Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Another Grandmaster of WCK

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I think the term "teacher" is more than enough.
    Outside the JMA where people tend to use the title "sensei" ( more than that is never used, I even recall hearing a 9th dan say that the term sensei is more then enough for any man) I use my name or sometimes they can call me coach.
    I don't think that any term holds a higher prestige than "teacher".
    ... except for those who, in spite of "certification", manage to degrade the profession.
    Some of our so-called "educational institutions" are just chock full of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    ... except for those who, in spite of "certification", manage to degrade the profession.
    Some of our so-called "educational institutions" are just chock full of 'em.
    True, typically people that don't hold the term "teacher" in high esteem.
    In any profession there are good professional and then there are those that give the profession a bad name.
    Teaching is more a calling then profession and like most callings, there are always some that view it as "just a job".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

True, typically people that don't hold the term "teacher" in high esteem.
    In any profession there are good professional and then there are those that give the profession a bad name.
    Teaching is more a calling then profession and like most callings, there are always some that view it as "just a job".
    Or worse.
    Some only view it as "a means to an end".... "marking time" until they get their pension.

Quote Originally Posted by namron View Post

Its a lot of semantics really, but 'coaching' IMO as expressed by Ernie and others seems closer to personal one on one training and development as opposed to education of the masses.

Ernie, feel free to dump dog Sh!T on my philosophical banter.....

No turd dumping needed ,,,, In my mind it is more like a personal trainer [ what could be more personal then trading shots with some one ! ]

people are trusting [ and paying ] you with what could '' possibly '' be dealing with a spontaneous violent encounter .....

were lives might be at risk

that's a huge responsibility and should not be taken lightly , you should be there hands on every step of the way to share your personal knowledge expose them to uncomfortable situations to develop conditioned reactions in environments to gain personal experience ,,,, then take them to other people more skilled then yourself
    encourage them to research on there own ...

it's not about collecting students , grand students and all that mess [ that's business ]

it's about whats best for the people that are putting trust in you ,,

so look out for red flags .

Funky self made titles , big organizations . levels , belts certificates [ yep i have them but they don't matter and i don't certify people LOL ]

and a big red flag is a guy that's sole income is teaching / running a school / or org

this puts his priority on '' eating and living '' not the people IMO

Wing chun is a huge pyramid scam

people ''sell'' the illusion of pretend fighting ,,,,,,,,, and the sheep line up ,, Baahh I want to be like Grand master BAHHH I want to be like sifu ,, BBAAHH he loves me more he will tell me the special inner circle secret ,,,ETc,,,

Just look at the clown that was the start of this thread
    Last edited by Ernie; 02-28-2008 at 08:24 AM.
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Great Post!!!

I’m not looking for a pat on the back… I have help students with their rent, food sometime their families stayed at my home when they have no where to go…

I have a 20-foot speed boat that I let my student’s use to go fishing to help feed their families... Let’s face it gentlemen, someone has to stand up and help those that are in need…

I’m blessed and by being blessed, I will help those in need by giving blessing…

To me it’s more then a job, I truly, really care for my students, just as my sifu did for me…

Not just my student, but for just about anyone in need...

My wife and I even help buy clothing for some of their children, just as my sifu did for me...

And no one kow tow to me, ever, I WON’T allow it…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-28-2008 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    . . . and a big red flag is a guy that's sole income is teaching /
    Hey Ernie you mean like Yip Man?
    No pretend fighting at our school We bang bro. I teach full time and so does Keith Mazza. Our school is open all day so that students can come and train even between class time. If they have questions or need help we are there for them. Some people come and train all day when they are on vacation. You are right in some instances but not in our case. I've known Keith about 30 years and we remember the old Chinatown days when non-Chinese were not welcome and were taught differently from the Chinese students. So we make sure students get quality teaching.
    So they don't go through jump through hoops to get information like we had to do.
    We want students to think for themselves. We always say 'don't live in a box'.
    There's no dogma here. You'd have to visit our school to see what I mean.
    We are like a family here and we strive for good quality students who can prove their abilities in point and full contact events and some are champions.

We train boxers including a professional at the NJ school.The boxers wouldn't be there if they didn't see the effectiveness of what we're teaching. We have the best of both worlds. The familial one on one "coach" environment and we do it with a number of students. Sometime we may have three other Sifus teaching in one class to give some individual instruction to anyone who may need it. The advantage of having lots of students is that they get to work on many different body types during a class. So the 'red flag' idea doesn't stand in our case and probably other schools.
    One of the good thing about an open forum is that people have different views. You've expressed yours and here's mine.
    Having a large school doesn't mean people are sheep or that they don't get good instruction. Teaching full time doesn't make you a bad teacher. It could mean that you got tired of having a boss, punching a clock and want to be your own boss doing what you love to do. And I must love what I'm doing because I'm not making the big bucks.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

LOL ,,, I was waiting for you on that one phil ,,,,

but be honest bro ,,, best training one ever gets is one on one [ old school back yard style ] or with a small group of guys that are all on the same page

no fluff just cats all on the same page ,,
    as for Yip ,,, amazing what the need to eat and a opium habit can do eh !

on the real ,, we do have different views on this stuff ,, you know i would be shot if i was caught in a uniform with a silk belt LOL ,,, hell i would shoot myself !!!

but i wont deny that you got game brother ,, I respect you very much on that level ...

now come visit cali again so we can listen to some good live music , have some drinks and trade pak saus

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

No worries Ernie.
    On another note. There are large BJJ organizations that have full time instructors, certify students using TJMA belt ranking systems. Some of these schools are producing good fighters. So the notion that anyone runing a full time school is a charlatan is whack. The way I see it is the proof that you are teaching correctly is to produce fighters. Get students (who want to fight), out there competing against people outside of their school. If you can do it though the "coach" method or in a large school it doesn't matter. So if you're not producing fighters then what's the point?
    The bottom line is that students can use their skills in the ring, in the street, doing club security or what ever. We have many NJ tough guys come into our school wanting to test WC. I could tell some some good stories. Some of them joined the school after they realized what they were into. Like Moses Powell once said. I've seen people do some fantastic things in the martial arts but all I want to know is if they can fight.
    p.s. I like my silk pajamas . . .lol
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 02-28-2008 at 11:31 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

p.s. I like my silk pajamas . . .lol
    And Gene LeBell wears a Pink Gi.
    Nuff said abut attire..
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

And Gene LeBell wears a Pink Gi.
    Nuff said abut attire..
    Still looks gay even if he kicks my ass ,, i will be cracking jokes

Phil point taken [ if people are training with a goal is the key ] but large org bring corruption we see this time and time again ,, no need to name names ,,, for me better to avoid all that mess and just stay true to training ,,
    reality is you don't need them anyway

I don't think he could pass for gay . . . .lol
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I think the term "teacher" is more than enough.
    Outside the JMA where people tend to use the title "sensei" ( more than that is never used, I even recall hearing a 9th dan say that the term sensei is more then enough for any man) I use my name or sometimes they can call me coach.
    I don't think that any term holds a higher prestige than "teacher".
    Yes, at the end of the day, they are all teachers, but again, a master will have achieved a deeper understanding than a mere teacher and a Grand Master, even more so than a master and so on.

Of course,humility is,or is supposed to be, part of kung fu mastery and I for one have not come across any kung fu masters who ask to be referred to as masters and not sifus.

Thanks Chee,
    p.s. What makes transmitter any different from Louhsi, or Gaausi?
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 02-28-2008 at 06:03 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Thanks Chee,
    p.s. What makes transmitter any different from Louhsi, or Gaausi?
    Transmitter = 傳人
    at the same time means inheritor or successor.

Quote Originally Posted by duckabolo View Post
    Transmitter = 傳人
    at the same time means inheritor or successor.
    I don't know your name but thank you as well.
    It seeems as though Chyun Yahn (inheritor or successor), has the connotation
    some special knowledge to transmit, like the Grandmaster of a system.
    jk, but you get my point.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr