Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Monkey King

Monkey King

Marvel At China's Own Iron Man Type Movie
    Brian Ashcraft
    Yesterday 7:05am Filed to: IRON MAN

GIF: 機甲戰神孫悟空
    Sure, Iron Man 3 was filmed partly in China, but that’s still a Marvel movie and an American superhero. Tomorrow, the country is releasing its own movie inspired one of its greatest heroes, revamped with an Iron Man-style suit.

This is Armored Warfare God: Sun Wukong. Also known as the Monkey King, Sun Wukong is one of the classic characters of Chinese legend and lore.

陳艾斯

@AceTaiwan
    Follow @AceTaiwan
    More
    我還能說什麼?

中國電影「機甲戰神孫悟空」預告釋出,讓漫威看了也傻眼
    https://www.techbang.com/posts/63382...from=home_news

8:40 PM - 16 Dec 2018
    Not only is Sun Wukong the main character in one of China’s greatest works Journey to the West, but he also inspired and spawned Goku in Dragon Ball.

Now, the Sun Wukong character has been reworked for modern Chinese cinema audiences, complete with an Iron Man type suit, monkey motif mask and questionable CGI. It certainly does not appear connected with Marvel!

As ET Today reports, the reaction online in China has been harsh, with Marvel fans calling out the filmmakers.

Screenshot: 東森新聞 CH51

Screenshot: 東森新聞 CH51

Chinese language media has been quick to point out obvious similarities with the Iron Man movies.

Armored Warfare God: Sun Wukong comes out tomorrow in China.
    I wanna see this.

THREADS
    Armored Warfare God: Sun Wukong
    Chinese Counterfeits, Fakes & Knock-Offs
    Monkey King
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I still wanna see this

This Iron Man knockoff got laughed off the internet
    Zheping Huang
    JAN 02, 2019
    A new CGI movie adaptation of beloved Chinese classic Journey to the West has met an untimely demise. Meant to be a futuristic spin on the mythological classic, the movie instead got laughed off the internet because its armor-clad hero looks a little too much like Iron Man, from Marvel Comics franchise.

The film, titled Armored War God Monkey King, was expected to stream exclusively on Tencent Video over the festive period, but got yanked before debut, as Marvel fans in the world’s largest internet market pelted it online.

Photo: QQ

The promotional trailer of the film drew much flak online after it showed the Monkey King, also known as Sun Wukong, getting a makeover that included wearing a bright red-and-gold armored suit and headgear, with an artificial intelligence-powered assistant and display—similar to that used by Iron Man, the superhero alter ego of business magnate Tony Stark in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Armored War God also features a hi-tech version of antagonist Yang Jian, the three-eyed god in the novel. Yang wears a silver-coloured, full-body armor that people thought was way too similar to War Machine, Iron Man's buddy.

Yang Jian (L) and Sun Wukong, in the trailer. / Photo: QQ

How dare you?

The trailer ignited outrage in China’s internet community. “Stan Lee passed away not that long ago. How dare you?” one wrote on microblogging site Weibo, referring to the late iconic Marvel comic books writer, editor, and publisher.

The film’s producers, Daishu Movie of Beijing, and Guangzhou-based Grandmet Presentation, said they took inspiration from Iron Man, the Transformers film franchise and Japan’s Gundam series of giant robots.

The movie poster, before debut. / Photo: QQ

“We can make armored heroes that belong to China,” the producers said in one of the film’s promotional videos. “No matter how difficult the process is, we’ll carry with us our childhood dreams, presenting to the world a Chinese-made smart armor.”

But that attempt to tap into nationalist sentiment did not prevent their film from being yanked off the schedule of Tencent Video, which also removed the unpopular trailer.

The official Weibo account promoting the film was also deleted.

Neither Tencent nor the producers responded to our request for comment.

Sun Wukong's AI-inspired dashboard, similar to what Iron Man uses in Marvel movies. / Photo: QQ

Sorting out intellectual property rights as online video soars

The widespread criticism of Armored War God has come as intellectual property rights remain a key issue in China’s trade war with the US.

US President Donald Trump has repeatedly lashed out at China’s lax IPR protection laws, forced technology transfer and alleged IP theft, saying they cost the United States as much as US$600 billion each year.

Development work on Armored War God started in 2016 and film production took a month, with more than 200 people involved in post-production work, according to a press release cited by Chinese media.

To be sure, China’s online film market has been booming, helped by the wide adoption of online streaming services like Tencent Video, Baidu-backed iQiyi and Youku Tudou, a subsidiary of Alibaba Group Holding. These platforms are tapping into Chinese consumers’ growing appetite for original content. Alibaba is the parent company of the South China Morning Post.

Still, it is not uncommon for Chinese studios to take inspiration from Hollywood and their domestic peers. For example, a 2016 Chinese online film called Mad Sheila ripped-off the plot and some characters from Oscar-winning post-apocalyptic action film Mad Max: Fury Road.

After Chinese comedy film I Am Not Madame Bovary became a hit two years ago, copycat films followed, sporting titles like I Am Madame Bovary and Who Killed Madame Bovary?.

This story was adapted from an original article published in the South China Morning Post.

Zheping Huang
    Zheping is a technology reporter covering cryptocurrency, blockchain and gaming for the South China Morning Post. He is a contributor to Inkstone. Previously he wrote about China for Quartz.
    THREADS
    Armored Warfare God: Sun Wukong
    Chinese Counterfeits, Fakes & Knock-Offs
    Monkey King
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A Korean Odyssey

Anyone watch this? I just read where it's a Korean take on Monkey King and that it's available on Netflix. It's got to be better than The New Legends of Monkey.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Pigsy!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This book money king is awesome! Thanks for recommendations. But, I would not agree with the author in one statement - that you shouldn't take loans. Loans sometimes may be the only solution for you. Especially if we're talking about Payday & Installment Loans, these are the most powerful instruments on the market right now.

Our newest exclusive web article

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thanks for sharing, ghostexorcist

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Song

I know he's just got two posts as of this one, but I'm giving Song Yadong is own thread beyond just Shaolin in the Ring and Cage & China MMA. I'm also copying this to our Monkey King thread for cross-ref.

UFC 239: China’s Song Yadong – inspired by Jet Li and the Monkey King – is out to conquer the world

The 21-year-old Chinese phenom blows veteran fighter away in Las Vegas and sets his sights on UFC Shenzhen
    ‘Kung Fu Monkey’ trained outside Shaolin Temple as a child before turning up at Team Alpha Male – and Hall of Famer Urijah Faber is his biggest fan
    Mathew Scott
    Published: 7:59pm, 7 Jul, 2019

Song Yadong celebrates a win at UFC Singapore. Photo: Handout

If Alejandro “Turbo” Perez had managed to eye the clock just before his head hit the canvas he might have seen that 2:04 of the first round had elapsed in his bout against Song “Kung Fu Monkey” Yadong.
    What’s more likely, though, is that Mexican’s lights were already out, and that he woke seconds later simply wondering what the hell had hit him.
    Fans across North America were left pondering the very same thing.
    Not much had been known, stateside, about the 21-year-old bantamweight (14-3, two no contests) before Sunday’s heroics at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and a huge right hand ended the night for a Perez who was eight years older and of considerable more experience, in UFC terms at least, at 21-8-1.
    Embedded video

Niall McGrath

@niallmcgrath4
    Here’s the finish from Yadong

��pic.twitter.com/G5lnX98R9h #UFC239

5:17 PM - Jul 6, 2019
    See Niall McGrath's other Tweets
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Hall of Famer Urijah Faber had been preaching from the MMA pulpit ever since Song turned up at his Team Alpha Male gym in Sacramento asking for his skill set to be fine-tuned.
    In Vegas over the past week Faber had been telling all who listened what Song was all about, continuing a sermon that started in Singapore back in June last year, not too long after he’d started working with the Chinese fighter.

Song Yadong at UFC Shanghai. Photo: Handout

“All this kid wants to do is learn,” Faber said back then. “You teach him something and he wants to practise again and again. You almost have to force him out of the gym.”
    But Asia – and China in particular – has over the past 18 months taken the rising star from Tianjin to heart, as has the world’s premier promotion as it spreads its reach through the region, and into the Middle Kingdom.
    As the second-youngest fighter on the UFC’s books Song stood smiling, once his arm had been raised and his record in the promotion had been stretched to a 4-0 that now includes two performance of the night bonuses. Song just keeps stepping up.

“I was practising that punch. My coach made that call for me to train that specific technique,” Yadong said. “I was prepared to fight all three rounds. I didn’t expect to finish the fight so fast. I’m very happy with the win. I want to fight a top 10 opponent next.”
    He’s certainly earned it and the UFC certainly know they’re on to a good thing.
    There’s the Song origin story, for starters.

Song Yadong poses on the scale during the UFC Fight Night weigh-in at the Mandarin Oriental on in Singapore in June 2018. Photo: Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images

So keen was the young Song on finding a career as a fighter that his family agreed to send him to the kung fu schools that line the walls of the famed Shaolin Temple when he was just nine years old. It was a tough life, long hours of training and chores.
    But Song says that it still wasn’t enough. He wanted not so much to train but to fight.
    “I had watched a lot of kung fu movies, so I wanted to be like my heroes, like Jet Li,” Song said last year. “I went to Shaolin and I trained, getting up each day at 5am. It was harder than I ever expected. I left Shaolin after two years and then I learned about MMA. I like the action, I like the fact every fight tests you and that you always have to work to be the best fighter you can be.”

Song Yadong (right) in action at UFC Singapore. Photo: Handout

And so the journey shifted to MMA and to a fake ID that had Song inside the MMA cage at the age of 15. He drifted through the regional promotions while still a wide-eyed teen – from One Championship, through Kunlun Fight and Wu Lin Feng. But then came a late call-up as the UFC made its debut in Shanghai in November 2017.
    Little, again, was known about Song until, that is, he demolished India’s Bharat “Daring” Khandare (5-3) and looked for all the world that he was born to fight among the world’s best, despite the fact he was still 19.
    After Sunday’s fight, and after hardly raising a sweat, Song called on the UFC also to throw him back into the fray as part of its Shenzhen card on August 31.

Song Yadong is now 4-0 in the UFC. Photo: Handout

That event features a first for China as Zhang “Magnum” Weili (19-1), who faces Brazilian champ Jessica Andrade (20-6) for her strawweight belt and looks to be crowned the first UFC champion from her nation.
    Last month, the UFC opened the doors on its multimillion dollar Performance Institute in Shanghai, with boss Dana White declaring it’ll be a “game-changer” for local fighters.
    Song will no doubt see what’s on offer there, as will his good friend and Team Alpha Male gym pal Liu Pingyuan (13-5), the fellow bantamweight who’s up next for China, against American Jonathan Martinez (10-2) on the UFC Fight Night 155 card in Sacramento on July 13.
    Embedded video

Nick Baldwin
    @NickBaldwinMMA
    If you need pointers on how to pronounce Song Yadong's name, the UFC bantamweight prospect has you covered.

7:00 PM - Jul 6, 2019
    See Nick Baldwin's other Tweets
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Chinese fighters are on a 15-6 UFC record since the start of 2018, and Song for one believes things are only just getting started.
    “I will be working towards the belt,” he told the media after Sunday’s win. “I don’t know when it will happen but I’ll be working hard, waiting for the chance to happen.”
    ****, this weekend in Sacto, but I'm already booked for the ITKFA Championships.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Monkey King

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Monkey King

First forum review. Now on Amazon Prime.

I should trust Wang Baoqiang more. He's a Shaolin-trained celebrity who grew up in Shaolin village. Maybe he was one of the thousands of kids I saw when I was there. Now he's leading the pack of pop Kung Fu Comedies, now that Jackie and Stephen have faded in their humor. In some ways, BiI is what Jackie's Kung Fu Yoga and Stephen's Journey to the West aspired to be, with that distinct Baoqiang 'buddy flick' formula. It's PRC meets Bollywood, colorful (yes, several dance numbers), fightful (yes, swordfights and some decent one-er wire-fu), scenic (yes, obligatory ancient ruin locations), crass (yes, **** jokes), racist (yes, poor mexicans in the chili eating contest), cliche (yes, buddy-break-ups-&-reconciliations), cheesey (yes, cartoonish cgi), foreign (yes, a few hairpin turns outside our cultural box), long-winded (yes, even at only 99 min runtime) and epic (yes, this is a wicked spin on the Monkey King and Hanuman legends).

It's far from perfect, but it's a taste of what PRC thinks might win Chinese audiences and crossover to Bollywood, with absolutely no consideration for the Hollywood market. And it did $100M in PRC so not too far off the mark (can't find India Box stats).

As a huge fan of Journey to the West and the Ramayana, the monkey king aspect really worked for me. I'm not confident it works for anyone not well familiar with the trappings of the Chinese and Indian filmmaking or those legends. Note that this is very much a Chinese New Year flick.

I'm attaching the trailer but I'd advise NOT watching it if you intend to watch this movie. The trailer has a lot of joke spoilers.

THREADS
    Buddies in India
    Monkey King
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sun Wukong, Nezha, and More Feature in Shanghai Animation Studios' Winter Sports Prom

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Some fan fiction

Journey to the West
    AMERICAN DEMONS

I have not read this but maybe someone here will and review it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

New translation from Julia Lovell

Monkey King: Journey to the West
    Wu Ch'eng-en Julia Lovell (Translator)
    One of the world's greatest fantasy novels and a rollicking classic of Chinese literature, in a sparkling new translation and published in a Clothbound Classics edition.

A shape-shifting trickster on a kung-fu quest for eternal life, Monkey King is one of the most memorable superheroes in world literature. High-spirited and omni-talented, he can transform himself into whatever he chooses and turn each of his body's 84,000 hairs into an army of clones. But his penchant for mischief repeatedly gets him into trouble, and when he raids Heaven's Orchard of Immortal Peaches, the Buddha pins him beneath a mountain. Five hundred years later, Monkey King is finally given a chance to redeem himself: he must protect the pious monk Tripitaka on his journey in search of precious Buddhist sutras that will bring enlightenment to the Chinese empire.

Joined by two other fallen immortals - Pigsy, a rice-loving flying pig, and Sandy, a depressive river-sand monster - Monkey King does battle with Red Boy, Princess Jade-Face, the Monstress Dowager, and all manner of dragons, ogres, wizards and femmes fatales; navigates the perils of Fire-Cloud Cave, the River of Flowing Sand and the Water-Crystal Palace; and is serially captured, lacquered, sautéed, steamed and liquefied - but always hatches an ingenious plan to get himself and his fellow pilgrims out of their latest jam.

Comparable to The Canterbury Tales or Don Quixote, Monkey King is at once a gripping adventure, a comic satire and a spring of spiritual insight. With this new translation by the award-winning Julia Lovell, the irrepressible rogue hero of one of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature has the potential to vault, with his signature cloud-somersault, into the hearts of a whole new generation of readers.
    This Monkey King thread has evolved into a master thread for Journey to the West. Maybe I should change the title some day...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Monkey King

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Netflix

...in 2023? That seems like a long time from now.

May 20, 2021 9:00am PT
    Stephen Chow’s ‘Monkey King,’ Plus ‘Boons and Curses’ and ‘Mech Cadet,’ Coming to Netflix in 2023

By Elaine Low

Netflix
    Three new animated feature films and series from Asian American creators are coming to Netflix in 2023, including Stephen Chow’s “The Monkey King,” starring the voice talents of Jimmy O. Yang, Bowen Yang, Jolie Hoang-Rappaport, Jo Koy, Ron Yuan, Hoon Lee, Stephanie Hsu, Andrew Pang, Andrew Kishino, Jodi Long, James Sie and BD Wong.

“The Monkey King” is inspired by the famous Chinese tale “Journey to the West,” in which a special monkey fights gods, demons, dragons — and his own hubris. The film is executive produced by Chow, with “Over the Moon’s” Peilin Chou and “How to Train Your Dragon 2’s Kendra Haaland producing. Anthony Stacchi (“The Boxtrolls”) is directing.

“The Monkey King has endured for generations with his unique character and spirit,” said Chow. I’m so excited to be collaborating with Tony, Peilin, and everyone at Netflix to bring this joyful tale to audiences worldwide!”

Additionally, “Boons and Curses” and “Mech Cadets” are also hitting Netflix in 2023. From creator and executive producer Jaydeep Hasrajani and series co-executive producer Jake Goldman, “Boons and Curses” is a comedy-action animated series set in the magical land of Maya, where a cosmic war looms. Inspired by ancient South Asia, the adventure comedy centers on a three-foot-tall hero made of butter, who takes on Raj and his monstrous army. The show is described as: “Claiming to be a cursed warrior from another time, Baan may have been transformed into solid ghee but he won’t let that stop him! Teaming up with Rani, a young thief with delusions of grandeur, Baan must use every arrow in his quiver if he wants to defeat the Raj.”

“Growing up, I used to think of the hyphen in ‘Indian-American’ as a separator between two parts of myself,” said Hasrajani. “With ‘Boons and Curses’ I want to turn that hyphen from a wall into a bridge, not just for me, but for anybody who has ever felt that they were caught between two worlds. Using the beauty of South Asian mythology, folktales, and culture, our talented and passionate crew is so eager to share an exciting and hilarious adventure that can resonate with everyone the world over.”

“Mech Cadets” is an animated series based on the Boom! Studios series “Mech Cadet Yu” from Greg Pak and Takeshi Miyazawa, executive produced by Boom! Studios, Japanese studio Polygon Pictures Inc. and Aaron Lam, who also serves as the writer and an executive producer.

Set 50 years in the future, after a terrifying alien species attack, “teenager Stanford Yu works as a janitor at the Sky Corps Military Academy. But he’s only dreamed of one thing his entire life — to pilot a Robo Mech, giant robots from outer-space who came to our aid. When he finally gets his shot, Stanford and his classmates must put aside all personal differences and work together as a team in order to defend humanity against a new invasion of aliens.”

“It is important for us to create stories that exemplify our teams’ diverse voices and art as a studio based in Tokyo, Japan,” said Polygon’s Jack Liang. “As part of our mission ‘to do what no other has done, in unparalleled quality, for all the world to see and enjoy,’ we are ecstatic to have alongside with us, our supervising director, Tohru Patrick Awa, writer and executive producer, Aaron Lam and our talented diverse team of writers, to visualize the wonderful story created by Greg Pak, Takeshi Miyazawa and Boom! Studios. We all are honored to
    work with Netflix, and to tell a story that we hope will inspire future storytellers around the world.”

Said Netflix Animation manager Jane Lee: “These films and series join our incredible slate of animation from world class Asian American creators with different styles, unique voices, and a broad range of stories to tell including Academy Award-nominated film ‘Over the Moon’ from Glen Keane, Gennie Rim and Peilin Chou; ‘City of Ghosts’ from Elizabeth Ito; and upcoming series and films like ‘Centaurworld’ from Megan Nicole Dong; ‘Oni’ from Daisuke “Dice” Tsutsumi; ‘Ghee
    Happy’ from Sanjay Patel; ‘Witch Boy’ from Minkyu Lee; and ‘Steps’ from Alyce Tzue.”
    threads
    The-Monkey-King-animated-feature-film-by-Stephen-Chow
    Monkey-King
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips