Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Grandmaster of WCK

The Ultimate Grandmaster

A true Master knows himself… Humble is the man that can hand over his legacy, especially when he is no longer able to perform physically, and watch something that has develop or turn into 20 folds of his imagination, and that shouldn’t diminish his important roll over all; as being simply the creator of the system, after all its named after himself…

My sifu never wanted me to drag him around at his age, like so many do in this business, trying to save face to the rest of the world on how they are and whom they are… My sifu always told me, “If you are good enough, you will never need me”, and so far I really haven’t (no more then three occasions)… When its over its over, don’t fool yourself, unless you’re hungry for the money or the prestige, to each his own…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-27-2008 at 03:27 PM.

I prefer the term "coach" as well. It just fits better with what is expected of a martial arts instructor in the west. How am I treating my students any different than the local high school or college wrestling coach would? He is teaching them a physical activity, guiding their training and conditioning, and offering advice about living. I don't buy into the that whole "family" thing where you have to prove yourself worthy, take on an "adopted" oriental name, and swear undying allegiance for all time. I don't think most westerners buy into that kind of thing either. But the paradigm we are all used to in the west is that of a Coach-Athlete relationship. That relationship can produce a life-long bond, but it isn't necessarily expected to.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Hi Rene, can you direct me to or email me the Chinese character for transmitter? I could only find transmit in my dictionary. I like the term coach that Ernie uses.
    Thanks Phil ,,, but I can take credit for it got the Idea from 2 sources
    1. WSL considered himself a coach [ as a coach serves a purpose to prepare 'players/fighters'] not just sit on his a$$
    2. My old boxing coach =) he made it a point to put in as much work as his fighters and never got fat or sloppy to this day he is still in great shape and still works with his fighters hands on and is way past his years of hard sparring ,,, but still packs a punch and moves nice

the term master seems waaaaay to self involved ,,, and presumptions as if there is some finish line to the learning process ,, your always a student the day that you stop being a '' humble '' student is the day you start to go backwards ,,,,, so there is no '' magic level of enlightenment '' leave that for the Shaw brothers =)

just like the idea of masters or GGM and all that very outdated and full of pumped up egos BS stories and heavy serving of Fantasy Fu

best to leave the masters for there sheep empty minds that need to be '' mastered'' and told what to think and do and believe
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

I looked up Master in my Cantonese dictionary and one of the defintions was Sifu. Though I'm considered a Master, I introduce myself as Sifu.
    I was taught that a master possesses a profound understanding of his art. I have also come across sifus that are excellent exponents of their arts, but refuse to call themselves masters, and this is not because they prefer to use a different term, but rather because, they know that they are NOT there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    ,,,and told what to think and do and believe
    The same as a football coach does, a boxing coach and a baseball coach ect, and most of all a school teacher also… The only deference are the titles…

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    The same as a football coach does, a boxing coach and a baseball coach ect, and most of all a school teacher also… The only deference are the titles…

Ali Rahim.
    not really ,, truth comes from being an individual on the field or in the ring hands on experience is the '' master'' ,,, coaches produce thinkers and individuals with free expression '' self guided ''

masters produce D@ck riders , and parrots that just spew hand me down experience and the occasional cult mentality LOL

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

No one caters to me but only with hard work, I’m nothing special so I will never allow that to happen, I’m following my sifu example, when the point guard hogs the ball about 9 out of 10 times, he will blow the game for the team, and were I’m from coaches nearly always break the rules (just like most practitioners wing chun, instant gratification) to only make themselves look good … So what about the team?

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-27-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HardWork8 View Post
    I was taught that a master possesses a profound understanding of his art. I have also come across sifus that are excellent exponents of their arts, but refuse to call themselves masters, and this is not because they prefer to use a different term, but rather because, they know that they are NOT there yet.
    We have a grading structure which requires a Master to be tested on all the previous levels, write a Thesis, and even contribute something to the system
    which does promote "thinkers". At present there ae three of us in TWC. So I am Master level in our system yet I still learn.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Ernie- nailed it.

Once again, 'coach' and 'team'. At the end of the day, those of us who coach and build people as part of a team, treat those we train as equals and partners, will deal with far fewer weird daddy issues than people in the Chinese language and funny pajamas game, and, hour for hour training, will get better, 'cos our guys will coach us back, try to hit us, and not let our bad habits sit.

Andrew

'10% of what I'm telling you is probably wrong; when you figure out what it is, please let me know'- statement I always make in the first few practices.

We have a grading structure which requires a Master to be tested on all the previous levels, write a Thesis, and even contribute something to the system
    which does promote "thinkers". At present there ae three of us in TWC. So I am Master level in our system yet I still learn.
    I understand. I suppose it is just the approach. In my school's way of thinking one becomes an expert first and THEN one may or may not become a "master".

Eventhough, one will generally need to be qualified (by others) as an expert,but to become a master one will need to get there by oneself and he or she will know once he or she gets there, no one need to tell you that you have profound knowledge of your art, because the fact that you do, makes you aware of that reality.

As I said, it is a different and maybe a more traditional approach, but it is valid all the same.

Quick fix

And if one does not listen to his coach that is in the corner when he is fighting, he will take a lost just about every time he fights, because his coach sees things that he can’t see and the coach’s experience can very much help bring in a victory…

You turn you back on your coach then you turn on the whole game plan... And if one half a$$ listens from the start, then where is the game plan, sound like seminar babies to me...

It’s just a title and nothing more ones skills should speak for it all… The tilte shouldn't make the person good or bad

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-27-2008 at 04:28 PM.

And if one does not listen to his coach that is in the corner when he is fighting, he will take a lost just about every time he fights, because his coach sees things that he can’t see and the coach’s experience can very much help bring in a victory…

You turn you back on your coach then you turn on the whole game plan... And if one half a$$ listens from the start, then where is the game plan, sound like seminar babies to me...

Ali Rahim.

A good coach would never let you '' think '' you know how to fight ,, he would prepare
    you for the experience ,,,, because every ''good/real'' coach nows experience is the only real teacher ,,,,
    all a coach can do is help expose you to the experiences '' He'' is aware of ,,
    he should also send you out to seek the experience of others if he really cares about your growth ,,, more then a ego hand job or $

winning and losing are just parts of the whole

But most TMA are to busy playing dress up and pretend ,,, with funky little titles

they lack the honesty of a coach

A good coach is one who helps guides his fighter through his experience and not just set him lose with no hands on directions when fighting, and it’s a lot of those guys with funky little titles that can really kick a$$…

Coaches are people to, they lie and cheat also… Most coaches are known for that…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-27-2008 at 04:40 PM.

A good coach is one who helps guides his fighter through his experience and not just set him lose with no hands on directions when fighting, and it’s a lot of those guys with funky little titles that can really kick a$$…

Coaches are people to, they lie and cheat also…

Ali Rahim.
    it's why you need a solid moral compass and never buy into any mans BS and never suck up to there BS stories and propaganda

as they say '' a fool and his $ will soon part '' and '' a sucka born every minute ''

world is full of stupid people that want to be told what to do ,,,,,trick is not to be one of chumps

look for the red flags ,, terms like '' master'' are a huge one

edit ,,,, and most Sifu's and masters are known for being crooks chasing hookers, doing drugs and gambling LOL whats your point
    Last edited by Ernie; 02-27-2008 at 04:44 PM.

When one takes the time to defy that a coach has more morals then a master, isn’t that propaganda also, LOL, LOL?

I know of a whole lot of coaches being crooks chasing hookers, doing drugs and gambling just in high school and collage circuits alone, which is all over the news as we speak today... So what’s your point?

No title can defy a person’s personality...

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-27-2008 at 04:54 PM.