Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MMA & violence

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    What is the point then?

You said it might fall on the shoulders of coaches in MMA gyms. So I pointed out that the poseurs who open gyms have no clue anyway. Notice you never see guys from legit gyms involved in this stuff.

I know no one I've ever trained with would do this crap. And I train under legit guys who have proven experience and lineage.
    I'll refute that statement... and with a video link, too.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/vide...304302008&ts=H
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If the people teaching it don't care, why should the trainee?
    That's my point. You can't expect an unqualified guy who opened up an MMA gym to cash in on the MMA craze or stroke his ego to instill values in the students.

Becca, my vid player at work is all jacked up. What was in that vid?
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Sorry, couldn't find the story in print, only in vid. It's a story out of Cincinatti on the children's MMA program run by JG MMA Academy. Jorge Gurgel is very well known in most MMA circles as a good solid trainer.

(note: see Tu & th at 5pm)
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

MMA doesn't promote violence, and I'll kick anyone's arse who says otherwise!!!!
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Becca, running a kids MMA program and having your students playing MMA fighter in the streets are two diffent things entirely.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Becca, running a kids MMA program and having your students playing MMA fighter in the streets are two diffent things entirely.
    Agreed. BUT..... you teach them young how to do MMA, then deny them the chance to compete till they are 16, the kids are going to go roll in the park. It really has little to do with the trainer. What I got from what you were posting was that a good teacher would not teach a kid the wrong way and most of the people opening MMA clubs lately have no clue about MMA, as you define it. JG MMA is a very well know club run by experienced MMA fighters and world renowned trainers. But all thier training aint going to keep a basically good kid with training from being goaded into a fight. I used to be one of those moms who was shocked when my kid did something morronic that he knew better than to do. Then I woke up. Good kids do dumb things because they don't engage the brain before the mouth/body/ego, ect. You train a 6-year-old, you will get a kid who ends up using it before the age of 18. And probably before a crowd of people. MMA is the "in thing" so rolling in the park is a quick ticket to being one of the in kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Agreed. BUT..... you teach them young how to do MMA, then deny them the chance to compete till they are 16, the kids are going to go roll in the park.
    You do know there are kids divisions in BJJ tournamnets right? You do know kids can box like in Jr Golden Gloves? You do know kids can wrestle in wrestling tournaments right? That's competing.

What park were the kids rolling at again?

It really has little to do with the trainer. What I got from what you were posting was that a good teacher would not teach a kid the wrong way and most of the people opening MMA clubs lately have no clue about MMA, as you define it.
    It has alot to do with the trainer, and with the parents.

I never said MOST trainers have no clue, I said there are SOME people who have been caught teaching without the proper experience to do so.

JG MMA is a very well know club run by experienced MMA fighters and world renowned trainers. But all thier training aint going to keep a basically good kid with training from being goaded into a fight.
    The JGMMA trainer said NONE of their kids there have ever fought outside of the gym!

Also, IMO if you goad someone and you get beat, you deserved it. How is it a bad thing for one kid to fight another kid who STARTS crap with him?

MMA is the "in thing" so rolling in the park is a quick ticket to being one of the in kids.
    Again, where is this rolling in the park you speak of?

Sorry. Forgot you like to reinvent and rephrase your posts when others find logical faults with them. I will stop this immediatly. As far as what park... did you even read Gene's last post? Or was you regular browser not working, like your video, either?

Sorry. Forgot you like to reinvent and rephrase your posts when others find logical faults with them.
    Did I alter any posts in any way?

As far as what park... did you even read Gene's last post? Or was you regular browser not working, like your video, either?
    Yup. It mentioned kids fighting in a park. The kids ran away when the police arrived. So no one can say for certain the kids train MMA at a gym. It also said this:

"Bracken[a MMA gym owner and coach] said anyone interested in MMA should follow the proper channels and begin taking classes instead of taking it the parks. One of the most important aspects, he said, is not the fighting itself, but the discipline, technique and respect that it teaches."

The scary part is you just more or less agreed with what i've been saying, and you're absolutely convinced you got the best of this argument.

You know me better than I do.

It APPEARS you think teaching kids MMA is a bad thing, I think it's not a bad thing if done properly. And it sounds like the gym mentioned in the vid is one of the ones doing it properly.

I'll be glad when MMA craze cools its jets. All these Dieselheads really annoy the community of martial arts. If it weren't illegal, the posers would have been run out of town all over the world by real MA experts a long time ago. Alas the wild west, so to speak, is over. For better or worse? I don't know.

But it's time for all martial arts to evolve.

Security

Gyms should sign up their MMA guys to provide security for the place, kick people out more. A lot of guys go to things like that to cause a ruckus, they should be slapped on the wrists and thrown out in a blaze of pathetic glory. The government should simply make laws about security at those things, less security at concerts and more at big crazed white guy fests.
    As for MMA its high time it gives up the dogged military crap and start taking on some of the 70s style of martial arts, I'm sick of watching dudes sprawled out with their gracie ****. Western wrestling, sambo, and the sort of mongol/hung-gar/sanshou stuff is where the grappling should be going. That stuffs better than pro-wrestling for the spectator and its real.

I didn't realize there was censorship, gracie s wards.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Conway View Post
    Gyms should sign up their MMA guys to provide security for the place, kick people out more. A lot of guys go to things like that to cause a ruckus, they should be slapped on the wrists and thrown out in a blaze of pathetic glory. The government should simply make laws about security at those things, less security at concerts and more at big crazed white guy fests...
    Awwww... Did somebody get kicked out of a concert?

If you don't like modern MMA then don't watch it. I'm not sure where you are making the distinction between Jiujitsu and wrestling. Have you actually seen submissionwrestling latly?