Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMA & violence

Hybrid View

MMA & violence

I almost put this under Busted Teachers, but it didn't quite fit there.

Fight promoter denies link to shooting
    By Suzanne Fournier, The Province
    Published: Monday, February 18, 2008

A shooting on the Musqueam reserve during a mixed martial arts event had nothing to do with band members, say the fight promoters.

Tim Thurston, 33, was shot in the leg outside the Musqueam gymnasium Saturday night. The fighter is in Vancouver General Hospital after undergoing surgery for a fractured femur and is expected to make a full recovery.

Vancouver police said yesterday they have made no arrests in connection with the shooting.

Gerry Gionco, a Vancouver boxing promoter who supplied the ring and equipment for the event, said the shooting "had absolutely nothing to do with the event. People were milling around afterwards and there were just some punks who had been hanging around bothering the fighter earlier when he was trying to concentrate."

Fight promoter T.J. Thomas of Honour Combat Championships said he is "really saddened" by the shooting.

"The reserve doesn't deserve bad press because they had nothing to do with it and we did everything we could to run a great event," said Thomas.

He said he is angry at Musqueam band member Gail Sparrow, a former chief, who said the sport was not welcome on the reserve.

"We did everything with the co-operation of the Musqueam Chief, Ernie Campbell. In fact, we have a photo of him in the ring with the fighters," said Thomas. "Mixed martial arts is the most popular, fastest-growing sport in Canada."

Mixed martial arts is banned in Vancouver and many other B.C. municipalities.

Promoters of the sport have been staging events on the Squamish Nation gym for many years, because reserves are not subject to local bylaws.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    enh, if you look at the actions of some of the crowds at even the UFC events (and the fact that alchohol is served) it stands to reason that there will be violence associated with the event.

add to that, seemingly in this case, young men will often laugh and ridicule things that they either don't understand or are too scared/insecure to try themselves.

if I were a hippie, I'd say someone should reach out to those young men.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

MA without some sort of discipline is nothing but a potential powder keg.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I don't even like going to live events unless I'm cornering a fighter. The crowd is full of idiots. Because they are watching fighting, some idiots think they can fight.

When I used to go to a local speedway it was similar. After watching the races you would always have a few idiots in their cars leaving and driving like they were race car drivers.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    I don't even like going to live events unless I'm cornering a fighter. The crowd is full of idiots. Because they are watching fighting, some idiots think they can fight.

When I used to go to a local speedway it was similar. After watching the races you would always have a few idiots in their cars leaving and driving like they were race car drivers.
    Or coming out of a given MA movie !

Ah kids...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Or coming out of a given MA movie !

Ah kids...
    We were so lauging at the gym the other day about that. We were saying how wherever that new MMA movie plays the parking lot will be filled with motorcycles, and the theater full of guys with shaved heads, goatees, tattoos, and Tapout shirts who have never trained a day in their lives.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

where i stand...

MMA is a fücking joke. there is no art whatsoever involved in the mma... none. it is the byproduct of fear... men fighting in cages like animals-ironically there are rules. it is an attempt to sever the classic master-disciple relationship... it promotes fear, hate, violence, anger, and aggression... it is an insult to all true martial artists.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    MMA is a fücking joke. there is no art whatsoever involved in the mma... none. it is the byproduct of fear... men fighting in cages like animals-ironically there are rules. it is an attempt to sever the classic master-disciple relationship... it promotes fear, hate, violence, anger, and aggression... it is an insult to all true martial artists.
    dear lord, another one

what's the matter, did the big bad MMA guy kick sand in your face and kiss your girlfriend?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    dear lord, another one
    well that is what happens when the immune system gets fired up... the re-enforcements coagulate.
    what's the matter, did the big bad MMA guy kick sand in your face and kiss your girlfriend?
    actually the big bad McMartial Arts guy couldn't handle the job and quit... as for one of those fûckers kissing my girlfriend... ha, she's a more solid backfist than any dipsh!t MMA'er. all ego and entertainment. the MMA is for show buisness... eat that tough guy's.
    Last edited by uki; 09-12-2008 at 03:54 AM.

That's nice but the backfist is still a dumb punch.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    That's nice but the backfist is still a dumb punch.
    what better way to knock out a dumb McMartial artist than with a dumb punch...

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    Where on earth does all this vehemence come from? Haven't you smoked your bowl yet this morning?!

Are there any other sportsmen you detest? Ping-pong players perhaps? Rowers? Volleyball players?

Most guys in MMA train very hard. It's no joke. You sound from your posts like you train hard (good for you) but you're always banging on to others on here about not having experienced your training so not being qualified to comment, yet how much of a serious MMA competition training programme have you experienced?

One the nicest guys I know is a proMMAer: he grew up with wrestling, learnt the whole of the wing chun system first, then fought Thai in Thailand, followed by Japan for jujutsu and submission wrestling. He's a humble nice guy, and supremely skilled. And I've met a lot of smug dismissive vehement TCMAers who accidentally wander onto the wrong board and start posting **** about things they know nothing about...!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Where on earth does all this vehemence come from?
    nature...
    Most guys in MMA train very hard. It's no joke.
    i am not saying they do not train hard... but i believe their reasons for training hard are outta line.
    You sound from your posts like you train hard (good for you) but you're always banging on to others on here about not having experienced your training so not being qualified to comment, yet how much of a serious MMA competition training programme have you experienced?
    i work hard, my entire day is a training day... but i train to be of service to others, not to win competitions and satisfy a false sense of accomplishment.

And I've met a lot of smug dismissive vehement TCMAers who accidentally wander onto the wrong board and start posting **** about things they know nothing about...!
    i wandered right to where i was supposed to go and i am posting the things that need to be posted... random chance of choice.

Is it just me, or is this a twisting Blooming of the Lotus?
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    Is it just me, or is this a twisting Blooming of the Lotus?
    twisting up from under the mud...