 07-30-2003 at 11:42 PM.
    South Paw

corrected

South Paw,

Thanks for pointing out the translation of Fu-Hok is done. At the time I posted, it wasn't but it is now. I support all translations and think folks should get as many as they can afford. Everyone has a different way of expressing chinese in English. The emphasis can be enlightening. Also, having done some minor translations, the work that goes into it is not even covered by the sales.

As for Sifu's book. It should be around by Christmas. I just spoke to the editor today. They are looking at October now.

With all the build up, I hope the hung gar community will enjoy it. I believe it will be one of the few books that isn't based around a form.

And to Je Lei Sifu, Your lineage is just that. Yours. Don't let outsiders tell you differently. (not that you would) Just giving my support.

In Mok Gwai Lam lineage Dang Fong is not seen as a student of Wong Fei Hung.
    He came with Lam Sai Wing, then learned medicine and maybe a little bit kung fu.

I also spoke with Chiu Chi Ling once in Hong Kong and he said Ho Lap Tin told him all the kung fu came from Lam Sai Wing. Well, you can ask him.

But because maybe Ho Lap Tin tell different to his own students, they have to use that.
    Actually is not that important, Dang Fong maybe learned from many persons (so if other people say he learned from Lam Sai Wing they are not wrong either), just as Lam Sai Wing learned from many.

Jan Seung

In Mok Gwai Lam lineage Dang Fong is not seen as a student of Wong Fei Hung.
    This is far from the truth.

I also spoke with Chiu Chi Ling once in Hong Kong and he said Ho Lap Tin told him all the kung fu came from Lam Sai Wing. Well, you can ask him.
    This statement is funny due to the fact that my Sigung did not associate with many people. I really doubt if he ever held this conversation with Chui Chi Ling. If this is what Chui Chi Ling is stating, then let him state what he wants. However, of what interest is this subject to him? It seems as though you hold to a high point what is told to you by someone who once again is not a part of the Tang Fung lineage. It's strange that all others under Tang Fung lineage say and know exactly what my Sigung has said in all of his books.

But because maybe Ho Lap Tin tell different to his own students, they have to use that.
    Are you indicating that my Sigung need to lies in order to make himself legit? If that is the case, what makes you think that your people who you hold to tell the truth are actually doing that?

Actually is not that important, Dang Fong maybe learned from many persons (so if other people say he learned from Lam Sai Wing they are not wrong either), just as Lam Sai Wing learned from many.
    In actuality, it is very important when someone outside of the circle try to discredit the truth. Tang Fung has learned from several people, just as Lam Sai Wing. If you would read my previous post, I credit Lam Sai Wing as one of his teachers but later on Wong Fei Hung. Once again he did not only learn medicine from Wong Fei Hung, he learned gung fu also and not just a little bit.

South Paw and Hasayfu

Thanks for your support.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu

Je Lei Sifu,

To Chiu Chi Ling Sifu the "HUNG GA FAMILY JOINT PUBLIC STATEMENT", published on his website, still holds truth.

Jan Seung,

To tell that Chiu Chi Ling Sifu talked to you can not be verified. Simply because we don't know you. Don't misuse the name of my Sifu !!!
    South Paw

To South Paw
    You saying
    "Je Lei Sifu and GreyMystik,

Correct. Better belief the words of your Sigung."

How the reason your sudden so interest to stop this information? And after saying
    Jan Seung,

"To tell that Chiu Chi Ling Sifu talked to you can not be verified. Simply because we don't know you. Don't misuse the name of my Sifu !!!"

First time i think you not understand. Now i asking why you so interesting change your Sifu words? You saying verify verify nevermind! Any body may ask your Sifu about this, is not misuse.

To Jei Lei
    This is Chiu Chi Ling say also, sure! Chiu Chi Ling know everbody, very famous tell you the best one, i know. never mind this, how you say is no problem, my opinion. also, you should special thanks someone who trouble himself mentions how the history will written down, and also who he is writting. He not mentioning, you not yet know. Perhaps you "shot the messager" already? For me, i hope so lucky could learn the medicine for Wong Fai Hung, no problem. Lok Sin then, certainly Wong Fai Hung is very much like to Tang Fung. Sorry you, don't angry me please!

???????

SiJiHao,

Forgive me for not understanding a thing that you have said. The only part I did understand, was that you don't want me to angry you.

Why would you be angry? It is not your lineage that is being incorrectly spoken about.

However, let's say I do anger you. What's going to happen? You're going to become upset, say alot of things which means nothing and then what?

If this is not what you are trying to get across (your anger) then explain yourself a little better in detail.

South Paw,

The Joint Statement says alot. I have no bad thoughts of Master Chiu Chi Ling and I know that these are words coming from someone who more than likely doesn't have his permission to speak for him directly.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu

Good to see that some of us can get along and even support each other even if we are from differing lines. Hung Kuen Yut Gar!

SiJiHao and Jan Seung,

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I assume you are only passing on information you have been taught and believe to be true.

Are you saying you speak for Chiu Chi Ling? SouthPaw is a close student of Chiu Chi Ling. Of course, I don't believe he speaks for Chiu Chi Ling either. Maybe others from Chiu's line can clear this up.

Care to share where your information comes from? It doesn't matter that your story is different from Je Lei Sifu. My story is different from others too. We can still respect each other. But knowing where the stories come from helps put some weight and credence to it.

Are you guys from Mok's line? Lee Chan Wor perhaps? Don't be shy? It would be great to have more HG brothers on this list.