Thread: Another Grandmaster of WCK

Hybrid View

Another Grandmaster of WCK

"From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

If we westernize the Si-To relationship into the master/apprentice paradigm in trade and craft, and we accept the usage of the parent to grand parent progression, then sifu being master, sigung (sifu's sifu) would be grand-master (and sijo would be ancestral master).

If we westernize to the master/slave paradigm, in language (and worse, behavior), then we need startling intervention, asap.

So, using westernized terms like master or grandmaster, while counter to the familial convention of Chinese martial arts, and more than a wee bit pretentious in common usage (like a judge calling himself "My Honor"), could be useful in an archaic or commercial marketing sense.

For most, I think sifu, sigung, etc., properly and familial-ly expressed, is probably better karma.

That guy was a nut! not in a good way
    Go hard or go home or some where else up to you

http://therandomandthefit.blogspot.com.au/

OTT man ~!

"without any shadow of a doubt he is the pinnacle of the martial arts in the entire world"
    Gotta love his devotion.....

Id love to set a match between him and GSP or Chuck just to set the record straight on that one LOL.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

the mind boggles................

Well, if that's not a joke - I don't know what is.

Too funny. Love the Chi Blasts and when he throws the guy in the water.

Kenton
    Last edited by couch; 02-23-2008 at 09:20 AM.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Making of Master 3

Confidence and perseverance plays a major roll in your development; don’t get distracted, master the level that you’re on and nothing more… In this twisted world today that we live in, people are judging some base on what they think one can’t do or understand… In other words it’s not how good you are, but how good one can become…

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    … In other words it’s not how good you are, but how good one can become…
    Power and the Will = Vision?!

I was once asked to make a name card for a Chinese Wing Chun Kuen teacher. He'd trained under his teacher for a dozen or so years, and after moving away, continued training and teaching for two dozen more.

I set up the card under the name "Sifu" (in Chinese and English).

Upon reviewing the draft, the gentleman requested a change. He wanted a different set of characters used, which meant "transmitter"

He said "My sifu is still alive, and so he is the sifu, I am merely a transmitter of sifu's knowldge".

30+ years in and he was a merely "transmitter", yet in the West we have magazine after webpage of nascent "Masters", "Grandmasters", "Demi Gods" and more...

Rene,

I'm a coach. My guys are part of a team. My goal is to get them better and get them to be able to coach, so they can help all of us get better.

I have no use for 'master'.

Andrew

Hi Rene, can you direct me to or email me the Chinese character for transmitter? I could only find transmit in my dictionary. I like the term coach that Ernie uses.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by reneritchie View Post
    I was once asked to make a name card for a Chinese Wing Chun Kuen teacher. He'd trained under his teacher for a dozen or so years, and after moving away, continued training and teaching for two dozen more.

I set up the card under the name "Sifu" (in Chinese and English).

Upon reviewing the draft, the gentleman requested a change. He wanted a different set of characters used, which meant "transmitter"

He said "My sifu is still alive, and so he is the sifu, I am merely a transmitter of sifu's knowldge".

30+ years in and he was a merely "transmitter", yet in the West we have magazine after webpage of nascent "Masters", "Grandmasters", "Demi Gods" and more...

....and unfortunately these "Masters","Grand Masters" & so on, are Transmitters too, that is, transmitters of many of the misunderstanding and misconceptions that one sees in the MA world in general and sometimes even in forums such as these.

It is a sad state of affairs and where and when will it end?

Very good post.