Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Another Grandmaster of WCK

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    When one takes the time to defy that a coach has more morals then a master, isn’t that propaganda also, LOL, LOL?

I know of a whole lot of coaches being crooks chasing hookers, doing drugs and gambling just in high school and collage circuits alone, which is all over the news as we speak today... So what’s your point?

Ali Rahim.
    you need to find new friends
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

I have to many as we speak, thanks but no thanks…

No title can defy a person’s personality, talk about your propaganda...

Ali Rahim.

I have to many as we speak, thanks but no thanks…

No title can defy a person’s personality...

Ali Rahim.

a man will be judged by the truth of his words and actions

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

Propaganda

My words and action are on point in this case, and if one wishes to judge me then so be it, but that will never stop my words and action, and I see you made it into a battle with name calling and all, rather then having an intelligent forum conversation, and that speaks in volumes “coach”…

And most coaches’ that I know reacts just like that

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-27-2008 at 05:28 PM.

My words and action are on point in this case, and if one wishes to judge me then so be it, but that will never stop my words and action, and I see you made it into battle with name calling and all, rather then having an intelligent forum conversation, and that speaks in volumes “coach”…

And most coaches’ that know reacts just like that…

Ali Rahim.
    cool what ever makes you happy

my honesty and truth have never been doubted ,,,, on this forum or anywhere else ,,not everyone can say the same now can they

I wish you the best of luck ''walking in the masters footsteps ''
    Last edited by Ernie; 02-27-2008 at 05:21 PM.

Oh it was in doubt, but like my sifu said: knowledge and skill will defy all…
    No one here can make or break me, so I don’t need my ego stroked...

Ali Rahim.

Good , then I truly wish you the best of luck on your personal journey ,,,
    and leave you with this final thought to ponder

Coaches are '' generally not in the business of selling the '' ART OF PRETEND FIGHTING '' ...... now Sifu's , Sensei,, Masters,,Etc,,,,, have a much different track record,,,,

Personally I would not want to be lumped in with them ,,, but Hey that's just me what do I know ,, I'm just a simple coach

But seriously may your road bring you joy

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

Phil,

I'll have to track through my old Windows files, but I'll find it for you!

I recall that in old Chinese articles about Yuen and Sum they used the characters "Go Sao" (High Hand) to mean someone of advanced skill.

Andrew,

I like coach as well, though it does flood me with Best of the Best memories:

Eric Roberts: Coach he's gonna kill him!
    James Earl Jones: NO!
    ER: Tommy!
    JEJ: NO!

KPM Wrote: I prefer the term "coach" as well. It just fits better with what is expected of a martial arts instructor in the west. How am I treating my students any different than the local high school or college wrestling coach would?

Keith, here in Oz we don't have college sporting coaches or the like and we are part of the West, aren't we (tongue firmly in-cheek)? I see your point, however, and those that everybody else has been making over the last few days. I would like to offer one Australian point of view.

In my experience we have a coach for a team, who trains players, drills plays and directs procedure on game day. In individual sports, including fighting, one would have a coach (or several) while actively pursuing and competing in your field. But in the general learning of any of the martial arts we have instructors. You may be required to call the instructor sensai or sifi or what ever as a courtesy. The terms Master and Grand Master are used (and abused) here as well, but generally they are a designation that defines the level of understanding and the ability achieved, for Master and the term reserved for the current ultimate authority of the style for Grand Master. They are not used when addressing the instructor. This is very much as I understood Phil to say in one of his posts.

For what it's worth at GM Cheung school in Melbourne all of the instructors are now addressed as sihing and the Grandmaster simply as sifu.

Peter

Speaking of Movies

I like the term coach as well, in the movie “Blue Chips” Staring Nick Nolte…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-27-2008 at 09:41 PM.

I get the feeling that 'coach' as put forward by others might be closer to the western version of a 'trainer' ( akin to a personal trainer) in that they are pushing for improvement on an individual level, where as coach in aussie reminds me a bit of a footy club

Instructor or teacher (sifu or other foreign derivative) IMO can still include conveying knowledge to a group, whether that 'student' listens/learns or not is another thing entirely, as is whether the teacher cares for the students progress.

Its a lot of semantics really, but 'coaching' IMO as expressed by Ernie and others seems closer to personal one on one training and development as opposed to education of the masses.

Ernie, feel free to dump dog Sh!T on my philosophical banter.....

Quote Originally Posted by Museumtech View Post
    KPM Wrote: I prefer the term "coach" as well. It just fits better with what is expected of a martial arts instructor in the west. How am I treating my students any different than the local high school or college wrestling coach would?

Keith, here in Oz we don't have college sporting coaches or the like and we are part of the West, aren't we (tongue firmly in-cheek)? I see your point, however, and those that everybody else has been making over the last few days. I would like to offer one Australian point of view.

In my experience we have a coach for a team, who trains players, drills plays and directs procedure on game day. In individual sports, including fighting, one would have a coach (or several) while actively pursuing and competing in your field. But in the general learning of any of the martial arts we have instructors. You may be required to call the instructor sensai or sifi or what ever as a courtesy. The terms Master and Grand Master are used (and abused) here as well, but generally they are a designation that defines the level of understanding and the ability achieved, for Master and the term reserved for the current ultimate authority of the style for Grand Master. They are not used when addressing the instructor. This is very much as I understood Phil to say in one of his posts.

For what it's worth at GM Cheung school in Melbourne all of the instructors are now addressed as sihing and the Grandmaster simply as sifu.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Hi Rene, can you direct me to or email me the Chinese character for transmitter? I could only find transmit in my dictionary. I like the term coach that Ernie uses.
    Transmitter = 傳人

傳 - http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexi...p?q=%B6%C7
    人 - http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexi...rch.php?q=%A4H

Coach = 教練

教 = teach - http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexi...h.php?q=%B1%D0
    練 = practice, drill, exercise, train - http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexi...rch.php?q=%BDm
    Last edited by CFT; 02-28-2008 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reneritchie View Post
    I recall that in old Chinese articles about Yuen and Sum they used the characters "Go Sao" (High Hand) to mean someone of advanced skill.
    That's true in many Southern arts.... even Tibetan-based White Crane.

I think the term "teacher" is more than enough.
    Outside the JMA where people tend to use the title "sensei" ( more than that is never used, I even recall hearing a 9th dan say that the term sensei is more then enough for any man) I use my name or sometimes they can call me coach.
    I don't think that any term holds a higher prestige than "teacher".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !