Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Then the better options to address this matter (or not address, possibly an equivalent option) are then apparent, no?

All we ever have to look at are "facts."

Well, I think it was pretty clear that, aside from the fact that anyone can have his ass KO'd, that he was a bit silly with his "arm waving" and high chin BUT more directly related to his KO, He should have been more aware of how he one gets up from the ground in the middle of a fight.
    He was clearly not protecting himself when he got clipped.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Guy with boxing gloves uses boxing style to put the bop on dude's melon.
    Guy who forgot to bring his gloves realizes what boxing gloves are for.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Well, I think it was pretty clear that, aside from the fact that anyone can have his ass KO'd, that he was a bit silly with his "arm waving" and high chin BUT more directly related to his KO, He should have been more aware of how he one gets up from the ground in the middle of a fight.
    He was clearly not protecting himself when he got clipped.
    I agree with all of the above, but I don't think it need be that detailed. Its really down to this. Is he an expert? If not, is he fight competent? If you answer no to either of the above, then your previous post is justification for that answer. If the answer is no, how does he get there? By doing what he's doing (mixing up outside his style)? I would say, if not a total fix, its probably a pretty good step in the right direction at least. Then the matter is, other than academics, settled yes?

As for the detail, the above, to me, can be summarized that it looked like he was thinking more about how to be a "hung gar" fighter than about actually fighting what was in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    I agree with all of the above, but I don't think it need be that detailed. Its really down to this. Is he an expert? If not, is he fight competent? If you answer no to either of the above, then your previous post is justification for that answer. If the answer is no, how does he get there? By doing what he's doing (mixing up outside his style)? I would say, if not a total fix, its probably a pretty good step in the right direction at least. Then the matter is, other than academics, settled yes?

As for the detail, the above, to me, can be summarized that it looked like he was thinking more about how to be a "hung gar" fighter than about actually fighting what was in front of him.
    You may have a valid point.
    None of us know what was going on in His head of course BUT they could have been the case.
    If so, it is understandable because, no matter what, we kung fu guys would always prefer that we look like our style when we fight. That is kind of the point of doing a style, right?
    That said, it should be noted that the distinct flavour of any style is more noticeable the LESS trained our opponent is OR if our opponent is of the same style.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Hey guys...happy new year and all!

So on the Sharif fight, I did learn a couple interesting facts. Well, one I almost forgot about.

1st) I think Sharif was crazy to accept that challenge in his state. He probably wouldn't say it publicly but I pretty sure he had some of his intestines on the outside of his body still. Literally his guts in a bag. Reason I know this is because I had seen him for an event prior in Boston and he had some sort of abdominal infection go SEPTIC and he showed me his guts in a medical bag out side his body under his shirt. Little bit bigger than a Ziplock sized bag but laid flat on his stomach. I said, "Dude that's gross man!"

I fairly certain he must have been acting off ego or GUTS ( pun intended ) but if that was me, I would've waited till I had all my internals INSIDE my body. He's just plain crazy!

2nd) The dude brought gloves with him? Who does that, it's almost as if he was gunning for him? Or he just came from the gym? haha. Was it politics or did someone have an agenda and send a ringer ?

Anyway...well said Jimbo on this:
    If every person that had a poor showing were proof that their MA sucked, then every MA on the planet would suck
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You may have a valid point.
    None of us know what was going on in His head of course BUT they could have been the case.
    If so, it is understandable because, no matter what, we kung fu guys would always prefer that we look like our style when we fight. That is kind of the point of doing a style, right?
    That said, it should be noted that the distinct flavour of any style is more noticeable the LESS trained our opponent is OR if our opponent is of the same style.
    I think this is the first time I've seen you reference yourself as a kung fu person. Not that you couldn't have before, I've been out of the loop a good while now on this forum due to grad research mess. Just a meaningless observation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    Hey guys...happy new year and all!

So on the Sharif fight, I did learn a couple interesting facts. Well, one I almost forgot about.

1st) I think Sharif was crazy to accept that challenge in his state. He probably wouldn't say it publicly but I pretty sure he had some of his intestines on the outside of his body still. Literally his guts in a bag. Reason I know this is because I had seen him for an event prior in Boston and he had some sort of abdominal infection go SEPTIC and he showed me his guts in a medical bag out side his body under his shirt. Little bit bigger than a Ziplock sized bag but laid flat on his stomach. I said, "Dude that's gross man!"

I fairly certain he must have been acting off ego or GUTS ( pun intended ) but if that was me, I would've waited till I had all my internals INSIDE my body. He's just plain crazy!

2nd) The dude brought gloves with him? Who does that, it's almost as if he was gunning for him? Or he just came from the gym? haha. Was it politics or did someone have an agenda and send a ringer ?

Anyway...well said Jimbo on this:
    1) Speculation; you have no way to substantiate this. Time frame is important. These procedures can be quite temporary. It's also a pretty improper to out someone's personal medical history like this to the public. Even if he did let it be known himself. Not your place. Particularly when its of next to zero relevance to the topic.

2)
    Who does that
    People who spar. People who come prepared for a match.

KFTC Day 2017: Michael Goodwin

Michael Goodwin's demonstration at our KUNG FU TAI CHI 25TH ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL compliments his article, The Plum Blossom Double Chain Whips of Hung Ga Kung Fu By Michael Goodwin in the SEP+OCT 2017 issue.

Hung Gar at the KUNG FU TAI CHI 25TH ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

GM Live 2017: Grandmaster John Leong

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

KFTC Day 2017: Don Hamby

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

GM Live 2017: Grandmaster Chiu Chi Ling

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

GM Live 2017: Robin Leong

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

On the newsstands now

The NOVEMBER+DECEMBER 2017 issue Cover Story: Fierce Tiger Descending the Mountain by Gene Ching is available for free online.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on this month's cover story

Here's an exclusive extra from NOVEMBER+DECEMBER 2017 issue Cover Story: Robin Leong on Acting, Teaching, and His Renowned Kung Fu Father by Gene Ching - available for free online.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Charlene Houghton

Anyone know her? I've heard of her dad.

CHARLENE HOUGHTON: KUNG FU BLOODLINE
    Frances Watthanaya 29 August 2018

Hong Kong’s own Charlene Houghton is bringing the old school back to mainstream martial arts.

The 28 year old actress has been practicing traditional Hung Gar Kung Fu since she was 14 and is currently in the works to debut her stand up skills to the world with GLORY Kickboxing.

Charlene is much more than just a martial arts practitioner, Kung Fu is literally in her bloodline. Daughter of the legendary Hung Gar master, actor, stuntman, and fight choreographer, Mark Houghton, better known as “Ho-Mak” in China, Charlene has been watching her father’s movements since birth.

“My first true experience in Kung Fu was at the age of five. My father encouraged me to stretch and copy his Kung Fu movements as an activity, nothing formal or traditional. He just wanted me to enjoy Kung Fu for myself,” Charlene tells ROUGH.

“I loved it, and I remember being really excited when I took part in a short martial arts documentary with my father for a TV show. Unfortunately, my father stopped teaching me Kung Fu because I kicked a boy and made his nose bleed when I was in kindergarten.”

Charlene Houghton, Kung Fu Fighter, GLORY Kickboxing, Hong Kong

I WANT TO SHOW PEOPLE THAT KUNG FU IS NOT ONLY FOR PERFORMANCE BUT IS EFFECTIVE IN AN ACTUAL FIGHT.

It wasn’t until she was 14 that she took it up again, and since then hasn’t stopped. She is classically trained in the traditional Hung Gar Kung Fu lineage.

Training under her father, Charlene was also privileged enough to have worked with her grandmaster, the late Lau Kar Leung. Lau Kar Leung was a famous Hong Kong-based Chinese actor, filmmaker, action choreographer, and martial artist.

She continued to follow her father’s footsteps into the movies and works regularly in the local film scene both in Hong Kong and in China. She’s also dedicated to Kung Fu training, her fitness regime and is working as a personal trainer.

When it comes to the movies, Charlene sees it as a platform to help preserve Hung Gar Kung Fu.

“My grandmaster wrote his last movie script before he passed away. My father and I decided to continue his dream and bring the script back to life on the big screen. Introduce this traditional martial art to the whole world before it disappears.”

That same mentality has now brought her to GLORY, where she hopes to lead the way in helping traditional martial arts make a successful transition to modern combat sports such as kickboxing and MMA.

“I want to show people that Kung Fu is not only for performance but is effective in an actual fight.”

Despite her extensive experience in martial arts, Charlene will definitely be going into GLORY as an underdog. She’s technically only fought a handful of times, whereas most of the other women on the roster come from stand-up fighting backgrounds.

Margie kwok and Charlene Houghton at E-1 World Championship.

In 2015, Charlene had her first fight when when she starred in a Hong Kong based reality TV show about eight female fighters from different martial arts backgrounds who were brought together to compete in MMA.

The show was played out for two years during which time Charlene beat out her opposition and won the championship. Since then, she hasn’t been in a cage or a ring as she has been focusing on her movie career and traditional training. Charlene knows what’s at stake stepping through those ropes, but the Eurasian is ready for the challenge.

“I believe I will be a top fighter in kickboxing and will even be a contender for the title in the near future. I would like to prove that as a female action artist I can fight for real too.”

Once she goes pro, Charlene intends to devote all of her time to training. She admits that her lifestyle will change drastically, but knows that complete focus will be needed for her to succeed.

Despite switching to kickboxing, Charlene will continue to train Kung Fu with her father. She will most likely travel to China to train at the Xi’an Sports University where she has spent extended periods of time training in the past.

“Besides basic skills, footwork, and stamina, I am focusing a lot on sparring. I spar with everyone of different genders, weights, and sizes.”

With the pressure of lineage and family honour riding on a successful professional debut, the fight is more than just a win to add to her record. A daughter’s devotion to a proud tradition of Kung Fu demands more and will not settle for less.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips