Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nandu, ie- the concept of difficulty...

All you would end up doing is removing any individual flavor from the performance and awarding the medals to the best robot of the group.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    I see.

But still, there is really no pizazz in fighting.

Left hook, right straight, dump 'em on his head.
    You've obviously never heard of Ehsan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noPRJ...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    All you would end up doing is removing any individual flavor from the performance and awarding the medals to the best robot of the group.
    you may have a point- what about setting criteria for difficulty levels such as length- type of movement, etc.?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    One of the greatest martial artists I'll ever have the pleasure to know, Chung Ho Yin, was able to be humble enough to learn Eagle Claw after he was already a renowned Sifu of 7* Praying Mantis Kung Fu. The essence of life, of growth, is to always be a student.

You can't think you know everything- it's self limiting. Always seek out those with skill so that you can continue to learn. This is the essence of growth- of being a martial artist.

---

Or you can stay in your own little box in your own little world...
    My impression is that this is what you are suggesting:

But to change a form so that it is better for judging criteria, solely on aesthetics, is not growth in my opinion.
    Doing a solid kung fu form properly with all the mechanics and alignment, power generation, etc, is as difficult if not more so than doing flashy spinning cartwheels and handstands.

Do we grow to impress judges? Or grow to further our combative skills?
    which brings to another question... Do you believe that learning another system means just learning more forms or perhaps learning the way they do their forms? Growth means collections of forms or the skills to do the forms?

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Quote Originally Posted by mantis108 View Post
    My impression is that this is what you are suggesting:

which brings to another question... Do you believe that learning another system means just learning more forms or perhaps learning the way they do their forms? Growth means collections of forms or the skills to do the forms?

Mantis108
    it's about making traditional forms competition more fun and exciting for elite athletes and their fans.

Growth is good. I've often told people that once you are good at one style, say black belt or a good 5 years in. Go get a white belt and start something new. It will humble you and that is what I did with Judo and later on in life hopefully I will don another white belt and get my azz handed to me and learn something..
    From my experience I recon it takes a lot longer than 5 years or a black belt to be 'good' in a system. But then it depends on hour many hours of quality training you have done in that 5 years with a good teacher.

IMHO the typical student, training say twice a week with their teacher plus once or twice a week on their own, after 5 years they would probably have a strong understanding of the fundamentals. Realize im generalizing here but too often I see people get to around the 5 year mark only to leave the art and start something else. At 5 years, they are usually starting to study the system in some depth still perfecting and polishing previously learn't material.

It also depends on how high the ceiling of knowledge and ability is in your school as well. I know one TCMA school here in Wellington that has students who have trained with their Sifu solely for 20 years so the guys who have just clocked in 5-7 years (black t shirt level) are like 'freshmen' who get very 'humbled' whenever they have training with their sihings. I also know of schools around here where the most seniour student has been training for 5 years. In that case, it's the teacher that does humbles the student:-) Of course some schools have not been in existence for 20 years. That's also why having a large kung fu family (sibak's/ sisooks etc) can be advantageous to smaller/ younger schools....hmm i've seem to have digressed!

For Chan Da-Wei

I'm a little curious- Ummm, forgive my ignorance, but- could you explain the spirit of the Chin Wu association? You know- why it was created, etc...

ok- so I was being a d--k

I'm a little curious- Ummm, forgive my ignorance, but- could you explain the spirit of the Chin Wu association? You know- why it was created, etc...
    anyway- my point is that this happened before. The Chin Wu did it- there are actually standard sets like Goon Le Kune, Jeet Kune, Sub E Lo Tan Tui, etc that all members or affiliates know--- none of them are all that difficult IMO-- well Jeet Kune's kind'a cool and flashy- but you see where I'm going. You have different styles and different masters, all agreeing on some type of format and standard. Why can't this be done now with better forms?

Quote Originally Posted by Chan Da-Wei View Post
    From my experience I recon it takes a lot longer than 5 years or a black belt to be 'good' in a system. But then it depends on hour many hours of quality training you have done in that 5 years with a good teacher.

IMHO the typical student, training say twice a week with their teacher plus once or twice a week on their own, after 5 years they would probably have a strong understanding of the fundamentals. Realize im generalizing here but too often I see people get to around the 5 year mark only to leave the art and start something else. At 5 years, they are usually starting to study the system in some depth still perfecting and polishing previously learn't material.

It also depends on how high the ceiling of knowledge and ability is in your school as well. I know one TCMA school here in Wellington that has students who have trained with their Sifu solely for 20 years so the guys who have just clocked in 5-7 years (black t shirt level) are like 'freshmen' who get very 'humbled' whenever they have training with their sihings. I also know of schools around here where the most seniour student has been training for 5 years. In that case, it's the teacher that does humbles the student:-) Of course some schools have not been in existence for 20 years. That's also why having a large kung fu family (sibak's/ sisooks etc) can be advantageous to smaller/ younger schools....hmm i've seem to have digressed!
    If after five years you are not good, meaning a variety of things, then you should probably find somewhere else to train anyway. By good I mean competent and with some skill. Usually a black belt means you've earned something and arrived at something...even if just a step in the right direction. It's also considered a marker of achievement and skill in a system (unless you buy the belt). Often people at this level become driven by ego and nothing stamps that down better than doning a white belt and realizing how little you know.
    I agree that many skills take a long time to ingrain and develop...but the basics of combat and fighting should be instilled fairly well within a couple years.

For instance, a judo player or boxer with 5 years should have some solid skills. I don't think there should be a difference for kung fu.
    A unique snowflake

Thumbs up have to agree

If after five years you are not good, meaning a variety of things, then you should probably find somewhere else to train anyway. By good I mean competent and with some skill. Usually a black belt means you've earned something and arrived at something...even if just a step in the right direction. It's also considered a marker of achievement and skill in a system (unless you buy the belt). Often people at this level become driven by ego and nothing stamps that down better than doning a white belt and realizing how little you know.
    I agree that many skills take a long time to ingrain and develop...but the basics of combat and fighting should be instilled fairly well within a couple years.

For instance, a judo player or boxer with 5 years should have some solid skills. I don't think there should be a difference for kung fu.
    How true it is.

I agree that many skills take a long time to ingrain and develop...but the basics of combat and fighting should be instilled fairly well within a couple years..
    Agree.....and as I said, after five years, the basics should be to a good standard. But then why would you want to start learning a new art (chasing a new rabbit) if you've only got good basics in a system? Seems premature in my view. The foundations are in but you've left to start working on another site before you even built the first house.

I think the issue is that while learning a new art you continue to practice the first one you learned.
    For instance, I did a year of very in-depth study of tai chi...about 2hrs a night 7 days a week, literally. Although I do not practice this anymore, the mechanics and body knowledge is ingrained in me.
    And sometimes the circumstances are beyond our control and we must move on.

Besides, it's all about the basics, right? And to use your house analogy, sometimes a hut is enough for some when others prefer to build a mansion!
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by Chan Da-Wei View Post
    Agree.....and as I said, after five years, the basics should be to a good standard. But then why would you want to start learning a new art (chasing a new rabbit) if you've only got good basics in a system? Seems premature in my view. The foundations are in but you've left to start working on another site before you even built the first house.
    This is when most people look for complimentary systems- it's not so much as chasing a new art- but bringing insite back to your original. For example- if you're a hard external stylist- it would be wise to compliment it with a soft-internal style. Or, if you're a striker- maybe it's time to take up grappling along with your striking style. What you want to do is compliment whatever it is that you're specializing in with a good taste of what it is that you might face.

This is when most people look for complimentary systems- it's not so much as chasing a new art- but bringing insite back to your original. For example- if you're a hard external stylist- it would be wise to compliment it with a soft-internal style. Or, if you're a striker- maybe it's time to take up grappling along with your striking style. What you want to do is compliment whatever it is that you're specializing in with a good taste of what it is that you might face.
    I agree 100%.
    That's pretty much where I'm at.
    At a certain point you look at what you know and realize that maybe only half of it you understand or can apply and the idea of adding more of the same seems redundant. I know I've only got a little bit of knowledge from the kung fu I've studied but I train my hardest to understand the basics and the concepts and to make it work for me.
    With Judo, which I've recently started training in, I'm exposed to a whole other world of combat and it excites me and definitely compliments my kung fu.
    A unique snowflake

I understand 100% Winter Palm- I'm a Judo nut myself. For whatever reason, Judo fell out of favor in the US and that's too bad 'cuz it's the schiznit of competitive fighting arts. You learn Judo- you can do Sambo, BJJ, Jujitsu, and Shuai Chiao no problem- I got a good shot at being the #1 Judo guy for 160 lbs in Michigan next month (not really saying much- kind'a like being the smartest guy on the short bus if you know what I mean).