Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The youngest GrandMaster of WCK.

Hi Peter,

Yes I mean to train with a lower stance. For example if the upper dummy arms in line with your nipple and the dummy were lowerd a few inches then your stance should try to remain in perspective and be lowered so as to still be in line with the nipple.
    Hope we are on the same page.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by ironfists View Post
    'Grandmaster' from a Leung Ting Ving Tsun ranking perspective by looking at the legwork and uniform. LT does use this title in his gradings and personally I find nothing wrong with that since he is his own entity, regardless of what others may think about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I inherit the Woo Fai Ching Wing Chun System at age 43… I’m technically a Grand Master of that system just of last years; I just don’t use the title…
    Being a 'Founder' or Sijo of a system does not automatically mean you are a Grandmaster or Sigung imo. I'm a Sijo myself, but with regards to Grandmaster it really should be taken literally imho. If you have produced a Sifu who has ALSO produced a Sifu, then I think the Grandmaster title sits well.

My son, who is 6, was taught to refer to my Sifu as Sigung by me as a sign of respect even though he is not a WCK student. I guess it all depends on how you view your link with your teacher.

Perhaps someone will be able to tell me how the Japanese do this, as I know that Sensei is equivalent to a Sifu, then there's others as you go up the Dan scales like Shihan & Hanshi etc. Does anyone know what they mean?? I'd presume these titles are quite similar...

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    see the Jong as a protractor, so having a lower dummy where outstretched arms are at your chest rather than close(r) to your face...
    On the Dummy note, I've always been told that the height of your dummy should reflect what you want to get out of it. Of course there's a preference to have it personalized to your exact height, but if your Sifu is shorter than you are he may well ask you to lower it! The Wooden 'Man' should be approached in this fashion imho. If all your training partners are 6ft, there would be no point in having a 5ft dummy and vice versa. Also a low dummy was usually used for Southern Fist systems who also utilize larger/lower stancework. I do the same when I want to drill some empty-hand pole techniques...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Being a 'Founder' or Sijo of a system does not automatically mean you are a Grandmaster or Sigung imo. I'm a Sijo myself, but with regards to Grandmaster it really should be taken literally imho. If you have produced a Sifu who has ALSO produced a Sifu, then I think the Grandmaster title sits well.
    Well Thank You!!!

My teacher has been teaching for decades, I started learning from him in my pre-teens, when my father passed away he adopted me as his grandson… He learnt from Yip Man himself and Leung Sheung…

It is my sifu system and his way of fighting, he did not want to use the names of his deceased friends or comrades to launch his way of teaching… He taught at least 30 in which got cut down to 8 students there in Michigan, I was the only one left, all the way to his very last class…

One day I met a man, who said he could give me a wing chun legacy and that his system is the original or the best, if I would only follow him as his student…

When I took that back to my sifu, he said; “you already have a legacy”, 8 years later I became a master and sole heir of his system when he got sick and his wife made him stop teaching…

Then I was told four years later that I must carry his system on… If I don’t then it will surely die out… I have well over a hundred students, and have over 15 sifus and some also have instructors under them that’s under my teaching and I have promoted two masters next to my rank, and my students here in Louisville have met them both, and other sifus in the ‘Woo Fai Ching’ system as well...

I’ve been teaching for over 20 years…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-22-2008 at 09:40 AM.

Sometimes I jong slow sometimes I jong quick...

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Hi Peter,

Yes I mean to train with a lower stance. For example if the upper dummy arms in line with your nipple and the dummy were lowerd a few inches then your stance should try to remain in perspective and be lowered so as to still be in line with the nipple.
    Hope we are on the same page.

My thoughts exactly, mane!

Good post.
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

As far as the 'Youngest' Grandmaster goes, has anyone heard of this gent??

http://www.wingtjun.nl/Yip_Man-Wing_...d=22&Itemid=42

There was a Facebook group that promoted him as Leung Tings youngest Grandmaster (at the time!)

Ali - As always, I'm humbled by your personal story. It's funny though, as Lee Shing was known 'very well' by Leung Sheung (apparently) as they both were in the Restaurant Workers Unions and trained with Ip Man at similar times in HK.

Strange how one becomes 'known' and the other decides to stay in the shadows...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    As far as the 'Youngest' Grandmaster goes, has anyone heard of this gent??

http://www.wingtjun.nl/Yip_Man-Wing_...d=22&Itemid=42

Strange how one becomes 'known' and the other decides to stay in the shadows...
    You’ll be surprised on how many of those guys that are out there… Like my sifu he didn’t teach openly most of the time and he never needed the money and had no ideal that his pass surrounding would become historical, when he came to America he just lived a normal life, because to him his life was always normal and nothing special, so why should he pretend to be something other then himself?

I believe that he had no intention on getting famous or known… He just took what he had learnt and made it his own, while passing it down to others, hence, the “Woo Fai Ching” system.

Before you can know anyone, they would have to introduce themselves to you, and give you some type conversation, especially if they want to be known…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-26-2008 at 11:43 AM.