Thread: Difference between TCM and Buddhist Medicine

Difference between TCM and Buddhist Medicine

I understand that there are some differences between the Traditional Chinese Medicine practiced in the mainland today and the Buddhist Monks medicine that has been passed down through various kung fu lineages.

Can anyone tell me some of the differences between TCM and Chinese Buddhist medicine?

Please let me hear from those of you who know.

The difference between TCM and traditional Buddhist / Chinese medicine is like the difference between contemporary wushu and family styles of traditional kungfu. TCM was Mao Zedong's attempt to formalize and westernize Chinese traditional medicine. As such, the approach in TCM is more akin to western medicine - using similar diseases and descriptors of symptoms. Unfortunately, much of the 'magic' of TCM was also lost during this time.

I'd say the main difference id that Buddhist medicine still uses a more 'energetic' approach - for example, add eagle claw to your jow to strengthen your own 'claws'. Just read a copy of the Huang di Nei Jing (yellow emperor's medical classic) and then follow it with some passages from CAM (Chinese acupuncture and moxibustion) from Beijing - the two texts can be like night and day - In the Nei Jing, there is mention of 'spirit', and the myriad energetic problems that can arise, whereas CAM is more reductionist in its approach.

As for Buddhist medicine in particular, I only know they still use obscure ingredients in the materia medica. Perhaps some of our other esteemed forum members can shine some light on the question.

peace

herb ox

who am I (throwback)

hhhmmmmm......

While I've never heard of Buddhist medicine I would assume it is probably vegetarian, which TCM is certainly not

Animal things in TCM
    Deer Tails, Worms (dilong), Locusts, Different sea shells (this would probably be okay to the buddhist though), flying squierll (sp?) poop (wulingzi)
    Last edited by bodhitree; 03-19-2008 at 09:06 AM.
    Bless you

The difference is the C in TCM

There are many schools of Buddhist medicine, so it's a much broader field. I imagine the question was targeted at Chinese Buddhist medicine. Shaolin is particularly renown for this; it's one of the things that I have been trying to spotlight in my research - see my Shaolin Special 2005 cover story, Shaolin Trinity: Shaolin Monk Shi Dejian Discusses the Three Treasures.

But it's not all about China. Even in that article, I allude to other Buddhist medicine schools, like the Tibetan Medicine Buddha and the connection of Thai Massage to Buddha's personal physician Jivaka. I've heard of other schools, particularly connections to Aryuveda and Hindu medicine traditions, but Tibet's and Thailand's are the most prominent in the west. I've even heard of Buddhist connections to Reiki and other healing systems.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I wonder if there is any historical evidence as to when they started?