Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nandu, ie- the concept of difficulty...

MightyB,
    What belt level do you compete at?

The beauty of judo is it retains the crazy explosiveness of wrestling plus the more static ground work.
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by mantis108 View Post
    which brings to another question... Do you believe that learning another system means just learning more forms or perhaps learning the way they do their forms? Growth means collections of forms or the skills to do the forms?

Mantis108
    Well- I'd say at the level of master- styles are nothing more than a collection of forms.

Style ceases to exist- external becomes internal- everything becomes relative. Fighting is reduced to Shuai, Na, Ti, Da - nothing more. There is no separation. All arts become one- therefore- if you claim to do a "style". What is it that you claim?

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    MightyB,
    What belt level do you compete at?

The beauty of judo is it retains the crazy explosiveness of wrestling plus the more static ground work.

Brown/Black- I'm just an Ikkyu. I've only been doing Judo for 3 years (started for my 30th birthday), but I started Mantis in 92 and had a great base before I joined Judo.

Kung Fu legs and balance help tremendously. I've competed and took silver at yellow belt fighting at -81 KG.
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    sometimes a hut is enough for some when others prefer to build a mansion!
    Nice point!

But we do need those 'mansion' builders so they can pass on their knowledge to those who only want to build huts right.

I think nandu is an interesting concept. I don't like watching most wushu (besides some of the compulsories, which unfortunately are not featured in competitions, and the Chaquan forms) Most of it is too jumpy jumpy runny runny spinny kicky for my taste. A couple cool tricks are all fine and dandy, and there are plenty of traditional forms that are pretty darn difficult; but If forms were soup, most Nandu is like a bowl filled with salt and cayenne pepper with a couple drops of broth. It's interesting, and... creative, but not something I'd enjoy.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators