Thread: Arizona Mantis

Hybrid View

Arizona Mantis

I've asked this question before and then didn't have access to a computer for a while, I guess the post got cleaned off. Does anyone know where to find a good teacher/school for 7-Star Praying Mantis or another Mantis style in the Phoenix/Tempe area? If not, perhaps some advice how how I can start to learn on my own a little? Are videos garbage etc? Thanks!

Find a good teacher, do not worry about style or system. You will waste your time and money on trying to learn from a video.
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Hello

Hello,
    Mantis is pretty hard to pin down in the Valley, not many teachers.
    Here is one school in the east valley-
    http://martialarts.mysite.com/

If you decide to check out another style Wing Chun is worthwhile as well-
    http://www.mengsofaz.com/

Good luck on your search,
    Matt
    Last edited by osprey3883; 03-01-2008 at 07:20 PM.
    People often choose the comfort of known misery
    to the discomfort of unfamiliar uncertainty -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by osprey3883 View Post
    Hello,
    Mantis is pretty hard to pin down in the Valley, not many teachers.
    Here is one school in the east valley-
    http://martialarts.mysite.com/

If you decide to check out another style Wing Chun is worthwhile as well-
    http://www.mengsofaz.com/

Good luck on yuor search,
    Matt
    How similar is Wing Chun to Mantis? I've always been curious of it but mantis has always been my preference.

Hey djcetra,

I only know of one man who teaches Mantis in Arizona, and he does it as a closed door system (ie: you have to train with him for years before he'll let you do it).

As for wing chun, it's a mixed bag, there's a lot of different types of it out there. I train at the Wing Chun school osprey posted about, and we have a lot of kiu sao (bridge arm) drills and rib bone (Dip Gwat) training that are similar to some southern Mantis stuff I've seen. I'm also good friends with a teacher of a Hakka system here in town that has similarities to SPM. If you want his contact info or more info about any of the places I've mentioned please send me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    Hey djcetra,

I only know of one man who teaches Mantis in Arizona, and he does it as a closed door system (ie: you have to train with him for years before he'll let you do it).
    What's the purpose of this

Sifu Eagar does teach traditional

OK before we drop the subject I have something to say.... first off thank you Shaolin Allan for attempting to correct the falsehoods of Three Harmonies regarding Master Joseph Eagar.

Three Harmonies I know for a fact that you only studied with Joe for 3HRS --ONE TIME and for you to claim that ___
    A___Master Eagar teaches wushu not traditional
    B___That he has no applications based on a single 3 hr training session is just plain ignorant .

Your comments are hurtful and slanderous as they belittle a great teacher who for 30 more than years has shared his knowledge of Chinese Martial arts with the world.

#1......I have a tape of his from more than 10 years ago of mantis where at the end he breaks down all of the fighting applications. And I will post this on you tube with Joe's permission as soon as I can convert it.
    #2......Doesn't teach traditional....ARE YOU NUTS! I have been training with him for more than 4 years and he knows and teaches more tradition forms, chi gung sets and training methods than any other instructor I know of in Arizona. I have forms in my Mizong yi system that are hundreds of years old. Oh and I know the applications of these moves btw.. Now I know we are talking Mantis here but to say he doesn't teach traditional is a blatant lie.

Don't get on these forums and discredit a great teacher based on a SINGLE lesson.
    TRADITIONAL teachers didn't show students applications for a very very long time so if he didn't show you applications maybe its because he realized what kind of person you are and he decided you have not earned the right to learn these things---

Luckily people on this forum aren't dumb enough to believe anything you say about him anyways.

Well actually it was more than just once, but if you say so
    I was making reference to his Mantis. The mantis I was shown was Wushu bro. Period. As I stated previously and will again for those who cannot read, I have no clue about his other arts. Mantis is all I ever saw him do.
    Do I know you? I love it when people tell me they know EXACTLY what and how long, and etc. about me! Post a name dude, quit hiding behind a computer.
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Here's the Rub, BUB!

Im not trying to start a fight a with you but I know you trained with him at Li Gen Hengs one time for about 3 hours if there were other times then tell me where and when?

The comment you made" "Number one Eager is wushu. Period. Unless he has trained traditional stuff in the last 6 or so years since I have seen him. Sorry to burst any bubbles.

"Last 6 years? Dude---Did you try asking him to teach you a more tradition form or system like 7stars?....HMMMMMMMMM? ---You get on here trying to sway someone from a teacher who could really help them grow as a martial artist base on what you ASSUME you know about him.

The fact is is that all Sifu Eagar SHOWED you was "wushu" that doesn't mean he doesn't teach other mantis forms and he most certainly knows and teaches application and if you are still not convinced next time your down in Phoenix stop by 3rd st and Mariposa and He'd be glad to demonstrate then for you. You make it sound like he's all about contemporary wushu ie.....compulsory routines etc....this is very far from the truth perhaps Dynamic Wushu -Kenny Perrez (one of his teachers)-and his students are who you are thinking of. They do more Wushu then traditional.

And to answer you Im not hiding and no I don't know you personally. My name is Jason if you are in Phoenix again please stop by our school and Master Eagar will be more than happy to demonstrate TRADITIONAL MANTIS applications for you.
    If you didnt want all this backlash you could have said this instead

---

" All of the forms I learned from Master Eagar were wushu mantis forms. He did not show me any traditional forms or applications."

Thats the facts not your assumptions.

Well Jason, I guess you don't "know" much then, because I have not been around Mr. Eager in over 6 years, so obviously you were not there..... but anyhoo.
    We are on a Mantis forum, about Mantis in Arizona, so sorry for presuming we were talking about Mr. Eager's Mantis. I stated my experience and observations. Sorry you do not like them. But again, you weren't there.
    If you prefer I can write the sentence you have so nicely provided (minus the master part) if it makes you feel better.
    Thank you also for the invite. I doubt I will be back in Phoenix for anything, but if ever I am I have many better things to do kid. No need to get all ruffled. I stated my experience with Mr. Eager. I even said he is good at what he does. If he is the "master" you claim he is I am sure he is comfortable moving on in life regardless of my opinion of him (which is good).
    Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

I think three was saying that he didnt know the guy taught traditional mantis...from his experience. Probably didnt mean any harm...his communication skills may be a bit lacking. It is also easy to take things the wrong way on a forum.

I would like to see some video footage of someone fighting using authentic tang lang. Not drills, or slapping around. Something in a Muay Thai, Lei Tei or mma format....where you have to use your skills or you will be hurt. I havnt seen any posted on a forum or anywhere else. At least nothing I would say would make it stand out as mantis.

I guess my point would be what does it matter if apps are taught if the the instructor has never tested his skills? once again not with drills or safe sparring scenarios. If they did where they using something that was mantis?

So If I say someone isnt teaching the real deal I should be able to produce video of myself fighting the real deal demonstrating what mantis is. If I cant then I am probably dancing around like everyone else. But really think you are doing it because we can talk apps.

The reason the muay thai and bjj guys get respect is because they go in there and fight using there methods over and over again. The proof is their for everyone to see. Its not the case with mantis.

If I produced a vid of myself fighting most would not recognize it as 100% tang lang. I have to say at this point in my life it would not be pretty

So, I am trying not to be judgmental on other people or styles...because I feel I fall short myself.