Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kendo

Originally posted by Kristoffer
    I just read an article about film producer Akira Kurosawa. Turns out he trained Kendo everyday as a kid. And his father had samurai ancestors.

just wanted to throw that out

Interesting.

Kendo

I will be going to view Obukan Kendo Club's practice on Thursday.

( http://www.obukan.com/ )

I am very excited about this. I looked into this kendo club a couple of years ago, however there was not a location/club in my city for me to attend/join. It appears that now the Okuban Club has a thursday Dojo in my vicinity.

I, like many others, have been a large fan of Japanese fencing for some time now. Though I never was able to recieve any formal training, I have taken it upon myself to familiarize myself with many aspects of this art when ever able. I have a friend who used to spar with me a lot with bokken, I think I will persuade him to join as well.

I will post updates of my new adventure in this thread.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I will be going to view Obukan Kendo Club's practice on Thursday.

( http://www.obukan.com/ )

I am very excited about this. I looked into this kendo club a couple of years ago, however there was not a location/club in my city for me to attend/join. It appears that now the Okuban Club has a thursday Dojo in my vicinity.

I, like many others, have been a large fan of Japanese fencing for some time now. Though I never was able to recieve any formal training, I have taken it upon myself to familiarize myself with many aspects of this art when ever able. I have a friend who used to spar with me a lot with bokken, I think I will persuade him to join as well.

I will post updates of my new adventure in this thread.
    Kendo is great fun, and a superb exercise.
    It is NOT swordsmanship, but nevertheless, one can train certain tools there.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

From what I gather they also practice Iaido.

The last thursday of each month I believe is dedicated to Iaido. Which should prove to be super fun. I only wish they had more than Thursdays available in my area. Though with luck, perhaps there is an informal setting that I can become involved in.

I am hoping that if I can get my friend to sign up, this will re-initiate our personal sparring practice.

We include the following wooden weapons when we spar.

Staff
    Bokken (large and small, single and double)
    Broadsword (chinese)
    Straightsword (chinese)
    Tonfa
    Sai's (metal, dull)
    Naginata
    Misc.

It's been about a year since we sparred on a regular basis. Friend had a son.

Secretly this is one way for me revitalizing my friends passion for weapons and sparring. So that we can fight some more

Also this will be a great place for me to test various aspects of my training, as well as give me a competative format to play in.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

From what I gather they also practice Iaido.

The last thursday of each month I believe is dedicated to Iaido. Which should prove to be super fun. I only wish they had more than Thursdays available in my area. Though with luck, perhaps there is an informal setting that I can become involved in.

I am hoping that if I can get my friend to sign up, this will re-initiate our personal sparring practice.

We include the following wooden weapons when we spar.

Staff
    Bokken (large and small, single and double)
    Broadsword (chinese)
    Straightsword (chinese)
    Tonfa
    Sai's (metal, dull)
    Naginata
    Misc.

It's been about a year since we sparred on a regular basis. Friend had a son.

Secretly this is one way for me revitalizing my friends passion for weapons and sparring. So that we can fight some more

Also this will be a great place for me to test various aspects of my training, as well as give me a competative format to play in.
    I am not a fan of Iaido, I am one of Kendo, I see very little "matial value" in iaido.

It sure looks like fun though!

How does Kendo Kata differ from Kenjutsu?

Does Kendo kata use the shinai or bokken, or would that normally be dependant on the style?

I loved kendo and iaido back in college

Kendo kata is usually performed with bokken, however I've seen it practiced with live blades. That's super hardcore, though. One tiny mistake and...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

How does Kendo Kata differ from Kenjutsu?

Does Kendo kata use the shinai or bokken, or would that normally be dependant on the style?
    Kendo is a "generic" term but is usually applied to the sport art of Kendo and is practised with a Shinai- Bamboo stick, simply because that is what you will be using in competition.
    The MA of Kendo is practiced with a Bokken/Bokuto and a shinai and with NO protective gear, except for when you spar.

kenjutsu is not a " stand alone MA" per say, it is usually part of a MA ryu ( school), like the Yagyu shinkahe ry or the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu or that Nen Ryu, etc, etc.
    It is done exclusively with a bokken/bokuto in most systems or with a special bamboo sword ( not the typical shinai) in certain systems like the Yagyu shinkage ryu.
    Iaido is a performance MA, Batto-jutsu or iai-jutsu being the "practical" MA version of it.
    Differences being that in Batto-jutsu you don't kneel, you crouch and you MUST test cut.

Gene you sly dog. If I join the club and am to purchase gear on my own, i'll be sure to come here. Though I think they will fit me to gear, and may have their own vendor source. Ill find out though.

Sanjuro, thanks for the response.

I'm mainly interested in doing this for the sport aspect. Seems like it will be lots of fun. Though if the club has more representation than just sport kendo, that would not be unwelcome.

When I did kendo...

...we used shinai and bogu for sparring, suburito for drills and bokken for kata.

I had an old gunto refurbished for iai and battojitsu. It was an ugly beast, but that was appropriate for me at the time. I still have all my gear but I haven't done any kendo for maybe two decades now. There's actually a club really close to my home, but I barely have time to do my kung fu practice nowadays, so my gear just takes up space...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

That my friend is the JMA that is taught to the Japanese Self Defense force ( Japan;s military).
    I forget what is called.
    It is a very well rounded MA.

It just looks funny. Randomly found that image.

It looks like those old cartoons where they have the round little boxing gloves on.

curious, why that headgear? why not regular sparring headgear? If its so they can go 100% full force, why dont more people adopt that headgear?

Ive never worn it, but it seems like it restricts your movement a bit.

It just looks funny. Randomly found that image.

It looks like those old cartoons where they have the round little boxing gloves on.

curious, why that headgear? why not regular sparring headgear? If its so they can go 100% full force, why dont more people adopt that headgear?

Ive never worn it, but it seems like it restricts your movement a bit.
    Tradition I think and also they tend to spar with sticks and bamboo knives ( think small shinai).