Thread: Jow Ga kung fu-Is this true?

Jow Ga kung fu-Is this true?

Hi,

Having very little Jow Ga knowledge other than it combines aspects of Hung Ga with N. Shaolin, I hope someone can tell me if this is true:

I have heard that JG combines Tiger and Leopard into one style but ALSO Phoenix and Eagle forms/moves. Is this true?

Thanks.

LTN

Hi,
    Im a 4th Generation Disciple who trained from Grandmaster Jung Gong Seng. Shaolin Jow Ga is a combined style of Hung Gar and Choy Gar plus some Northern Shaolin Kicks. This great style indeed contains the famous Tiger Leopard (Fu Pao) Form.

There are no Eagal in it more like Tiger Claw and Crane in it and Phoenix Fist.

While there is a siu ying jow (small eagle fist) form i would not say eagle is
    a characteristic of jow ga. Jow ga also once known as Hung Tao Choy Mei or
    "Hung head, Choy tail" and patterns of tiger and leapord. Do you study jow ga
    LTN?

Hi,

Thank you for your responses all! I do not study JG. It seems there are not many sifus teaching it and the ones who do seem to be centered on the east coast.

With what was mentioned about Phoenix eye fist, it seems JG is very much like Bak Mei.I mention this b/c in the book "The complete guide to kung fu fighting styles by Jane Hallander" it is written that Bak Mei makes extensive use of the phoenix eye..and since BM also combines Tiger and Leopard into the style..would it be safe to say that Jow Ga and Bak Mei are almost the same style?

Can anyone comment who may have experience in both JG and BM?

I am by NO means an authority and i do not study bak mei and while there may
    be some things complimentary they are by no means alike as far as i know.
    Of the members of this forum, Tailik may be the most informed about this but i
    don't think he frequents here much lately. You could try to pm him. Where in the
    midwest are you?? Sifu Sam Chan teaches in Michigan and i believe he has a
    couple seniors who now teach as well. Not sure where though. His site is
    www.chanskungfu.com.
    Last edited by jow yeroc; 01-30-2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: wrong url

Yeah, bak mei is in no way like jow gar. Bak mei would have a closer relationship with styles like lung ying, yau gung mun and lam tong long. Whereas jow gar has a look more similar to styles like hung gar, CLF or hung fut.

Quote Originally Posted by southernkungfu View Post
    There are no Eagal in it more like Tiger Claw and Crane in it and Phoenix Fist.
    I know of at least 1 eagle form. Who is your sifu?

Jow ga to me can be described as Buk Siu CLF combined with some Hung Ga.
    Last edited by monji112000; 01-30-2008 at 11:48 AM.

For all that is Jow Ga I'd recommend their forum

http://www.jowgaforum.com/

Smile Interested in Jow Ga

Quote Originally Posted by jow yeroc View Post
    While there is a siu ying jow (small eagle fist) form i would not say eagle is
    a characteristic of jow ga. Jow ga also once known as Hung Tao Choy Mei or
    "Hung head, Choy tail" and patterns of tiger and leapord. Do you study jow ga
    LTN?
    I study WingChun but I am very interested in Jow Ga. Is very difficult to learn? I understand that real martial arts takes time. I am prepared. Do you know if it is possible to learn Jow Ga from dvd's? I thought at first that this form of training was inadequate. But I have met some wingchun practitioners who are very good that trained in distance learning through dvd's.

This why I asked that question. I have never encountered a Jow Ga school in Michigan at least not near Detroit.

Re; Jow ga difficulty, my answer would not be objective. IMO it will depend on
    who you study with. It also depends on how much you put into it. At any school
    there are some students who train extra hard and often and usually get the
    better results. There are not many Jow ga vids out there. Good luck on that.
    Other than Ron Wheeler's tapes which i have not seen. Again IMO and my
    experience has been it is difficult. My teacher is big on strong stance/footwork
    so if you don't like horse....
    But then unless one is super talented, all MA are difficult unless they are just
    crap.
    Not sure where in Michigan Chan's school is but he teaches Jow and WC.
    Good luck. You're always welcome to come to VA

Check Chans site becuz he may have distance learning program. Not sure.
    Last edited by jow yeroc; 02-25-2008 at 12:13 PM.

I like the way you Jow Ga guys do it. My best Kung Fu friend down here (Keung Kwok Ping - http://www.jowga.co.za) is a Jow Ga teacher. We do allot of demos and lion dances together, and I see what they do. I really like their style, and if everyone in the Jow Ga community is like Raymond Keung, I think you guys have a great family.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

I appreciate that Eddie! And thanks for that link. Didnt' know there was a
    Jow kwoon in S.A.