Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar

Chiu Wai will be in Warszawa, Poland end of next month. He will give seminars and demonstrations during the 3rd European Hung Gar Championships, Chin Woo Championships and International Wushu Championships.
    South Paw

That's what I though.I searched aroung on the net, and saw no mention of nunchaku.Was wondering what they are doing?

It could be a number of things.It could be a village system that contains the short sweeper, it could have absorbed short sweeper from another style (there was a lot of interplay and form sharing between styles in Canton in the early/mid twentieth century), the teacher could have learned the form somewhere else and decided to teach it in his syllabus, the teacher may have felt a need to conform to public expectations in the 70s and 80s and devised a Hung style nunchaku routine, or, of course, it could be Kenpo masquerading as kung fu or made up junk.
    Go along and ask the Sifu.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

wing lam etaches those two cool ass shields.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Hey all,

I'm a newbie here from the Hung Gar school wuwei was checking out in montreal - see my response on the other thread if you're interested...

Other than the 'chucks, the main weapons we learn are:

Daan do, staff, gim, double broadswords, spear, and cane. There is no umbrella, but perhaps the cane set is analogous?

At the black-sash level new weapons are introduced: butterfly swords, wooden bench, double gim, and double daggers.

Our double-daggers set is from northern eagle-claw, in fact the same set is played 2 ways - either with daggers in reverse grip or without using the standard "eagle claw" shape. It has some pretty fancy kicking in it, and is decidedly not "hung gar".

Judging on the weapons rack, they also taught 3-section staff, 9 section whip, and trident (tiger-fork) at some point. But I have never seen these taught and none of the current black-sashes know these sets.

I have no idea if other "typical" Hung Gar lineages do a wooden man set? there are clips on the net of grandmaster Chan Hon Jung doing a mook yan jong set, but it's not the same set we do.
    IMHO dummy training fits nicely with Hung gar - it's really good to help you flow/trap, and to toughen your forearms as well...

Regards,

mok
    Last edited by mok; 05-28-2004 at 01:59 PM.
    __
    "What is the sound of one hand clawing???" -- chanh buddhist proverb

Thumbs up masters of Hung Kuen

Hi, I am new to this forum so let me say a little about myself,I St udied Hung kuen and Wing-Choong kuen both under my uncle. Our lineage is under Fung Wing Biu.Have to go now until next time, Hung Kuen yat Ga.
    Hunggakuen

welcome aboard, dude!

take care, OFZ

It's evident, my potential be infinite- The RZA

Are you presently teaching or practising both styles in NYC. where is your school located?
    mono68

Hung Gar lineage sites??

I was searching the web and i found a great site on Preying Mantis. www.geocities.com/mantiscave . It has a very extensive list of lineages, tracing it from the founder to many masters living today.

Does anyone know if there are any sites out there like this for the Hung Gar lineage? If not, there should be!!

Thanks

Here you have a site of European Hung Gar Masters. But they go back to Lam Sai Wing.

Kind regards,
    KPE

Blog Entries

Thanks Guys,
    Yeah I've seen those sites and they pretty limited in their information. It really only talks about the lineage of one school. I would love to find out who all of Tang Fong's students were and where they or their students are today.
    Thanks!!

New Hung Gar DVD's from Hong Kong

Click here to learn about the new Hung Gar DVD's that will be released Spring 2005 by Mark Houghton Sifu. Lau Jaam Lineage.
    Last edited by South Paw; 12-14-2004 at 05:00 AM.
    South Paw

Thumbs up ....

thank you Southpaw!!!

Hi,
    My Sifu Mark Houghton has together with his Students and his Sihing Lau Kar Yung (Dragon's Claws),produced a series of hung gar instructionals.
    They a re quite different from your common instructional vid....on each vid youŽll find a short movie to the form explaining its history.....
    see the trailer on...(trailer is more than 4 minutes long so it takes a bit to download.....)
    http://www.es-films.com/index_topic....41ff2122902b09

http://www.es-films.com
    Last edited by Laukarbo; 12-13-2004 at 10:22 AM.

Lau Gar Leung father is Lau Jalm not Lau Saam.