Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The youngest GrandMaster of WCK.

The youngest GrandMaster of WCK.

Thumbs up

I inherit the Woo Fai Ching Wing Chun System at age 43… I’m technically a Grand Master of that system just of last years; I just don’t use the title…

How old is that guy?

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-21-2008 at 07:11 AM.

Interesting wooden dummy design!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Interesting wooden dummy design!

The lower the dummy the stronger his techniques will become, by training to have body unity through a low center of gravity… This way you can fight with structure alone, with “ying lik sao” and without force at all, and just about every move that you make, will almost become a pin or trap…

I was also told to lower my dummy...

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-21-2008 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    The lower the dummy the stronger his techniques will become, by training to have body unity through a low center of gravity… This way you can fight with structure alone, with “ying lik sao” and without force at all, and just about every move that you make, will almost become a pin or trap…

I was also told to lower my dummy...

Ali Rahim.
    Its not just low, the arms are different!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Its not just low, the arms are different!

I just noticed that, maybe someone could mention why the different spec on that particular dummy…

Ali Rahim.

Angles and gates

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I see the Jong as a protractor, so having a lower dummy where outstretched arms are at your chest rather than close(r) to your face...

...would mean habbit actions were lower than where one would need to apply them when someone tries to smack you in the face (being higher) in real life.

Having it lower can have bennifits to stance and COG sure, but there are negitive bi products that one must be aware of IMO.

Its to low for me, im 6"1.

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Hello,

I am afriad I am with Drew on this one. When told to lower the dummy the shape remains the same, protractor effect previously referred too. Now if you train to lower your stance while working the dummy, and force this by lowering the dummy hight, you will see improvement in both balance and power. However, by changing the dummy arms as shown in this clip, really seems to be something other than WC, imho.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Hello,

I am afriad I am with Drew on this one. When told to lower the dummy the shape remains the same, protractor effect previously referred too. Now if you train to lower your stance while working the dummy, and force this by lowering the dummy hight, you will see improvement in both balance and power. However, by changing the dummy arms as shown in this clip, really seems to be something other than WC, imho.
    No reason to be afraid, mane, I agree with you also on the position of the arms. I prefer the classical design to the Muk Jong. It would be interesting to hear differences of opinion on the hieght. I think this will come down to a Chunners interpretaion of distancing and bridging and how much chum one wants to develope in overall structure.
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

Idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan View Post
    No reason to be afraid, mane, I agree with you also on the position of the arms. I prefer the classical design to the Muk Jong. It would be interesting to hear differences of opinion on the hieght. I think this will come down to a Chunners interpretaion of distancing and bridging and how much chum one wants to develope in overall structure.

As an afterthought maybe this could be a worthy topic for another thread?

~Cg~ (in anti-hijacking mode)
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。

My two cents worth on dummy hight

Let's see if I can articulate this properly. Lowering the dummy will/should force you to lower your stance but your biomechanics will be all wrong in an actual fight situation. i.e. low stance and effectively a low guard (because your training was done on an artificially low dummy). My advice would be to train on a normal hight dummy in a lower stance if that is what you want. Then you will be used to doing the techniques at the right angle.

For the record, the GM in the clip doesn't appear to be low in his stance he is, in fact reaching down to the arms. Maybe the original stand on his dummy broke and we are all theorising about an artifact of makeshift equipment?
    Last edited by Museumtech; 02-21-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Dummy from another Mummy?

I could be wrong but arent there some southern Chinese arts like Choy Li Fut that may have used a different design other than the classical Jong? There seems to be a lot of them(jong variations) on the NET.
    Last edited by Graychuan; 02-21-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan View Post
    I could be wrong but arent there some southern Chinese arts like Choy Li Fut that may have used a different design other than the classical Jong? There seems to be a lot of them(jong variations) on the NET.
    That would make alot of sence cause other arts have jumping and major bending of the waist etc etc in the application of techs which would be better suited with a different design

On the other side of the coin, most humans are represented with the Classical VT shape. Stright up and down body, two arms and one leg foward when advancing.

On the point of calling oneself a GM. I personally dont agree with the term, especially now days with so many practitioners of our style....

IMO Gm Ip himself didnt just coin the term so he could be a big shot.... it was started by his friends students and peers whom felt him worthy of such a title....
    One of the biggest aspects of such a title IMO would be experience in using, as well as knowledge of the/a system...so someone of such a young age is not eligible.

Just my opinion.

DREW
    Last edited by Liddel; 02-21-2008 at 09:59 PM.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

[QUOTE=Museumtech;844042]Let's see if I can articulate this properly. Lowering the dummy will/should force you to lower your stance but your biomechanics will be all wrong in an actual fight situation. i.e. low stance and effectively a low guard (because your training was done on an artificially low dummy). My advice would be to train on a normal hight dummy in a lower stance if that is what you want. Then you will be used to doing the techniques at the right angle.QUOTE]

Hello,

Not to nitpick but how would being in a lower stance with the dummy hight staying high provide the techniques at the right angle. Would'nt you now be reaching up to the arms, etc.

I dissagree that a lower stance teaches incorrect body mechanics. A low stance is for the purpose of training and if one can move and apply techniques from a lower base, provided one still retains structure in relation to the stance, then one will be much stronger from a raised or higher stance. One will find that moving will be much easier than from the lower stance and you should see some nice benefits from training in a lower stance. Why would the biomechanics be all wrong?
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Clarification requested

Dave, perhaps I misunderstood/misinterpreted some of the earlier posting. I am constantly reminded to "lower my stance" in class as I will develop more power from a lower stance. That is the power behind a strike coming from a low stance will be greater than one from a higher stance. This is what I assumed was being discussed earlier on in the post. Hence my allusion to fighting in the same stance that you train in.

Am I right in that you are talking about practicing in a stance much lower than you would actually fight with? If this is so then I stand corrected.

Peter